• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Decision making...would you really accept or denie the offer? [2]

Cazzicles

This time, i'll be bulletproof
Years
  • I wouldn't push the button; why cause someone/their family grief just for your selfish pleasures?
    No.

The Darkest Gale

Welcome to my life
    Years
  • it would depend how they died because a long painful one I wouldn't but if it was
    b) someone who hated me and I hated them
    c) hated there life, then I probably would :/
    I know thats pretty sick but I wouldn't on most circomstances not unless it was any of them :(

oh or if it was a murderer or terrorist then absoloutly. nuff said they have ruined lives :(

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
  • People, it's so nice to hear so many different opinions on the issue. I'm really glad you took the interest, thanks for sharing.

If human clone is real and the probability of killing one of the mass production clones is high
    or else, I will push the button because the chance of killing someone important is very low.
    I can see you've never heard about how personality develops itself on everyone, but that's ok. So that you know, basically, your genes are just part of the equation. If there were 6 billion clones of the same person on the planet, none of them would be the same person, so I guess, still if there were clones (in wich case you would be aware they're different people ;)), it would be no deal for you.

It would depend on the manner/implications of the person's death. If I had no way of knowing who I was killing, then I wouldn't push the button. I mean, if the person I killed were some horrible criminal or a terrorist or something, then hell yeah I'd take the money, but I wouldn't want to take the chance that I'd be killing someone good.

That arises another interesting reflection:
    What is being a good person? It's very subjective. If you're jewish for instance, I'd be a bad person if I ate pork. If you were me, I'd be a bad person if I ate any animal, or even eggs, milk or honey.
    For that matter, my take on it is you can't ever know what really is goodness, you can just do everything you can, to absorpt the max out of life, and fight your lungs out for what you believe in.

SINCE WHEN HAS MONEY EVER MADE A DIFFERENCE? Even if you had no money, SOMEONE in this world would be nice enough to help you out, if you killed someone you could ruin said chance for another. Ultimately that could lead to another life lost.

That's really something I often question myself about. Money is virtual. Lives are damn real. Also, no one really wants to know my neverending takes on the virtual/real issue. :laugh:
    But hey, what if the random person was your future child too? Yeah wouldn't that just suck? :D Orrr, what if someone pressed the button and killed YOU.

JACKPOT!

So, now for the tale!

From The Twighlight Zone (YEAH, I'M THAT OLD, SO WHAT?:D), translated from a version I found in Portuguese, nevermind my grammar. ;)

In a fine summer morning, a young just-married couple gets a visit from a guy in white. Though he looks like a real estate agent, there's something dark upon the visitor.
    — I have an offer to make — he says.
    He then opens his briefcase and shows the couple a little box with a shining gadget and a red button.
    — This is gonna be here for the next 24h. If you push the button, someone you don't know will die immediatly.
    — That's silly! Why would we push the button?
    — Cause you would get a million dollars!
    After emphathizing the person who would die was unknown to them, the little man in white said goodbye and left.
    At first, the couple thought it was a joke, but soon started to talk, and take on account all pros and cons they could think of. Adam, Eva and the forbidden fruit. At night - and on her initiative, the biblical tale would repeat itself on detail, even with the hissing of a snake that would appear in dreams - they took the courage and pushed the button.
    The next day, the man in white came back with a briefcase full of money. It was no joke, the money was there, someone they didn't know was really dead.
    — I hope you enjoy the money — said the man in white. — Now I shall take my box and look for another customer.
    — Customer? — said the woman, intrigued. — You'll make someone else the same offer?
    — Sure — said the man, closing his briefcase. — And be sure this person doesn't know you!

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't know. You can't really say how you're going to react to these situations because they're just too big to comprehend. I'm sure it's easy to type on your keyboard, 'no, I wouldn't take the money, I value human life too much for that,' but if you were actually put in the situation, I have no doubt that all of us would at least think about pressing the button. And then there are the people who say stuff like, 'one person? I'd kill a hundred people for a million dollars!' who, if given the opportunity, probably couldn't handle killing anybody, even if they didn't know who it was.

A good question, jupotatoes, but an unanswerable one.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
  • A good question, jupotatoes, but an unanswerable one.

That's why it's a good one! ;) It raises big discussions.
    Also, that's just why I didn't try to express my own take on it: ya can't really know what you'd do hypothetically. You really have to be there.
    The thread was real fun though, I'm glad you all had something to share.
    I might do this more often then :D

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    What happen if everyone in the world will get a chance to press it?
    or you must decide in 10 seconds.

Sonikku

Super Speedie Sweetie
    Years
  • Me I'm the type to press big red buttons:badsmile: But to end someone's life? Strangers are just friends we haven't met yet so why would you murder your best friend?

Last edited:

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    According to stereotypes, a teenager jock who wanted to be cool will press the button without thinking

In abstraction, the question becomes: Which is more important? A random person's life or one million dollars?

Here is a different question: There are 2 buttons in front of you. you must press one of them in 10 seconds.
    If you press the first one, one of your family member will die, for the second one, the President will die. If you didn't press anything in 10 seconds, YOU will die? What will you choose?
    Think about the fear and panic in 10 seconds.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • Be a murderer for a million dollars? No, no way. I'd pass, since that'd just show how much of a bad person I am. It's just wrong to do something like that, even just to further yourself in life. I know that I wouldn't do something like that; I'm not just saying it to go with the crowd or look like a nice person.

Here is a different question: There are 2 buttons in front of you. you must press one of them in 10 seconds.
    If you press the first one, one of your family member will die, for the second one, the President will die. If you didn't press anything in 10 seconds, YOU will die? What will you choose?

I'd probably immediately press the second one to kill the President. I've never trusted Obama anyway. Don't ask me why, I just don't.

btw, why don't you make a thread for that question rather than post it here? It'd make a better impression like that.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wouldn't push the button. You don't know the person who will die but that doesn't really matter - killing one person is the same as killing another. And just think, what if somebody else had this opportunity, somebody from another country suddenly presses the button and kills you to pocket a cool million? Not only is it morally wrong to do this, it'd have terrible side effects as well. For one, you would be aware that you have ended the life of another person and be haunted by the guilt that comes with it for the rest of your life. Also, you have to remember that money does not buy happiness. Having a million dollars isn't going to solve all of life's problems (although it'd be nice).

So definitely not.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I would only cause I don't care for those who I do not know. Not to mention I get to smack a big red shiny button for money. Cruel yes? Rich afterwards? Hell yes! Only way I would care is if I go to heaven to find out I never got married cause she was my soulmate. XD

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
  • Only way I would care is if I go to heaven to find out I never got married cause she was my soulmate. XD
    statistically speaking, there are more hardened criminals and corrupt businessmen in the world than there are certifiable saints, which means that in this little gamble, the odds of killing someone that deserves to burn in Hell is greater than the odds of killing someone that's already earned their way into Heaven...
    People, there's no heaven, hell or god. Live with it. I do, makes me wonders.

That's just too easy, I live in Brazil. :P
    Decision making...would you really accept or denie the offer? [2]

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well only if I was the only one with the chance to push that button. I guess I'd press it. Because there is ALWAYS a chance to Prove Chuck Norris mortal :P

Or if everyone had a chance to press it, I'd punch the host guy, get away, and start my life as a dog.

HOLY CRAP I JUST HAD AN IDEA FOR A GAME!

Last edited:

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    I have a better answer for peace of mind: Don't press it, but I will have a chance to press that button some point in the future.

Bay

Years
  • Urgh, tough one. D:

I'm actually kind of the firm believer of this saying from the movie Wanted: "Kill one, save a thousand," or something close to that. ^^; If that person is not someone I know and he/she is a criminal and such, I would like to think that I saved more people by killing one bad egg. ^^; That, and if I get a million dollars, I would actually use a lot of it to make the world (or at least my community/state) better. No really, I will as I plan to become a philanthropist business person. D:

On the other hand, if it's someone I don't know, I would hate that I ended that person's life and that I cut off whatever future they're planning. Also, afraid that button is actually a cycle of random people dying like the Twlight Zone scene mention. D:

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Maybe think about how different type of people will respond?
    How about a third-world child? What about Bill Gates?

(offtopic) Here's something funny: A teenage jock (or prep) with a pair of cool dark sunglasses walked in front of the button. He confidently pressed the button and rapped, "YO yo yo yo yo yo YO! Press the BUTTON get MILLIONZ i don't care IF someone DIES, i just want the MONEY, MONEY YO!" Then his head a splode.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • Never, it doesn't matter about the money too me. Why? Because I wouldn't want to anyone, even if I hated them...

Sonikku

Super Speedie Sweetie
    Years
  • According to stereotypes, a teenager jock who wanted to be cool will press the button without thinking

In abstraction, the question becomes: Which is more important? A random person's life or one million dollars?

I coldn't press ether i could not live with myself knowing I was responsoble for someone's death plus the secret service and all that

Back