• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Describe pokémon to someone who doesn't know!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Say you had a friend or family member who never heard of pokémon, never saw the anime, never tried a game before. How would you describe pokémon to them to try and get them to like it? The franchise as a whole, that is.

Part-question: what medium would you suggest that they start with, if you wanted them to start enjoying pokémon? The TCG, manga, games etc.​

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
    Years
  • Been there, done that, and my family never understood it. My parents did a little though and my brother liked it but I was more of a hardcore fan than he was.

If I were to convert someone to Pokémon ({XD}), I'd have them get familiar with the names of them and the moves they use and so forth first before watching the show or playing the games.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
  • I wouldn't tell them anything about it, but instead of introduce them to Pokemon the same way my cousins introduced me to it: let whoever I'm showing it to play around with a Gameboy for a bit and answer any questions they ask.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    This sounds easy enough. I'd tell them Pokemon is a (sadly) fictional world full of fictional creatures that people train and battle, hoping to collect all 8 Gym Badges which house the toughest trainers of each type of pokemon, and eventually become the strongest trainer in the region/world. I'd make them start with the games. Probably make them start with Gold/Silver, its got the retro feel but is less..brisk I guess than Red/Blue.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I tell them it's about catching magical creatures based on real animals, plants, and inanimate objects and use them to fight other magical creatures. I recommend them to play FR/LG first, for it's a remake of the original titles, and playing the later games will easily get them lost due to references and continuity nods from older titles.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
    Years
  • "Let me tell you about Pokémon!" hehe, sorry, couldn't hold myself xD

"So there's a kid. That kid is You. Name him like that if you want. You -the character- ends up with a mysterious creature -Pokémon, plants, pets, purses, name it, and it's probably a Pokémon- after some shenanigans involving a local Pokémon researcher, becoming what is referred to as a "Pokémon Trainer", and you -you- command these creatures as they duke it out over these badges and leagues as they decide who's the bauss of them. You use these magical Pokéball thingies to catch more Pokémon. And to be in a Pokémon League you must prove your strength! You must go to these gyms. No exercise machinimas here, just more dudes with Pokémon who are obnoxious and won't let you thru unless you beat them or walk around them. The Leaders are serious and strong Trainers. Stay away from Miltank's Rollout!

There are a lot of Pokémon across these Routes and Caves and Seas and whatnot. You must collect as many as possible! A series featuring some Ash guy has him travel all known regions of the main-series -and some original- as he tries to become the very best! But get this: HE SUUUUUCKS! But you won't, you will even bring an evil team down with just six Pokéballs! And you must help people out wherever you go! Tedious? A lot. But it'll be rewarding! A Trainer named Joey will probably call you if you're playing certain versions of the games. Do. Not. Answer. Him. You will meet Legendary Pokémon! There's only one of each! Your journey could be slow, or fast if you're a speed runner by nature! Just toss Pokéballs wherever you go and you'll be okay!

And never catch a Feebas. They are ugly as hell!"​

... I did my best effort to describe it xD
    Oh, and if they don't like old -as in awesome- gen graphics, they could jump right on HGSS or maybe FRLG :3 Or the Anime. Assuming they don't end up hating it as much as I do :p

Back