• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • Unlimited data plans are quickly becoming a thing of the past in the US too. I hated to give mine up when I upgraded my phone last time, but I do a fair bit of browsing and don't even come near my cap, so it hasn't been too much of an adjustment. I just try to remember to turn wi-fi on before downloading updates or browsing at home.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If I were to sign up for the same plan as I have right now, I'd have only 2 GB of data - a far cry from the 12 GB that I actually got.

Years
  • I don't have a data plan on my phone, but sometimes I wish I did.. and yeah, it's unfortunate that unlimited data is going away slowly in the US.. I'm fortunate that my ISP at home doesn't cap data nor do they have foreseeable plans to do so either.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah I'm boned by my carrier and my ISP with capped data. I have 4GB on my phone and 250GB for my internet... it sucks man. :c

Zet

Years
  • That's still better than what you can get here in Australia, though one ISP here has a 500GB cap... if you don't care about how terrible their service is.

Years
  • Remember how I was complaining about the slow wifi at my campus? Check out their ethernet speeds from the library:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've seen bizarre upload speeds from time to time... It's like nobody is using the bandwidth.

Years
  • I honestly don't get though why the wired network is not slow like the wifi network. It's the same, shared network isn't it? Maybe I need to freshen up on my networking knowledge :p

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I honestly don't get though why the wired network is not slow like the wifi network. It's the same, shared network isn't it? Maybe I need to freshen up on my networking knowledge :p

Wireless networks can have a bad case of interference, especially on the 2.4 GHz band. (Not many mobile devices support the 5 GHz band.)

Years
  • Wireless networks can have a bad case of interference, especially on the 2.4 GHz band. (Not many mobile devices support the 5 GHz band.)
    Is there a way to check on what band is being used for the wifi then? It wouldn't surprise me if it was 2.4GHz if it's that slow.

Years
  • Is there a way to check on what band is being used for the wifi then? It wouldn't surprise me if it was 2.4GHz if it's that slow.

To my knowledge, there's no way to do this in Windows itself. If you can get to the wireless access point's administration page, you could check it there, but most access points default to the 2.4GHz frequency. Changing the frequency to 5GHz can cause a mess with any wireless landline handsets, though, since those usually use the 5GHz or 6GHz frequency.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I'm very pleased with my ISP. We have no cap and the download speed is always over 45Mb/s. The only downside is that the upload speed never gets above 2Mb/s, staying most of the time at around 1.6Mbp/s.

Years
  • Sometimes it makes me wonder why ISPs provide weird speeds like that.. some have fast downloads and slow uploads while other ISPs have slow downloads and fast downloads.

Years
  • Yeah, my speeds are fairly identical to one another, and we have fiber optics. However, many cable ISPs also have fiber optic technology as well, yet a common thing I notice with cable ISPs in the USA is that they tend to have good download speeds with atrocious upload speeds.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • It is strange indeed. We have companies that already have identical upload and download speeds through fiber optic, but they aren't so popular because they don't offer TV services.

Years
  • So I've been noticing that my phone has been appearing as a wifi network on my laptop in Windows 8. However, can it share the network if it's just wifi only or would it pull from my data?

I assume it's bluetooth tethering though, because my phone and my laptop are paired via bluetooth.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So I've been noticing that my phone has been appearing as a wifi network on my laptop in Windows 8. However, can it share the network if it's just wifi only or would it pull from my data?

I assume it's bluetooth tethering though, because my phone and my laptop are paired via bluetooth.

Congratulations on discovering a little-known feature of Windows Phone 8 :P (That's Bluetooth tethering. There's also Wi-Fi tethering...)

Years
  • Sometimes I feel with my new laptop I want to dual boot some Linux with it, but I'm not really sure to what distro I should use if I wanted to do that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back