• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • I like Android for its freedom and versatility. It can be played around with and customized in so many ways.

^ This.
    I'm reminded when I was using Symbian before I even buy an Android phone, and after I use the Android Phone, turns out I like it that some years later, I started to miss my old phone's feature because I rarely use them nowadays.

Zet

Years
  • You traitor if you get an iPhone. And lol @ Froyo omg xD
    Don't be jealous of the superior phone that works out of box. Why bother with Android when you have to a, b, c, d, and f just to get it the way you want it to work, while with iOS, it just works.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Don't be jealous of the superior phone that works out of box. Why bother with Android when you have to a, b, c, d, and f just to get it the way you want it to work, while with iOS, it just works.

Android "Just works" also. Sure you can tweak it to work more to your liking, but its fine out of the box also, usually. You just have that freedom, you don't like that keyboard? Switch it. Don't like the animations? Change them.

Also whats with all this iPhone Galaxy talk. What about the Moto X? Pretty much the best/smoothest/fastest one out, Nexus 5, Android 4.4. o.o

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ahh everyone has their own pet phone xD

But I believe the true consumer will buy his phone regardless of brand but of cost.

aka phones get a bit costly these days considering my country's inflation, importing, and poor receiving

Years
  • Although I'm definitely not an app developer, one thing I like about Android is that unlike iOS, you can run its SDK on Windows.. iirc, you have to become an Apple developer first and then also have to have a Mac to develop for iOS.

And for me, I run Android 4.3 on my tablet.. just waiting for 4.4 to come out.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • Although I'm definitely not an app developer, one thing I like about Android is that unlike iOS, you can run its SDK on Windows.. iirc, you have to become an Apple developer first and then also have to have a Mac to develop for iOS.

And for me, I run Android 4.3 on my tablet.. just waiting for 4.4 to come out.

You need OS X. Xcode is free, you only need to be an Apple Developer if you want to publish them on the (non-jailbroken) App Store.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Thankfully with KitKat's release lower specced phones should at least have it on there because it's made to be run on as little as 512mb of RAM. No more of this Froyo/Gingercrap nonsense running around.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Thankfully with KitKat's release lower specced phones should at least have it on there because it's made to be run on as little as 512mb of RAM. No more of this Froyo/Gingercrap nonsense running around.

...before any OEM customizations come into view?

You need OS X. Xcode is free, you only need to be an Apple Developer if you want to publish them on the (non-jailbroken) App Store.

The problem is that a properly licensed OS X machine costs a lot of money since it's basically a new computer. If the developer owns nothing but Windows machines, he'd have to hackintosh it.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    You won't get official support from the manufacturer. I was talking about new phones.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's actually quite interesting how Windows Phone 8.x compares to Android 4.x running on equivalent-level hardware. There's something about how fluid the former is and it practically never misses a beat.

I'm very interested in how Windows Phone 8.x holds up when paired with a quad-core Snapdragon. These devices... they're like my dream devices.

Years
  • Thankfully with KitKat's release lower specced phones should at least have it on there because it's made to be run on as little as 512mb of RAM. No more of this Froyo/Gingercrap nonsense running around.

This would explain why my Sensation with about 600 MB of RAM struggles with running apps from time to time. Its system version is 4.0.3, and it probably barely meets minimum specs for the later versions of ICS.

Years
  • I would at least hope that KitKat could perhaps resolve the random shutdowns and reboots my device has if its requirements are gonna be lower than those of Jellybean's. The device itself is smooth with Jellybean, but I would hope that stability improves.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Sadly Zach, I'm pretty convinced it's a hardware issue not software, but only KitKat's arrival will tell.

Years
  • 90% likely that it's an issue with the device itself. Pay attention to the frequency of your random shutdowns and check the battery levels after each reboot. The device firmware may be having issues communicating with the battery if the battery level drops considerably after each reboot.

Years
  • Sadly Zach, I'm pretty convinced it's a hardware issue not software, but only KitKat's arrival will tell.
    Luckily I have a 1-year warranty on the device with Best Buy, so once the KitKat update rolls around I'll watch for it to still be rebooting, and if it does I'll return it.

Somehow I think the random shutdowns were caused by notifications because they became more frequent when I began to use the tumblr app, and then I uninstalled that and they haven't happened a lot. And the reboots have been very sporadic as well. Both seem to also happen around times I receive app updates as well.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    You better get it in soon. I know you'd rather have a fully functional device.

Zet

Years
  • I'm with Mac on this. It's definitely hardware related, and you're going to need to do something asap. I'm only saying this because I used to have a first gen Windows Phone, and almost a year later it started restarting randomly, freezing, and becoming really hot really quickly.

Years
  • I went ahead and got the receipt and box out should I really need to return it. It's got an uptime now of over 48 hours since I've uninstalled tumblr now, so I'll see how it goes from there.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Sounds frustrating. It's always hard to be without a phone that you know you want it to work and it doesn't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back