• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond/Pearl Monotype Challenge

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    Diamond/Pearl Monotype Challenge

I think it's about time we create a Monotype Challenge for the DS series of Pokemon games.

Rules
    Simple really, just like any other monotype challenge. You pick one of the 17 elemental types and use only that type in your team as your main Pokemon. This increases the difficulty of the games as you require more strategy and don't simply get a type advantage in all your battles.

I've edited the rules a bit from the usual challenges however. Your starter Pokemon will be usable provided they are of the correct type. This means that potentially you won't be able to use your starter Pokemon. As some will be quick to point out, there are only a couple of certain types of Pokemon within the Sinnoh dex (Fire etc.). What will be allowed will be the trading of Pokemon between games, provided you stick within the limitations. Based on how many badges you have, that's how many Pokemon you can trade from other games (National Dex as well).

2 Badges - 2 Pokemon
    4 Badges - 3 Pokemon
    6 Badges - 4 Pokemon
    8 Badges - 5 Pokemon

This means you can have at most five non-Sinnoh Pokemon, providing you have eight Gym Badges.

You will be allowed to use Pokemon that evolve into you type later on even if they currently aren't of the correct type (ie. Piplup in a Steel team) provided you evolve them as soon as possible (for instance as soon as you receive a Fire Stone you must evolve your Eevee in your Fire team).

You are limited to one Legendary per team, if you want one that is.

You are also allowed HM slaves, provided you don't use them in battles so they must be deposited before Gym and E4 battles.

New Rule
    From now on, you won't be allowed to teach Pokemon moves that you can't access already, i.e. TMs you find will be allowed, but not ones that you trade over etc.

Current Contestants
    Normal - Water PKMN Trainer
    Grass - Bucky
    Water - PKMN Gold Fanatic
    Fire - Charizardcharz
    Electric - Kozoi
    Rock - Rocky505
    Ground - Charky101
    Flying - Angelic Diablo
    Fighting - Chi-zukasi
    Bug - Ooka
    Ice - SoraNoHana
    Dragon - Kratosx
    Steel - Blazeavile
    Dark - Schala 25, Blakheart741

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Well, my honest opinion is this is stupid. If you aren't allowing the use of the starter unless it's the right type then, well, honestly, you need to just get this thread closed and let a more intelligent person post it.

(In other words, a starter is the only thing some people can have besides a whole team that can get countered by 1 type)

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Well, my honest opinion is this is stupid. If you aren't allowing the use of the starter unless it's the right type then, well, honestly, you need to just get this thread closed and let a more intelligent person post it.

(In other words, a starter is the only thing some people can have besides a whole team that can get countered by 1 type)

Keep in mind YouTube has a log of a guy who beat the entire game with a Starly.

If you've watched that, this becomes a piece of cake in comparison.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years

If you really want to then go ahead and use your starter, I just posted guidelines. You don't have to do what I proposed, nothing's stopping you from doing a challenge where you pick two types.

If you don't want to use one type, then don't, you don't need to come in all guns 'a' blazing and start flaming.

People have to remember that no one's forcing you into doing anything, after all, the Pokecommunity hasn't made doing this challenge compulsory have they, if you don't like it, don't do it, and don't flame.

Charcharizard, could you update after you beat each gym, I think I forgot to mention that in my first post.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    Okay ill be taking electric types then. ^_^

I've just started now and ill have to use a Turtwig until i can get hold of a Shinx which will be my first electric type.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Could I be the Fighting Type? And can we use trade an egg over to the game of the challenge?

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I'm not flaming, just stating my opinion.

Every member should be able to follow your guidelines, have a fair shot, and still have fun with it. If a user picks fire/grass/water, they have, what I think is, an advantage. If a user picks Rock, they wouldn't have the choice of using Piplup for example. It would just be a lot more fair if users could use the selected type and the starter is all I'm saying.

Eh, either way I'll pick Bug (And no, I won't be using my starter :P)

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    Okay ill be taking electric types then. ^_^

I've just started now and ill have to use a Turtwig until i can get hold of a Shinx which will be my first electric type.

Great, I'll add you to the list!

Could I be the Fighting Type? And can we use trade an egg over to the game of the challenge?

Yep, as long as you follow what I said and make sure that you have no more than two traded Pokemon until you've beaten the second gym, three upon beating the fourth gym etc. I'll add you too.

I'm not flaming, just stating my opinion.

Every member should be able to follow your guidelines, have a fair shot, and still have fun with it. If a user picks fire/grass/water, they have, what I think is, an advantage. If a user picks Rock, they wouldn't have the choice of using Piplup for example. It would just be a lot more fair if users could use the selected type and the starter is all I'm saying.

Eh, either way I'll pick Bug (And no, I won't be using my starter :P)

Fair enough to voice you're say, it wasn't that I was accusing of being flaming. It was more the "...someone more intelligent"etc. 'Tis water under the bridge however. I'll add you to the competitior list, and as far as I'm confused, Chimchar is a bug :P Stupid flaming monkey, stealing wittle Blaziken's typing!

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    Heres how i've gone on so far;

-Captured a Shinx.
    -Shinx evolved in Orgburgh Path.
    -Got first badge.
    -Kicked Team Galactics Butt and arrived in Eternea City.

Okay, question. My friend can give me a level 5 Elekid that i could trade to become Electrivire but is this okay with you guys?

Also can i use duel-types such as Magnemite?

Thanks in advance.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    Heres how i've gone on so far;

-Captured a Shinx.
    -Shinx evolved in Orgburgh Path.
    -Got first badge.
    -Kicked Team Galactics Butt and arrived in Eternea City.

Okay, question. My friend can give me a level 5 Elekid that i could trade to become Electrivire but is this okay with you guys?

Also can i use duel-types such as Magnemite?

Thanks in advance.

Have a look at my previous post, I answered a similar question there. And yes, you can use dual types.

I think I shall take Water

Great, you've been added.

UPDATE: Mystery5556668 has joined and will be using the Dragon Type.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    All in all I

- Got Starter (Chimchar)
    - Got Pokedex
    - Got Poketech
    - Chimchar Evolved into Monferno
    - Beat Oreburgh Gym
    - Beat Team Galactic
    - Arrived in Eterna City
    - Got Second Badge
    - Turned off the power after saving

Yup that's what I did.

Till Next time Sign Out~

mystery5556668

new account- Tyl3rP4r
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2013
    updates
    traded bagon and gible egg to diamond and both hatched
    bagon is green

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
    I'll Take Normal (Bidoof FTW!)

Great, another Bidoof fanatic :P

Could I do Dark? We can trade two over before the first gym, correct?

Sure thing, I'll add you to the list.

Can I catch other Pokemon but put them in the Box (so I can fill the Pokedex)

Yes indeed.

updates
    traded bagon and gible egg to diamond and both hatched
    bagon is green

So, it was shiny?

On a special note, everyone must donate a Pokemon of my choosing to me :P

But seriously, some people have all the luck :(

Back