• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    I understand that natures/IVs are set when you receive the egg from the old man when breeding. However, I remember seeing somewhere that shininess is determined when it hatches.

Is it possible to SR for shininess on a Pokémon if you saved after you receive the egg, but before you hatch it?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I understand that natures/IVs are set when you receive the egg from the old man when breeding. However, I remember seeing somewhere that shininess is determined when it hatches.

Is it possible to SR for shininess on a Pokémon if you saved after you receive the egg, but before you hatch it?

Actually, nature, trait, and shininess are set once the old man has the egg to give to you, and IVs are set when you pick it up. So, no.

POKEARC3NCIEL

Im bored lol.
    Years
    I hate to ask but none of my friends know and my little brother wants a Spanish version (we are not native English speakers). I play the English version to practice, but my brothers don't know a word of English so they want a Spanish version (I think only the European version has Spanish). So I was wondering if we could use the DS wireless connection if we had different versions of the game.
    Thank you Ladies (and gentlemen.)

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
    After cheking bulbapedia I was wondering, Why isnt Slaking classified as a psuedo legendary?. its total base stat is 670, which is 70 more then dragonite, who is it self a pseudo legendary

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    After cheking bulbapedia I was wondering, Why isnt Slaking classified as a psuedo legendary?. its total base stat is 670, which is 70 more then dragonite, who is it self a pseudo legendary

A) Do you mean psueda-uber?
    B) Dragonite is nowhere close to being an uber. Bulbapedia is a terrible source for competetive information.
    C)A pokemons status is never chosen strictly by stats alone. There are many governing factors when deciding a pokes place in the metagame. Ubers will generally have the following:
    *Great Stats
    *Movepool to complement the stats well
    *Good typing
    *Beneficial Ability
    *Lack of counters in the lower tier

The last one's the biggy. If a poke is too powerful to effectively counter in OU, it gets made uber. If it's too powerful for UU, it gets made OU. Slaking cannot even function well in UU, primarily down to its god-aweful ability. Sure he hits hard, but he gives free turns away for opponents to stat up and proceed to rape the entire team. I'd rather have a less powerful poke that can hit twice in a row than slaking who has to switch out every 2nd turn to be effective.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009

I believe the term "pseudo-legendary" is reserved for those Pokemon that are considered "legendary" in the Pokemon world but not necessarily at the same level as the actual Legendaries, like Arcanine in the early anime episodes. Dragonite is a "rare" and powerful dragon. Slaking is a much more common sloth. The reasoning should actually be clear here.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Pseudo-legendary Pokemon are the Pokemon at the end of the regional dex near the real legendary Pokemon. For instance, Metagross and Salamence are strong Pokemon near the end of the regional dex of Generation III so they are considered Pseudo Legendaries.

Common characteristics that Pseudo Legendaries share with eachother are:
    1. Base stat total of 600
    2. Three stage evolution line.
    3. Outstanding Attack stat.
    4. Very diverse movepool.
    5. Dual typed.
    6. Are said to be more powerful than any other non-legendary Pokemon.
    7. Require a lot of experience to level up.

You can look up more information about Pseudo-legendaries here.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    B) Dragonite is nowhere close to being an uber. Bulbapedia is a terrible source for competetive information.
    C)A pokemons status is never chosen strictly by stats alone. There are many governing factors when deciding a pokes place in the metagame. Ubers will generally have the following:
    *Great Stats
    *Good typing
    *Beneficial Ability

The last one's the biggy. If a poke is too powerful to effectively counter in OU, it gets made uber. If it's too powerful for UU, it gets made OU. Slaking cannot even function well in UU, primarily down to its god-aweful ability. Sure he hits hard, but he gives free turns away for opponents to stat up and proceed to rape the entire team. I'd rather have a less powerful poke that can hit twice in a row than slaking who has to switch out every 2nd turn to be effective.

To answer ur question it really only fits about two of the criteria of Pseudo Legendary.

Jamzy

Mystery Dungeoner
    Years
    Hey guys i was just wonderin if anyone has any idea what kind of pokemon someone would want for a turtwig, chimchar and a munchlax over the GTS? I would bree my emploleon but i'm trying to get every pokemon oin my pokedex before i get the national dex.

Also is there a limit to how many manaphys you can get from pokemon ranger? I got it earlier today and it said nothing about manaphy on it (it's the first one, NOT the shadows of almia or whatever the 2nd one is called)

Last edited:
    Years
    Hey guys i was just wonderin if anyone has any idea what kind of pokemon someone would want for a turtwig, chimchar and a munchlax over the GTS? I would bree my emploleon but i'm trying to get every pokemon oin my pokedex before i get the national dex.
    Well, not that much, although you can get some decently rare Pokémon such as Combee or Riolu.
    Also is there a limit to how many manaphys you can get from pokemon ranger? I got it earlier today and it said nothing about manaphy on it (it's the first one, NOT the shadows of almia or whatever the 2nd one is called)
    Only one

Inserted answers in bold.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    Adding on...
    Slaking is not considered strong because of it's very ability of Truant. Yes, it does have some significantly powerful stats in its arena, but it's ability cuts down it's potential tremendously. It's bait for protect stalling and status afflictions, and easily set up against. It's not even in the Overused Tier for these very reasons. It's not used much, and it isn't very effective in battles; just set-up bait.

A Pokemon's status, strength, overall potential, and tier is judged upon how all of its abilities work together to form a whole. If they function together properly, the Pokemon will be a dominant force in the metagame. If they have unusually high Attack stat, but poor defenses and speed, the Pokemon's abilities and stats don't work together well because poor defenses absolutely cannot function with poor speed. In Slakings case, the Truant ability does not function with anything in it's movepool well, which is why it isn't a threat and was bumped down a tier from OU.
    *Great Stats
    *Good typing
    *Beneficial Ability

Pseudo-legendaries aren't Pseudo-ubers. Pseudo-legendaries are Pokemon that aren't legendary, but are stronger than most non-legendary Pokemon. They're usually located near the end of the Regional PokeDex, and all that other jazz I summed up in my previous post.

First of all, Kratosx didn't even say that Dragonite was near uber, nor did Bulbapedia. As I said before, Pseudo-legendaries are NOT Pseudo-ubers.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    How do I go about catching a Burmy in Diamond ?

you need to put honey on a tree. come back in a few hours and if the tree shakes talk to it. you'll enter a battle and you might battle a burmy. I'm not sure of the percentage, but I can tell you it's not the most frequent from honey trees.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Pseudo-legendaries aren't Pseudo-ubers. Pseudo-legendaries are Pokemon that aren't legendary, but are stronger than most non-legendary Pokemon. They're usually located near the end of the Regional PokeDex, and all that other jazz I summed up in my previous post.

First of all, Kratosx didn't even say that Dragonite was near uber, nor did Bulbapedia. As I said before, Pseudo-legendaries are NOT Pseudo-ubers.

I had never heard of a psuedo-uber or persuedo-legendary or persuedo-anything for that matter before they were mentioned in this thread. But I thought I saw the common arguament that "Base 600 stat total=Uber" and with the common confusion between uber and legendary and based an answer on that.

Years
    I had never heard of a psuedo-uber or persuedo-legendary or persuedo-anything for that matter before they were mentioned in this thread. But I thought I saw the common arguament that "Base 600 stat total=Uber" and with the common confusion between uber and legendary and based an answer on that.
    Just because of those base stats doesn't mean that is what happens... I think...

But pseudo-legends are the 5 powerhouses.
    Garchomp.
    Tyrannitar.
    Dragonite.
    Metagross.
    Salamence.

Highest stat is a humungo attack.

Years
    UGH I HATE MIST

Where can I find the HM that removes mist or whatever? I suffered to get through that mist laden Route, and I still can't find the HM that removes mist. WHERE IS IT?

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2011
    If I hatch a pokemon in my diamond game and then trade it over to my Platinum game when it comes out, will it look like the pokemon was caught by me if MY names are the same in both games?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    When an egg hatches it obtains the OT of the one it was with when it hatches. kind of like when a baby in a movie hatches and looks at the first one it sees and says Mama!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back