• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Diamond / Pearl Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
Years
  • Natures can only increase one stat and decrease another. But here are the one's you requested.

Natures that increase Defense are:
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
    Impish (+Def, -SAtk)

Natures that increase Special Defense are:
    Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
    Sassy (+SDef, -Speed)
    Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • Natures can only increase one stat and decrease another. But here are the one's you requested.

Natures that increase Defense are:
    Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    Relaxed (+Def, -Speed)
    Impish (+Def, -SAtk)

Natures that increase Special Defense are:
    Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
    Sassy (+SDef, -Speed)
    Careful (+SDef, -SAtk)

Any idea on what gives speed?

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    Layman's guide to EVs:

Each pokemon comes with an effort value attatched to them, that's the EV. This value is a number between 1 and 3 that corresponds to a stat. For example, a golbat has 3 Speed EV attatched to them

When you defeat that pokemon with your own (We'll use golbat as the example), your pokemon gains effort points equivilant to the beaten poke's EV. So beating a golbat will give you 2 Speed EVs. These points are cummulitive and do not disappear unless they are deliberatly removed with a special berry.

When you gain 4 EVs in a single stat, you get a +1 boost to that stat. Simple.

You can put 255 EVs into a single stat, but only 252 of these are useful, since EVs only apply when divisible by 4 and any leftovers are ignored. A pokemon may only be given 510 EVs in total across all of their stats.

Ok, I've been EV training an Umbreon for Defense and Attack. I've been killing a ton of Geodudes and Machops, but for some reason, even after I've killed about a hundred or so I'd say, I still only get about a +3 increase in defense. I just got a +4 a little while ago, but I leveled up this Palkia I was using to train Umbreon with and he got +21 to his Defense! So do you start over after each level up, or do you keep all the EV's you have from battling. Basically, if I kill enough Geodudes for 252 Defense EV's, do I keep that no matter what I battle? Or do I have to kill a ton of Geodudes all the time...?

True Justice

Years
  • Ok, I've been EV training an Umbreon for Defense and Attack. I've been killing a ton of Geodudes and Machops, but for some reason, even after I've killed about a hundred or so I'd say, I still only get about a +3 increase in defense. I just got a +4 a little while ago, but I leveled up this Palkia I was using to train Umbreon with and he got +21 to his Defense! So do you start over after each level up, or do you keep all the EV's you have from battling. Basically, if I kill enough Geodudes for 252 Defense EV's, do I keep that no matter what I battle? Or do I have to kill a ton of Geodudes all the time...?

You keep them no matter what. And once all 510 EVs are filled up, you're done EV training.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2019
    You keep them no matter what. And once all 510 EVs are filled up, you're done EV training.

So once they're full, every level my pokemon gains will get the benefits, no matter what?

And also, if I'd want to get rid of EV's, how would I do that?

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • Does anyone know what area the lowest level and most common Bronzors are at?

Yes the title says it all. Except for Mt. Turnback cause it just has Bronzongs and Bronzors like lvl. 65

Last edited:

DeathOfBlades

AYE SIR!
    Years
  • Any idea what Pokemon gives a lot of speed for EV's? And what area that pokemon is located. Alright so I know you have a total of 510 Evs. Does that mean 510 EV points. So like you get an extrea 510 points in your stats of your choice? And how many of the typical pokemon will you have to kill if you want it to have max 510 EVs?

HeavensNightSH

Got Diamond Nov. 20
    Years
  • Sounds like a lot of EV questions, me as well. Is there a more indepth "Intro To EV" thread or links to some site that would greatly help someone who has no clue at all how to do it?

ThatGameGuy

Gold & Silver Master
    Years
  • D/P Fossils?

What fossils can be found in D/P?
    I know you can find multi of each fossil,but can you get more than one Old Amber in the underground?
    TGG

Years
  • Armor Fossil, Root Fossil, and the fossil that get cranidos I forgot what it was called Also the one that gets you Armaldo.
    that plus helix which gets you omanstar and one which get you kabutops

Years
  • Well, by digging underground! Once your in the underground, you can find fossils just as you find shards for example. If you have pearl, befre you get the national dex you can find Sheldon, and Diamond Cranidos. But once you obtain the national dex, you can get any of the fossils!

True Justice

Years
  • So once they're full, every level my pokemon gains will get the benefits, no matter what?

And also, if I'd want to get rid of EV's, how would I do that?

Yes. Every time your Pokemon levels up, you will probably see higher stats than usual, even if you only used a Rare Candy. The reason I say probably is because some people complain that they have EV trained their Pokemon but haven't seen any significant differences in a stat when a Pokemon levels up. So it will happen some of the time but not all of the time. If you want to reduce EVs, you have to use EV Reducing Berries. The Berries are:

Pomeg: Lowers HP
    Kelpsy: Lowers Attack
    Qualot: Lowers Defense
    Hondew: Lowers Special Attack
    Grepa: Lowers Special Defense
    Tomato: Lowers Speed

How they work are if you have a Pokemon with for example 252 EVs in Speed, a Tomato berry instantly drops it to 100 EVs. From that point on, it will drop in increments of 10 EVs. So it wil take 10 more Tomato berries to completely wipe out the Speed EVs.

Any idea what Pokemon gives a lot of speed for EV's? And what area that pokemon is located. Alright so I know you have a total of 510 Evs. Does that mean 510 EV points. So like you get an extrea 510 points in your stats of your choice? And how many of the typical pokemon will you have to kill if you want it to have max 510 EVs?

Probably the most common Pokemon that gives 2 Speed EVs is Pikachu. But if you want to gain Speed EVs quickly, then I would suggest getting the Power Anklet, found at Battle Tower for 16 BP. Whenever a Pokemon is beaten, Power Items will increase a specific stat by 4 EVs. So the Power Anklet increases Speed EVs by 4 each time you beat a Pokemon. But here is Serebii's list of Pokemon that increase Speed EVs and by how much.

Sounds like a lot of EV questions, me as well. Is there a more indepth "Intro To EV" thread or links to some site that would greatly help someone who has no clue at all how to do it?

Serebii's EV Guide does a really good job addressing those who are new to EV training and making it really simple to understand.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Yes the title says it all. Except for Mt. Turnback cause it just has Bronzongs and Bronzors like lvl. 65
    Instead of what the others say about Route 206, I'll suggest Wayward Cave. Bronzor appear in Wayward Cave 1F at levels 14-16; Bronzor appear in Wayward Cave B1F at levels 15-17. The reason that I don't recommend Route 206 is because they are pretty rare at a 10% rarity. In Wayward Cave, they are all 40% rarity and low leveled, so they are pretty common there and pretty weak. :>
    Any idea what Pokemon gives a lot of speed for EV's? And what area that pokemon is located. Alright so I know you have a total of 510 Evs. Does that mean 510 EV points. So like you get an extrea 510 points in your stats of your choice? And how many of the typical pokemon will you have to kill if you want it to have max 510 EVs?
    I'd highly suggest battling Golbat in Victory Road's B1 Floor. When surfing, Golbat will be the only Pokemon found, so it will be quite convenient. Golbat gives a total of 2 speed EVs, which is a pretty good deal. Other locations can be Route 226 with Fearow and Raticate (2 Speed EVs), and just plain old Starly near Twinleaf Town (1 Speed EV). You can visit this post for more information about good places to EV train.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Alright so I know you have a total of 510 Evs. Does that mean 510 EV points. So like you get an extrea 510 points in your stats of your choice? And how many of the typical pokemon will you have to kill if you want it to have max 510 EVs?

In a way, but keep in mind that the absolute maximum for any given stat is actually 255, and three of those are actually wasted because of the way EVs work so 252 is really the practical maximum. With Pokerus and the proper items/vitamins, you can theoretically get a stat up to the desired 252 EVs with only 13 battles, so think somewhere around 27 battles minimum unless you're fighting a Pokemon that gives EVs for more than one stat. ...But this is all mentioned in the links that you've been provided here.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2016
    question: lets say you defeated a gengar and got 3 sp atk evs, but you had a pokemon with an exp share. would that pokemon get one and half evs?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back