• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did anyone else feel alienated playing on a PC or an Arcade for the first time?

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
  • Because I did. Now you see, I love SimCity. Luckily, my local library had the PC version of SimCity 4: Deluxe Edition. I booted it up and prayed my computer could take it. It could. So, the first time I played SimCity was the SNES port of 2000, so I was playing with a D-Pad. But playing with a mouse is so much easier, but I had never done it before. I just took some getting used to. I mean, I had to constantly look at the hotkeys so I wouldn't have to, but the mouse is easier, yet it feels strange.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, my parents took me to Ontario Place. It only had 2 places worth going, the water park and the Arcade. So I got some money and went to see if they had any Street Fighter games. Luckily, they had Second Impact. Now, I'm not so huge on SFIII to begin, but I took whatever I could get. The first time I played Third Strike was on Street Fighter Anniversary on the PS2, and it was fun. Mow looking at this, it played far better, but it still alienated me. But it was so much easier to throw a dragon punch or do a special move. But it felt odd. So it still worked better, but something seemed strange.

So, have you ever felt alienated playing on an Arcade or a PC the first time?

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I only ever play dancing games when I go the arcade, and I don't remember ever feeling alienated or anything like that. I actually used to play those games at the arcade before I even had a games console, so for me it felt really weird when I first played DDR at home. I still don't think it feels very natural to play dance mat games at home...

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • alienated (comparative more alienated, superlative most alienated)
    1. Isolated; excluded.

The word you are looking for is "awkward." You're not used to the controls, so you feel awkward playing on a PC or arcade. Alienated would be if you were 12 and went into an FPS server using a mic. You would feel isolated or excluded because of your annoying voice (it wouldn't be your fault, it's just biology; however, it would still be annoying).

Edit: looks like you actually are 12. So I guess you wouldn't have to do much imagining; just join an FPS server and use your mic, and let the fun begin.

That aside, I am not a fan of playing at arcades. Give me a mouse and a keyboard over a controller or joystick any day. As for PC, it would be unusual for a PC gamer to feel awkward playing a PC.

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
  • You guys are going to all the wrong arcades. O.O
    Seriously though, I went to Great America* recently, and the arcade was full of freaking AMAZING arcade games. Silent Scope was my favorite, and I remember liking this one game that used a real-time dodging mechanic. I'd suggest pretty much any arcade game made by Konami, because almost every arcade shooter game that they make is SCHWEEEET.

As for PC gaming, I don't see how accurate mouse controls and user-made content can make one's experience indifferent.

*Great America is an amusement park chain in the USA. ( For you peeps across the pond. 8D )

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Actually, my first video gaming experiences were on PCs and Arcade games, so I feel somewhat awkward on consoles. It's something about the analog thumb-stick, I could never get the hang of it. I'm much better with either a keyboard or a joystick.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I've felt rather grateful to have been able to play some games on the PC. Team Fortress 2 is just NOT a console game for me. Same for Portal. :/ I just enjoy those more on the PC and I've got a copy on the Xbox 360 also. XD;

DestinyBender

Mana du vortes, aeria gloris.
    Years
  • Hah hah, this thread is funny.

I feel alienated when I play Singstar in front of my 'friends'.

I can sense them saying in their minds 'Look at that retard. What a weirdo with that high pitched, annoying voice'.

Lawl.

~DB

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Tons. I play beatmania IIDX, probably one of the few in the UK. Anyway, it's really hard to play properly if people are watching. I also feel alienated when playing DDR in arcades, as it's kinda girly an all.

Back