• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did Anyone Else Just Not Like This Game At All?

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
Years
  • I have my theory- Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby were planned before they even began developing X and Y, but such an important remake meant they should run a test before making it. XY was the test, an experiment to see if this new 3d stuff and pokemon models would work out. The story was so vague, and there were so few pokemon added, it made sense it was just a test disguised as a new game.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • There were so many things I hated about X/Y
    Exp Share =/= Exp All, but they made them essentially the same thing
    The E4 were pathetically easy
    Why don't we have Easy and Challenge modes? Especially from the beginning?
    The story was so meh
    Team Flare was ok, but were ultimately forgettabled imo

These games are notable for being 3D. However, they're gonna be forgettable once other main series Pokemon games are released in 3D.
    I just fail to see any reason for X/Y to stand on their own
    Mega evos were ok I guess
    I just don't find anything uniquely impressive
    These had the least replay value in the whole franchise, on my end anyway

Years
  • Sorry to get off-topic from this thread but I feel this was necessary to be said.

If you're talking about the main adventure, I will admit it's not the longest Pokémon game on its own, but you don't know what these Pokémon are actually based off of, do you? Garbodor is meant to be a reference to the waste and trash that plague today's garbage cans (something of that degree). And the graphics I found to be a step up from DPPt, and there were the animated sprites that were even more lively for the battles.

Not as much of a hassle as training off of such low level Pokémon in Johto and Hoenn, and the Lucky Egg certainly made it even better.

Bring it on.

For that matter, the 3D in XY serves no purpose whatsoever. As Mark (dude who made this thread) said on the first page, it felt pointless to include it when it wasn't even optimized on the 3DS itself.

Not really, the breeding mechanics were made a lot better and there's the Battle Maison which is indeed a big upgrade from the Battle Subway, but other than that it's not all that much better. At least BW had something that continues the story.

I've been playing since Gen I, so I know what i'm talking about when I say these things. Gen V is my favorite generation too, so I can definitely critique properly.

Way to get literal with it, its still doesnt look good they could have done a way better job on what alot of them looked like, gen 4 had better looking pokemon then that. The animated sprites were laggier then DPPt animated sprites, at least in XY they actually had more contact and looked more like the anime, as long as you kept the 3D off there was little to no lag. Although i do agree BW2 was a baby step up from BW it still sucked.

Post game XY: Battle Maison, Lumiose Reatraunts(there are 5 of them), Battle institute, Looker agency(the story line after the real story), Bird Trio hunt(takes quite some time to find these guys), mega stone collecting, Rated wifi battles(pre game and post game). So yeah much more then Gen 5.

About the 3D idk if you understood but i basically said it was laggy and no good thanks for agreeing.

To be honest i have no reason to agrue. They are opinions and thats what they stay as. You may have liked BW but i absolutly hated it. To me BW was no good, to you XY was no good and thats up to you. Me saying "i could go on and on about it" was not an ivintation to argue sorry you took it that way.

Years
  • Yeah, people are entitled to opinions so I don't think I want to take this much farther.

However, I would like to kindly point out that in no way did I seriously badtalk XY in that post as far as I can tell. The worst I really said about it was the 3D being pointless (which you agreed with if i'm not mistaken) and the post-game not being too much better than BW's and especially not B2W2's. I am going to take the time to say that XY are my second favorite games in the series only behind Black 2 and White 2 (which I mention on the first page of this thread), so don't think I was dissing them, which seems to be what you were getting out of what I said.

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
    Years
  • Overall, I like the games and the updates they did to the graphics. I like the Amie feature a lot, because it's super cute to be able to feed my Pokemon the little puffs. I also loved being able to make my trainer look different, A LOT. Many of the new Pokemon were great, and I enjoy using them in battle alongside my old favorites. I really love the changes they made to the breeding system, so it was something that was still challenging to get what you want (whether you're doing it for shinies or IVs), but it wasn't just a total time sink. I like the megaevolutions myself as well. I'm glad they did something to try to shake up the same old Pokemon battles, and I think it works well. I really enjoy the new fairy type also!

However, Team Flare is my least favorite set of Pokemon bad guys ever... They were just plain weird and they were honestly a joke to me. I know that these games have never had some sort of crazy complicated intense story, but I felt like gen 5 struck a good balance. It was interesting enough to where it wasn't a waste of time, but it wasn't so complicated that little kids wouldn't want to play (since they still cater towards this younger audience). The story in this game just felt like a waste of time. When it came time for me to actually "save the world" I was so disinterested I just went through all of it as fast as I possibly could... I haven't really felt this way with a Pokemon game before. This made this already short story even shorter, and was not satisfying to me.

Since completing the story, I have had a lot of fun with breeding and trading/battling online. I feel like these features are way more exciting than ever before! The Looker missions were okay and the Maison had its moments, but I have been content with just these things, especially since the 3rd gen remakes are just around the corner :p

The sucky plot/evil team: This is a bit sad. I don't understand why Game Freak doesn't try to make a good story in the Pokemon games. They made an attempt in Gen 5, but ultimately failed. They need to understand that a large part of Pokemon's audience is creepy old people, like myself not kids anymore. We would appreciate a good story. And they could've made a good one with X and Y's/Lysandre's basic premise.

They definitely need to wake up and realize this. I don't know about Japan, but when I went to my local Gamestop the morning that X and Y came out to pickup my preorder, there were no children. It was all people my age (22) or older standing waiting in line to get this Pokemon game. I'm told by my younger relatives that Pokemon isn't even popular anymore among those in elementary school right now. I know that this doesn't mean it's like that everywhere, but you'd think they would quit making the games 100% for kids now.

And to those who say this game isn't meant to have a good story, you'd be very wrong. G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P/Pt, B/W, and B2/W2 all had great story lines that put X/Y to shame. With the exception of G/S/C and R/S/E, it actually felt like the bad guys were pretty damn evil (Team Galactic blew up a lake, opened a portal to another dimension, captured the lake guardians and tortured them; Team Plasma took over buildings, stole your best friends 'Mons, etc.). Team Flare did pretty much nothing except hang around in coffee shops and caves.

Heck, they all had their tough moments as well, but X/Y was just...babyish (even with the EXP. Share off, mind you).

I definitely agree with all of this, but the part in bold made me laugh haha

But I believe it was meant to be that way so the genwunners are invited to play a game that is as simple as the first games, which I hate honestly.

I agree with this. It was so obvious by the fact that this game included so many older Pokemon and gave you the generation 1 starters. However, I feel like that would have been enough to attract the genwunners. I don't think the game needed to be as easy as it was.

The GTS hasn't improved any better. Super frustrating. Especially when you're looking for something simple and everyone wants legendaries for it. Hope it's improved in ORAS.

I am pretty disappointed by the GTS... I had never done online trades in the previous generations, so I can't say if it's better or the same as that, but it certainly isn't precise enough to be useful. If you're looking for a Pokemon with a certain nature, you're out of luck. And people really do want legendaries for everything. "Give me your Dialga for this Caterpie".... NO.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2016
    I agree it was easier then others and the story doesn't fall apart a bit. Although geosenge was a huge step in showing a type of destruction and will of an enemy as compared to other games. But at the same time most people I've met here are adults. One could argue we have no business still playing these games anyway. We do though because we love them. For most of us it was a defining childhood moment. If they make too many adjustments to what you've stated then guess what. It alienates their target audience. Their real money makers. Kids. I've had a blast in battle Maison and cafe battles. Training breeding etc. as well as local tournaments.

You get from post game what you want from it. You can't expect any game to stay interesting after you "beat it" unless you do something to shake it up yourself in my opinion. Which is why local gatherings to play and trade are great. But this game was a huge step forward in my mind. It changed things up enough for me to stay interested even as a 30 year old father. Me and my daughter play together trade together etc. making it too hard or bad guys too menacing is not something I want for my child. She has enough issues with certain parts of the game as it is. So I say we accept pokemon for what it is. Part of our childhood that shouldn't grow up with us. Because it has a bit. But if it it goes too far our children will miss out on the magic we first experienced.

Back