• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did Anyone Else Just Not Like This Game At All?

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
  • Since I found no thread like this in a month-span, I'll just put this here.

Did anyone else just really not like these games at all? I mean, as a whole, not in terms of anything specific, but for the sum of it's parts. I liked the character customization and the new look. That's it. Overall, though, I really just didn't like this addition to the series.

It's far too easy, there's been very little of any kind of events, it's lacking in post-game content, none of the characters stick at all, the plot is cheesy and boring, the new Pokémon aren't at all exciting or interesting, the bad guys aren't menacing, and the champion was seen (correct me if I'm wrong) twice the entire game, was not part of the story in any way, and is the easiest to beat of all champions (in my opinion). It's lacking in all the right places, and Mega Evolution makes playing online competitively a nightmare for me. I beat the game in one sitting, explored the rest in another, and I haven't touched it since the week of release.

I know that this was supposed to welcome new members of the franchise in, but come on! This game isn't even in the same plane of existence as the others. Does anyone else feel this way? If not, why?

Years
  • You finished the game in one sitting? I think these games are enjoyable because they are casual. Why on earth would you try and finish it as quickly as possible?

Years
  • To say the least, I did love these games. They're my second favorites in the series, only behind Black 2 and White 2. Why do I disagree with your points? Let's go over them.

Too easy - If I may ask, did you just Exp. Share the whole game or did you have it off at times? Because i've played through it several times without ever using it (mostly for Monotypes and my Mono-Color) and it does make things considerably more enjoyable. Not only are you more likely to end up lower leveled than the general bulk of opponents, but with the gigantic amount of Pokémon in the Kalos Dex, it can be very tough to predict what most opponents can have if you haven't played the game too many times. Sometimes i'd have teams around Level 50-52 upon reaching the last Gym Leader.

Too few events - Well this generation is still fairly new and not even a year old yet. Even Gen IV I don't think had any major events that I recall off the top of my head from the beginning, and they've been promoting VCG like crazy.

Lacking in post-game content - While not BW2 or HGSS in terms of post-game, I felt that how easy breeding is was enough to keep me occupied for a while, as well as the few legendaries you can hunt. I also enjoyed the Battle Maison for what it was, although some people may not.

Unstickable characters - This I will agree on, most of your rivals were just filler, like Tierno and Trevor, and didn't really feel like anything memorable. As for Serena/Calem, I do like that they want to be good at battling, and I did feel sorry for them after beating them based on how hard they strive for it. Other than that (and Lysandre and Sycamore), however, that's it.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys - I have to disagree with this, because we're talking a mass genocide plot here. One that would either immortalize or kill many creatures and people. We're talking about reliving a story from 3,000 years with the ultimate weapon. I wouldn't say that's not menacing, and they came dangerously close to succeeding. Admittedly though, it felt over all too soon.

Lackluster new Pokémon - I can understand this, and while there were a few Pokémon I didn't really care for, there were some I quite liked, like Heliolisk, Pangoro, Tyrantrum and the starters. But that's just me.

A crappy Champion - Well you got me on this one, in all my plays of the game only one has she ever REALLY been tough (my Red Mono-Color, but my team was Level 59/60 and a TON of luck was involved). And she does virtually nothing in the story so yeah.

I guess all things considered this game was meant to be the series' jump into serious 3D, and while some people don't like it...I did. Admittedly, I wasn't that excited to play it at first, until I found out about its enormous variety for the main game, which is definitely one of favorite things about it.

My two cents.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I can't really say that I care too much for the game itself for many of the reasons you listed. I do however love the 3-D and the way the game makes the pokemon look alive. I just pretty much make up my own adventure and enjoy the game that way. I just recently made a Pideot, and I have a blast training it and throwing it into battle online. The story and characters in the game are crap. But I enjoy the other things the game offers me.

Years
  • I do feel like the game was lacking in alot of ways, rivals were annoying, easy to beat. Nintendo needs to aim at a older crowd, make it with difficulty setting with smarter AI, more badges, towns, leagues, normal looking pokemon and GOOD story. I thought This game was just a stepping stone for future ones, maybe after Ruby/Saphhire since they are only remakes...

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2014
    This game was way too freakin easy. I was really disappointed with it that I didn't even finish it. I know I should have worked through the whole thing, but I don't know ... it was too easy. And the EXP share, ugh. I could have turned it off, yeah, but I don't like imposing my own limits when I know the option is there. Also, the no 3d thing and the 3d with horrible framerate was a huge disappointment. I personally love 3d, and you think they'd learn how to do it right. There are tons of graphically intensive games that still made it work. Smash Bros is 60 fps and 3d!

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    To say the least, I did love these games. They're my second favorites in the series, only behind Black 2 and White 2. Why do I disagree with your points? Let's go over them.

Too easy - If I may ask, did you just Exp. Share the whole game or did you have it off at times? Because i've played through it several times without ever using it (mostly for Monotypes and my Mono-Color) and it does make things considerably more enjoyable. Not only are you more likely to end up lower leveled than the general bulk of opponents, but with the gigantic amount of Pokémon in the Kalos Dex, it can be very tough to predict what most opponents can have if you haven't played the game too many times. Sometimes i'd have teams around Level 50-52 upon reaching the last Gym Leader.

Too few events - Well this generation is still fairly new and not even a year old yet. Even Gen IV I don't think had any major events that I recall off the top of my head from the beginning, and they've been promoting VCG like crazy.

Lacking in post-game content - While not BW2 or HGSS in terms of post-game, I felt that how easy breeding is was enough to keep me occupied for a while, as well as the few legendaries you can hunt. I also enjoyed the Battle Maison for what it was, although some people may not.

Unstickable characters - This I will agree on, most of your rivals were just filler, like Tierno and Trevor, and didn't really feel like anything memorable. As for Serena/Calem, I do like that they want to be good at battling, and I did feel sorry for them after beating them based on how hard they strive for it. Other than that (and Lysandre and Sycamore), however, that's it.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys - I have to disagree with this, because we're talking a mass genocide plot here. One that would either immortalize or kill many creatures and people. We're talking about reliving a story from 3,000 years with the ultimate weapon. I wouldn't say that's not menacing, and they came dangerously close to succeeding. Admittedly though, it felt over all too soon.

Lackluster new Pokémon - I can understand this, and while there were a few Pokémon I didn't really care for, there were some I quite liked, like Heliolisk, Pangoro, Tyrantrum and the starters. But that's just me.

A crappy Champion - Well you got me on this one, in all my plays of the game only one has she ever REALLY been tough (my Red Mono-Color, but my team was Level 59/60 and a TON of luck was involved). And she does virtually nothing in the story so yeah.

I guess all things considered this game was meant to be the series' jump into serious 3D, and while some people don't like it...I did. Admittedly, I wasn't that excited to play it at first, until I found out about its enormous variety for the main game, which is definitely one of favorite things about it.

My two cents.
    Time to throw my two cents in as well.

Too easy - I've talked about this elsewhere on the forum, but the game is way too easy. And I don't mean the battles. Part of the fun I have in Pokemon games is the puzzle aspect. While the puzzles are never going to be over-the-top in difficulty they still managed to get me to stop and think for a little while most of the time. In this game the puzzles were almost non-existent. The Gyms were almost completely devoid of them, saving Olympia and Wulfric's gyms (And even then, Wulfric's was too blatant.) I almost question whether they considered that the player could move diagonally for the ice puzzles.

Too few events - I think that Mark may be referring to in-game events that you can take advantage of throughout the week. Like how you could find Lapras in G/S/C HG/SS on a couple days of the week or the Weekday Siblings. Stuff that makes playing the game feel more lively and different. Just to put the thought out there.

Lacking in post-game content - I would argue that most first installments have this problem. I would tend to side with Mark on this but also note that it's to be expected. There is a fairly nice storyline to participate in and the Friend Safari and Battle Maison are pretty nice features.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys -I'm in 100% agreement that the plotline is horrible. Team Flare's end-goal may be horrifying. But the team itself is not menacing. Not even Lysandre. I honestly don't think they had a good cohesive writing team for this game because Team Flare seems terribly inconsistent from scenario to scenario. Even Lysandre's not very consistent or capable as a leader, as indicated by Xerosic's blatant disobedience.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Since I found no thread like this in a month-span, I'll just put this here.

Did anyone else just really not like these games at all? I mean, as a whole, not in terms of anything specific, but for the sum of it's parts. I liked the character customization and the new look. That's it. Overall, though, I really just didn't like this addition to the series.

It's far too easy, there's been very little of any kind of events, it's lacking in post-game content, none of the characters stick at all, the plot is cheesy and boring, the new Pokémon aren't at all exciting or interesting, the bad guys aren't menacing, and the champion was seen (correct me if I'm wrong) twice the entire game, was not part of the story in any way, and is the easiest to beat of all champions (in my opinion). It's lacking in all the right places, and Mega Evolution makes playing online competitively a nightmare for me. I beat the game in one sitting, explored the rest in another, and I haven't touched it since the week of release.

I know that this was supposed to welcome new members of the franchise in, but come on! This game isn't even in the same plane of existence as the others. Does anyone else feel this way? If not, why?
    Time to throw my opinion!

Too Easy:
    The game was incredibly easy, even if we disregard the other Pokemon games, for an RPG it was far too easy. Back when I played Pokemon Yellow for the first time and had nothing to compare it to, it was still fairly challenging. Unlike other Pokemon games, there are no challenging trainers at all outside of the Maison. Emerald had Stephen Stone, Platinum had the Cyrus battle in the Distortion World which could really kick you down a few notches if unprepared, HG/SS has Red, BW2 had Benga at the top of Black Tower or bottom of White Hollow, the most difficult battle X/Y has is post-game Serena's Vaporeon that occasionally gives me a minor issue.

Lack of Events:
    I can't say this bothers me, but what does bother me is region-exclusive events which seems to spit right in the face of the message XY is supposed to send out.

Lacking in Post-game content:
    What really bothers me about this is that there wasn't even any side games. RSE had Pokemon Contests, DPP had downgraded Pokemon Contests and Battle Frontier, HG/SS had the immensely fun Pokeathlon and also had Battle Frontier, W/B went a little downhill with the Pokemon Musicals but W2/B2 picked up the slack with the Pokemon World Tournament and Pokestar Studios.
    XY had a Maison with simple battle modes. Next.

Terrible Characters:
    It's a sad game when the Professor of all characters is the second most notable character. Lysandre was clearly evil, Team Flare never felt like a huge threat up until the end, Diantha was clearly the champion and left no impact at all. AZ was an amazing character and provided one of the most emotional story moments in Pokemon game history.

Uninteresting Pokemon:
    I have to disagree with you on this one. Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja as a set are the most interesting starters to date, Pangoro is an awesome looking Pokemon, Xerneas and Yveltal are great legendaries...um...Dedenne's cute...so most of them are uninteresting...

The Champion:
    Dianthia was a terrible champion.

The game has its share of flaws, but I've managed to rake up 700+ hours of gameplay so it can't be THAT bad...

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I never fully understood why do people care so much about the game's difficulty or storyline. I mean. . . It's POKEMON for heaven's sake. Pokemon never had any great ground breaking plots. They save those writers for Final Fantasy. And for the difficulty. . . IT'S FREAKING POKEMON!!!!!!! The game has always been easy since Generation 1. Gen 4 had some sort of fake difficulty spike, but it was still way too easy. If you want a challenge, play online. I get my fair share of challenges there. Otherwise, I'd just play the metagame, that was always challenging.

Once again, complaining about the story or difficulty just plain seems silly. Especially since each generation seem to spit on the grave of the story of the previous generation. Pokemon's story will ALWAYS be stupid, and will get worse in each generation.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Snip Snip

Pokemon's story will ALWAYS be stupid, and will get worse in each generation.

Gen V. They took a year alone to design the characters and the story of Black/White and it had one of the best stories in any Pokemon media. This shows that they have invested a lot of time in the story before. They could have at least attempted to keep the same quality of storytelling for Gen VI instead of just focusing heavily on a backstory and leaving the main story bland.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Gen V. They took a year alone to design the characters and the story of Black/White and it had one of the best stories in any Pokemon media. This shows that they have invested a lot of time in the story before. They could have at least attempted to keep the same quality of storytelling for Gen VI instead of just focusing heavily on a backstory and leaving the main story bland.

Technically this is true. But there are a lot of people who did not like Gen 5 story. I personally did. But people are making fun of the idea that this story is a rip off of PETA's philosophy.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    My turn:

The games were too easy: Pokemon has always been easy. And it kinda has to be. Besides still having the unfortunate children's label, Game Freak wants the games to be accessible to new players (becuz of teh moneyz). If you make it hard, it'll scare away new players, which is bad for business.

Too few events: It feels like their's not enough events, but you have to remember that X/Y isn't even a year old yet. Give it some time. Though I am annoyed at the lack in quality on some of the events we've had so far and the lack of global WiFi events.....

Lack of post game content: This was my major gripe with the games as well, but its a common thing in the games. The first pair of the generation usually lacks post game content. Just look at Red/Blue, Ruby/Sapphire, or Black/White. But I really wish Game Freak would stop doing that.
    And the Looker missions were great but too short, imo.

Characters not memorable: Most of the characters in Pokemon aren't memorable. Which needs to be fixed.

The sucky plot/evil team: This is a bit sad. I don't understand why Game Freak doesn't try to make a good story in the Pokemon games. They made an attempt in Gen 5, but ultimately failed. They need to understand that a large part of Pokemon's audience is creepy old people, like myself not kids anymore. We would appreciate a good story. And they could've made a good one with X and Y's/Lysandre's basic premise.

Lackluster new Pokémon: Never got why people use this as an arguing point, ever. Each generation has had its good and bad pokes, and which ones are good/bad is utterly subjective. Something so subjective doesn't make for a convincing point to me.

The Champion: I will agree that Game Freak didn't handle Diantha well. They really needed to have her more involved in the story and give her a little development.

But despite the games' flaws, they aren't terrible. It's just that they usually save all the good stuff for later entries in that generation. And I believe I've said this before, but Kalos has a lot of potential; the next Kalos game could possibly be the best ones yet.

....Hopefully.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I actually did enjoy these games; they were quite fun. Their graphics were astounding, gameplay was phenomenal, and story-line was pretty interesting. Actually, story wasn't as good as previous games, in some way, but it was still good--it's done a decent job at making you feel engaged. If it were a little longer, though, then it would've been more appreciative. As far as features go, I love them! Mega-evolutions are awesome, Pokémon-Amie is nice to mess around with, and those Roller Skates and Experience Share... they added a bunch of new fun and level of easiness into Pokémon. Of course, you could disable both of these if you choose, but I decided not to and stick.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    I enjoyed Pokemon X and Y a lot. What was lacking was Post Game content and the quality of the Post Game is terrible. The story wasn't even that good. i disliked Team Flare. Pokemon BW2 was an great story. How they went from that to this is revolting. The Champion: Who is the Champion? I don't know she's hardly in the story. Since Pokemon R/S/E the Champions have had A part in the story meaning they get Character Development. Character Development is very important for any Character. Diantha was poorly handled by Game Freak.

Years
  • The game was cool. I liked the 3D models and the new graphics. The story wasn't that good. And some online features could've been better but overall it was a good game!

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • Adding another point to this that I see as I start up the game for the first time in forever: they opted to include 3D, however the only time you can use it (that I know of) is in battles, and it lags the whole thing so badly. They included the feature, so why release it when it's not even optimized for the console it comes out on? I dunno if this isn't evident on an XL or whatever, but the majority of people own regular old 3DS's, so what's the deal with that?

And to those who say this game isn't meant to have a good story, you'd be very wrong. G/S/C, R/S/E, D/P/Pt, B/W, and B2/W2 all had great story lines that put X/Y to shame. With the exception of G/S/C and R/S/E, it actually felt like the bad guys were pretty damn evil (Team Galactic blew up a lake, opened a portal to another dimension, captured the lake guardians and tortured them; Team Plasma took over buildings, stole your best friends 'Mons, etc.). Team Flare did pretty much nothing except hang around in coffee shops and caves.

Heck, they all had their tough moments as well, but X/Y was just...babyish (even with the EXP. Share off, mind you).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2014
    I actually am enjoying my play through of the game so far. You're right about how most of the pokemon are boring, but I thought the refreshed look to everything makes the game perfect (plus, the old pokemon are all over the place too!)

what I recommend you do the next time a pokemon game comes out is to play it slow - on my first day I hardly finished beating the first gym :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2017
    i only got a 3DS under a month ago (groupon for $99) and pokemon y is my first pokemon game ever. i completed all 8 gyms in under a week. i actually don't care for much constant puzzles so i'm kind of glad this didn't have that...but i will say i thought the villian plot was interesting and i did feel emotional about AZ's story. agreed about the champion though, underutilized. she felt like a filler character and the game didn't find a way to really make you care.

Back