• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Did Blue's/Gary's Raticate Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Edge

Professional Bum
Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2011
    As posted above, Gary does indeed reference being there to catch Cubone. But it's still just as likely he was visiting one of his or his grandfather's dead pokemon. I guess we'll never really know. ;D

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    Oh great, it's this theory again. This theory make me want to punch Phiones in the face.

When you say he went to Pokemon Tower to catch a Cubone, it is pretty unlikely. Think about it, who would go to a tpwer to catch a Cubone??
    I mean, no one new that the ghost was Marowak except for Red and Mr. Fugi, maybe Team Rocket too.

...what does that have to do with anything? You can fight trainers with Cubone before you get to the tower. Now check your Pokedex- where are they shown being? In the tower. He wants to grab one, he goes there, decides he wants the evolved form, but oh wait, Team Rocket killed it so he can't find it (not that he knows why).

Look, I'm going to summarize every bit of info that disproves this theory:

* Raticate has never been very good. By the time you get to Lavender it's long been outclassed, and it's the GHOST tower. Why would a NORMAL type Pokemon be used there? (and don't give me this "why didn't he have it in the remakes?" lip, you know full well they don't change parties in the remakes until they get to original content).
    * There's literally no indication of it before or after. He doesn't say anything about it on the S.S. Anne. Nothing is said about it in your fights at Silph, the route west of Viridian, or in the Champion's room.
    * Your rival only cares about having the best, strongest Pokemon on his team. Raticate, as mentioned, is not very good at that point. He also mentions having 40 or so Pokemon in his dex on the boat, so clearly he has plenty of catches that he never uses. He can easily put stuff in the box that he doesn't like or has outlasted its usefulness, as he does other times throughout the games.
    * The rival is a jerk. He doesn't care about Pokemon like that. Oak says that after you beat him at Indigo Plateau. He says he was looking for Pokemon, and he may well have been waiting for grieving trainers to beat on. That sounds far more in his character.
    * They outright say Team Rocket murdered the mother Marowak. If they say that, they would say his Raticate died. Guess what they never say.

So can we put this to rest already? The only reason it keeps getting spread is because of people who want to try to make other players feel bad. And the "Cubone is Kangaskhan's baby" theory is just grasping at straws.

Yes, I'm kind of frustrated, but I am sick of people trying to spread this long-debunked story as canon.

I like to think it's not but…it would make sense. Well, okay. I'm half/half on this. I DO want it not to me true, but I kind of do. As in…if his Raticate DID die, that would be another reason for him to be in Lavender Town. And instead of telling the main character that he was mourning the death of his Pokemon he'd just put up a front and scoff, saying he was just there looking for Cubone.

It's a sad thought…that and Lavender Town in general. Of course I'm just glad your Pokemon don't ACTUALLY die. Just implied that it happens.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's not dead. That's a silly idea. He was in Lavender Town to pick up chicks, show up to get in the way of some loser wearing a cap and troll the internet by writing ironic stories about the music.

Years
  • Most likely, it didn't die. It's just a rumor from an internet creepypasta, really.
    He probably boxed it for something stronger, in this case, Gyarados or Exeggcute.
    And it's Gary Oak, he wouldn't be caught dead using a derp this far in the game.

DNZGames

Team Atmos Leader
    Years
  • Gary (or Green/Blue) is in many ways like Paul (out of the DP anime). Gary could easily of pushed any of his Pokémon far too hard, which might have caused Raticate to possibly die due to fatigue and exhaustion. Or, as it is primarily a kid's game - he ditched Raticate (who was still perfectly living).
    I see it as perhaps Gary going to visit one of Prof Oak's Pokémon (as Pokémon are quite like animals, many of which don't live incredibly long).
    That's a more likely reason since he does ask Red (you) What are you doing here? None of your Pokémon have died." Although this may suggest one of his Pokémon are dead, it could be his grandfather's.

Years
  • I see it as perhaps Gary going to visit one of Prof Oak's Pokémon (as Pokémon are quite like animals, many of which don't live incredibly long).
    That's a more likely reason since he does ask Red (you) What are you doing here? None of your Pokémon have died." Although this may suggest one of his Pokémon are dead, it could be his grandfather's.
    I think he says "None of your Pokémon have died." because it would be the most obvious reason to go there and he assumes that you wouldn't think to go there to catch pokemon.

Tkemert20

It pays to be a nerd.
    Years
  • I believe it was subtly implied that his Raticate died, Nintendo probably didn't want Gary/Blue to actually say "Hey Red, I'm just here mourning the loss of my Raticate you killed". I mean, why else would he be in the Pokemon Tower, resting place of the dead?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Because he hadn't shown up to battle you for a while, and it made a good place to give the player a boss fight while they try to reach Mr. Fuji, like he shows up most of the other plot dungeons. He didn't have a particular reason to be strolling around Silph Co. either except that there was a fuss going on.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    What really happened was Gary went on Smogon after the St. Anne battle and found out that Raticate is a bad Pokemon to use, so he released it back into the wild as it wasn't even worththe storage space in the PC. The end.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    -.- clearly this isnt true...
    although if it was
    it explains gary's need to beat you at most things
    Like for example
    he only explains that he wants to be a champion after him leaving the tower (so the encounter after that)
    obviously if the fact was true
    he was wanting some sort of vengance for his raticate

but its not true
    as gary says
    he's cleary in the tower to catch some cubones and pwn your buttocks ;D

yes
    a cubone!
    Not a baby kangastan
    or a diglett with a skull forced on his head!

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    I agree that it quite sad, even more so because, the PC has a lot of space. So it is really not a big problem just to hang onto it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    IMO This is just a creepypasta theory. Nintendo, at this point, doesn't exert very much attention to the story. They are obviously more focused with other game mechanics/aspects. Rightfully so, I think. Hopefully, Nintendo will really put a lot into the story one day.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The concept of Pokémon morality in general is something Game Freak have downplayed almost entirely ever since the first generation, though. Even in Gold and Silver the Pokémon Tower was convineintly replaced with another radio tower with nothing to do in it (Although this is in part because GSC's Kanto was rushed and unfinished anyway.)

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    There wasn't enough details, but maybe? ..

Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2011
    I never really thought about it until now, but now I honestly think it did die but to make it more rated "E" they don't specify...?

Rosebud2

My Pokemon is Fight!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2012
    It seems like it probably died, to me. For one, he says "What are you doing here? Your Pokemon don't look dead!" which seems to suggest that one of his Pokemon is dead. On the other hand, it seems like he would've put in one of his other Pokemon if that was why he had only 5...

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I still honestly think the Raticate was just deposited into the PC. I mean, does anyone ask why the Fearow that Blue/Gary had in Yellow wasn't in the team in the end? Probably because Blue/Gary wanted a space for a more powerful Pokemon, even though I quite like Raticate.

My own personal theory is that Blue/Gary set up a Raticate breeding farm and gave one of the offspring to some kid called Joey...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back