• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did Hunter J's death seem strange to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    In DP151: The Needs of Three, Hunter J's ship was struck down by Uxie and Mesprit's Future Sight attack. It crashed into the whirlpool and sunk into the lake before exploding.

This scene seemed tacked on by the writers to write off Hunter J and to show that death does happen in the Pokemon world. It's like they ran out of ideas for the character and decided to bump her off.

Not to mention, Hunter J (in my honest opinion) was a badass villain with so much potential. For her to be killed off like this is just unfitting. She should have had one last battle with Ash in an epic episode that led to her ultimate downfall. Hate her all you like but I love me a good villain and J is an awesome villain for Pokemon! She's much better than Team Rocket as she tries to kill Ash (not that I hate Ash) and she's always dead serious. Why couldn't she have appeared in more episodes?

Lastly, it doesn't seem like J really died. If you think about it, J could've escaped at the very last second by using a Psychic type Pokemon that she recently caught to teleport out of her airship and leave her men to die (as she's ruthless as usual). I have a feeling that the writers didn't really kill her off and are planning on having her return in Best Wishes. It may seem like wishful thinking and it is but I love Hunter J and I hope she returns somehow.

You can agree or diasgree however you like but I'm sticking by my opinions no matter what. So feel free to reply however you want.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • What an ass pull that would be. "Hunter J died in a crash. Wait! What's this? J got out due to the teleportation of a Psychic-type Pokémon! One that she caught off screen and never previously mentioned!" Let's hope the writers just leave her alone now.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    What an ass pull that would be. "Hunter J died in a crash. Wait! What's this? J got out due to the teleportation of a Psychic-type Pokémon! One that she caught off screen and never previously mentioned!" Let's hope the writers just leave her alone now.

Okay, maybe not that way. Though it is possible that J could have had an Abra or some other psychic Pokemon that knows teleport just in case. I mean we only seen 3 or 4 of her Pokemon and she's a hunter.

If not that, then maybe she used an escape pod that blasted her off to the Isshu region.

Speaking of Ass Pulls, that's just how I'd describe her death scene.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • It wasn't an Ass Pull. Her ship was hit by attacks from legendary Pokémon so it wouls be reasonable for it to eplode. The escspe pod would be closer to Diabolus Ex Machina.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    It wasn't an Ass Pull. Her ship was hit by attacks from legendary Pokémon so it wouls be reasonable for it to eplode. The escspe pod would be closer to Diabolus Ex Machina.

I'm saying that her death seemed to be have been tacked on as a last minute decision before the episode was animated.

If she reappears in Best Wishes, then her supposed death may have been done to surprise us.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 26, 2011
    If she did survive all that then, then I give up really. But I don't think she'll be back, I mean J was a DP exclusive villain and a very good one, but like all good villains they have to die sadly.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    You have to remember that Pokemon is notorious for using Disney Deaths. Now what are Disney Deaths? Well, put simply they're the most nonviolent ways that characters can die. The term 'Disney Death' is misleading, because Disney isn't the first company that used this idea. It's actually been around since the days of silent films, but it had no term for it back then (because it was actually the norm for death back then).

You'd see a fight of some kind, and often a guy would get knocked off a building or into the water (not always, but usually). You'd sometimes not even see a body, but you'd usually at least see an article of clothing or a mask, which is supposed to imply that they were killed. Sometimes, you'd also see the shadow of someone being stabbed to death or killed in a similar manner, and you'd also sometimes see a guy looking at his assassin, or means of death, then the camera abruptly switches to outside of the room and you hear a scream.

The reason it's called Disney Death is because Disney really brought that kind of death scene into the mainstream with countless movies featuring deaths through those kinds of things (not all the time, but often enough), but still being geared more toward kids. Movies like Sleeping Beauty (which had a bit more of an extreme version of a Disney Death, because you actually saw blood in one scene) or Lion King (where Scar gets torn apart by the hyenas) or even the end of the Incredibles are good examples of this concept. You don't actually see the violence (or you at least don't see it very well), but it's implied.

Pokemon is no different. Though often more flashy and filled with lights and explosions and a bit more involved, they do use the Disney Death concept in that you never really see the most violent part. And if it is part of an important action sequence, then it usually comes down to the character being so exhausted that they collapse and die from it (the John Henry Syndrome). Either way, the body usually either vaporizes, or in one case turns to crystal. J's ship just ends up exploding in a whirlpool. That's typical Disney Death material.

Last edited:

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I knew something was not right when that happened, it's like she escaped somehow and left towards another region to hide, waiting for the right moment to return.....

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • Well my opinion is she was kinda pointless, but she was pretty cool, espcially with all those statue thing, Hmmm. i havent seen the episode were she gets killed of, maybe ill have alook.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • matt0044 said:
    I'm saying that her death seemed to be have been tacked on as a last minute decision before the episode was animated.

If she reappears in Best Wishes, then her supposed death may have been done to surprise us.
    How did it seem tacked on?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    How did it seem tacked on?

No foreshadowing. No indication that it would be J's last episode. And no final battle with Ash.

It literally seems like that writers decided to bump her off and put it in the episode.

Which is why I think they'll bring J back for Isshu.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    Pokemon is no different. Either way, the body usually either vaporizes, or in one case turns to crystal. J's ship just ends up exploding in a whirlpool. That's typical Disney Death material.

Come again? Who was crystalized? Who died from exhaustion? Who was vaporized?

It doesn't count if they come back to life (meaning Ash's deaths don't count). (And Cyrus doesn't count, since his fate is undetermined, simply because we don't know what's on the other side of the void.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    J never had the foreshadowing because she wasn't important enough for it.

That's another thing. The writers weren't able to exploit the character enough. Like how she became a Pokemon Hunter, her motives or her encounters with Ash.

J really could've been an awesome character (maybe even better than Giovanni) but the writers just wasted her (or so it seems).

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Maybe the writers never intended for to be a deep character? Just a Pokémon Hunter who hunted Pokémon?

Well, she should've been. It would've been a nice shift in tone from the usual happy, smiley stories we have to deal with.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    ^

Because we've been stuck with Team Rocket for so long. That's why. I'm POed that she died, but I don't want her coming back. Make a new cool villain. A guy maybe.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I liked her...but if she returns, they'll screw her over. I have a gut feeling about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back