• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Did R/S/E have the most adventure for you?

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
  • did it? I can recall spending months playing my sapphire and emerald games, think about it. -you had jungles
    -get to dive underwater
    -climb up the side of a volcano
    -GET TO BE INSIDE A VOLCANO (sootopolis)
    -the regi factor had me going all over the place (which was fun)
    -running through the volcano ashes
    -pokemon contest were alot of fun
    -and the battle frontier introduced in emerald had me playing over 400 hours

so was it adventerous for you?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I found Hoenn to be a big bore-fest once I left Lilycove. Reason: TOO MUCH WATER! It was okay up to that point (even if they did try to cram too many different environments into one region). But traversing route after route of water, swimmers, and Tentacool started to really grate on my nerves and is the main reason Hoenn stands as my least favorite region. That final watery stretch is just too much of a monotonous hassle for me to want to play through it again.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Actually, RSE did have the most adventure. Since they were my first pokemon games, I was still fairly naive, and the game seemed so much bigger and epic. Also, I love all the different types of areas, especially Mt. Pyre. The only thing that really annoyed me was, like most others, all those water routes... It wouldn't be so bad if the encounter rate was a little bit lower for surfing x_____x

Spoiler:

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • I think Hoenn had some of the best adventures with me. I remember getting Sapphire for my Birthday then staying up late playing. I never actually completed any of the games full, like catching the Regis, beating the Baattle Frontier, catching all the Pokemon, but this time I am.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    Nah, I wouldn't really agree with that. Although it was much more diverse and was a step up from G/S/C, to me it still had one fatal flaw distinguishing it from the GSC: The lack of more playability after the Elite Four. I know it may sound stupid, but think about it. After you beat the Johto League, you could then play through the Kanto region, which to me seemed pretty cool. R/S/E doesn't do this, besides having the legendaries appear. Although the Battle Frontier did make up for this in Emerald.

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
  • Hoenn is my least favourite, because of all the water routes. I really don't like those--it's no different than long grass but at least on foot/bike there are non-grassy patches now and then! I don't hate it at all, but I tend to restart the game and then bail out after Lilycove.

I do enjoy all the land parts though!

Years
  • it still had one fatal flaw distinguishing it from the GSC: The lack of more playability after the Elite Four. I know it may sound stupid, but think about it. After you beat the Johto League, you could then play through the Kanto region, which to me seemed pretty cool.
    ^This.
    Back when I got Ruby in 2003, I'd never used the internet or bought magazines relating to games, hence I knew nothing about RS when they came out. I was convinced that you'd be able to return to at least one of the two previous regions. It seems as though this may have been originally planned- there are several Johto songs in the data for Ruby, Sapphire and even Emerald. Anyways, I was extremely disappointed that all that was left was the stupid Battle Tower. IMHO, this was one of the only things wrong with RS, and as Tachiba said, Emerald made up for this (and nicely so) with the Battle Frontier.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I found Hoenn to be a big bore-fest once I left Lilycove. Reason: TOO MUCH WATER! It was okay up to that point (even if they did try to cram too many different environments into one region). But traversing route after route of water, swimmers, and Tentacool started to really grate on my nerves and is the main reason Hoenn stands as my least favorite region. That final watery stretch is just too much of a monotonous hassle for me to want to play through it again.
    I thought the water routes in Ruby (the version I played) was much more interesting than the VERY boring water routes in Kanto and Johto. They were only transport routes, get from this island to that island, while the R/S/E waters to the east... no, all the waters actually, made me want to explore a bit~

The sea to the east of Hoenn wasn't just a route, it was a sea where I actually got lost more than a few times XD I admit I was annoyed, but it made the game feel big.

Although, Tentacools deserve to die painful deaths in pokéhell for irritating surfers over all these years.

Nah, I wouldn't really agree with that. Although it was much more diverse and was a step up from G/S/C, to me it still had one fatal flaw distinguishing it from the GSC: The lack of more playability after the Elite Four. I know it may sound stupid, but think about it. After you beat the Johto League, you could then play through the Kanto region, which to me seemed pretty cool. R/S/E doesn't do this, besides having the legendaries appear. Although the Battle Frontier did make up for this in Emerald.

Oh? I thought Ruby was fun even after Elite 4. I mean, many trainers wanted to fight you AGAIN (in Emerald, don't the gym leaders re-fight yo too?) and you could easily train your pokémon and make new teams, venture further into safari zone, catch Bagon, catch Latios...

I finally restarted my game when I wanted to do it from the start again, though I had already pretended to start over (traveling the whole of Hoenn from Littleroot with a newly hatched pokémon) several times, but of course it wasn't the same without the story going.

... I don't really want to admit it, since the pokémon of the 3rd gen are my least favs as a whole, but Hoenn might be my favourite region. Unofficially. The games where the most fun, anyways (I haven't played D/P/P much).

Officially, Johto's mystique has me hooked and faved ;)

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2011
    No, not at all. The constant surfing was just terrible, it completely ruined the game for me.

Also, after beating the Elite 4 and catching the Regi trio there was simply nothing to do (with the exception of Emerald). G/S/C had the whole Kanto region after it, and FR/LG had the Sevii Islands, R/S had nothing.

For me.
    Johto > Kanto > Sinnoh > Hoenn

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I don't care much for the Frontier...but the Regis were fun to go after. However, they were the first trio to actually have to be unlocked, and by unlocked, I mean some strenuous activity. Who really wants to raise Wailmer to level 40 so it can evolve? Not to mention the braille. OH, THE BRAILLE. But I liked it. It was just frustrating at times.

I hated surfing, though. It seemed to me that 2003 was all about water games. Surfing in Ruby and Sapphire and sailing in Wind Waker...damn, Nintendo.

Overall, I find them the most replayable, but that's a back handed compliment. They're only replayable because I don't mind losing the team that I have on it. If I don't want to start a game over, I must really have a good team that I don't feel like trading into storage.

SCV058

The Able Vet
    Years
  • I think that compared to other games, (FRLG, DPPt, HGSS,) the Hoenn games had very little storyline after the defeat of the E4. Sure, there are legendaries and the Battle Tower/ Battle Frontier, but the other games had those plus storylines, and that's kinda sad...

HomicideCrunkMan

You just lost the game.
    Years
  • Haha, I am currently doing a Walkthrough of Emerald (oh, the coincidence)
    I have just gotten my Pokenav and beat all the trainers in the Dewford gym (just to get owned by Brawly's Makuhita) well that's what happens when you are evenly training your team. You sometimes don't train enough and get owned by a freakin' Makuhita but I do love RSE, hence the current walkthrough.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I liked the fact that I got to go to Sootopolis and I enjoyed running up Mount Pyre catching Vulpixes, but if the graphic were as good as Crystall :(

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Honestly, R/S/E are the three worst games in the entire Pokémon Series, From my Standpoint.
    As people have said, there's way too much water.
    And I also had the problem that alot of the Pokémon new to Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald didn't really feel like Pokémon. Sure, I've grown used to them, but they didn't have the feel that the first two generations of Pokémon had.
    Oh, and another thing that makes me despise these games is Team Aqua and Team Magma. The storyline in R/S/E is cringeworthy. The whole "OMFG TAKE OVER THE WORLD" plot really didn't do it for me, and there weren't many "Lovable" personas in Hoenn.
    The gameplay itself is solid, but when playing this when it was first released, I felt a bit dissapointed after the greatness that was G/S/C. Despite the fact the game was new, it still felt inferior.
    Emerald did kinda rescue it with the Battle Frontier, But it still wasn't enough, IMO.

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2009
    i dont really like hoenn until emerald cos they introduced alot of new stuff to do
    i prefer kanto but i like pearls place

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • I must say, There was alot of water and you had like a 1 to 5 chance of getting a tentacool >.<. BUT! R/S/E was pretty long. I remember being the first kid in lower school to get all 3 regis :D

Oh yeah and the fact that one lunch time we had like 20 people all sat down going around catching pokemon when suddenly a latias appeared! Everyone crowded round me saying omg attack it! I was like no way! and threw my masterball. Around 3 days after my friend found it, attacked it it fled he was like >.<

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2009
    I think that emerald was the best GBA game. Emerald had the most adventure for me in the GBA series. I liked Emerald,Ruby and Sapphire better than fire red and leafgreen

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • The game was pretty good. I really enjoyed playing that game. My favorite was starting off with Torchic because it's really cool. So is mudkip and treeko but I chose Torchic the first time. Good times. I really liked the cries but I hated all the surfing and the fact that the only pokemon that came out of the Victory Road were stupid Golbats. I shouldn't have evolved my Torchic. Then I almost made it out of the Cave and I remember going "Finally! I don't think my Pokemon would survive another battle" and stupid Wally comes in and says he wants to show me how strong he became.
    To summarize it all, I loved the brand new pokemon, they were cool. I hated all the water pokemon and all the flying moves that rained down on Blaziken. T_T

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
  • I don't really play anything past Johto - I use a Leafgreen in tournaments (Plan to be using SoulSilver for next year's world championship, however!) and I do have an Emereld that I just got for the Johto section they have in the safari zone.

My favorite region is Johto, it made my entire month when I found out that they are doing them again!

I do agree that S/R/E have a lot of good adventure, but, like everyone else, too much water! When I went through Emerld, I just stopped at the Pokemarts in every town and bought as many Max Repels as I could for all the water, and got super-great at my dodging trainers skills (: All in all, they are fun games, but my inner four year old hates seeing 480+ empty spots on the pokedex when I'm used to 350

Back