• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did they make Mewtwo too powerful in the movie?

Years
  • I have to be honest, after seeing what Mewtwo did in the first movie, I have a hard time seeing other Pokemon as "powerful" with few exceptions.

I mean Mewtwo managed to easily send back Garydos' hyper beam, and managed to easily pick up and throw multiple strong Pokemon at once.

I wonder if he could so easily do the same to Pokemon such as Darkrai, Celebi, Arceus, etc.

Years
  • Let's be honest, Mewtwo is easily one of the most powerful Pokemon in the games. Mewtwo is not only the last Pokemon you catch in Red and Blue, it's the strongest Pokemon in the game, it makes sense for it to portrayed as such a powerhouse in this movie. Mewtwo is a powerhouse. Let's not forget that this was the very first Pokemon movie, not just some episode of the anime. They needed a beast like Mewtwo to really excite people and le's face it, Mewtwo still is one of the strongest monsters in the game.

I think Mewtwo would actually have some good competition against the powerful legendary Pokemon. Come on anime writers; make it happen!

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Mewtwo Vs. Arceus: One epic battle.
    ^This was in my head just now. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen. lol

If it's a legendary Pokemon, it has to be powerful. So, they made Mewtwo powerful, because it's a legendary Pokemon.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Like Kirbychu said, it is supposed to be one of the most powerfulest pokémon in the games so I makes sence it's super duper strong.

Mewtwo Vs. Arceus: One epic battle.
    Thats not such a bad idea. Since Mewtwo was created by humans not Arceus.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • They made Mewtwo very powerful in the movie because like its video game Pokedex entries state, it's the strongest of all Pokemon.

Years
  • Mewtwo is the most badass of all the pokemon, and he is maybe the strong pokemon (not counting arceus).

A great fights would be, as someone say before, Mewtwo vs Arceus, Mewtwo vs Deoxys (in the manga this was awesome) and Mewtwo vs Genosect

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    i dont really know about arceus, it would be an epic battle though

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Well it was first pokemon movie, we only knew 1st generation and some exceptions of second, Mewtwo was legendary pokemon and main pokemon of movie and he, we must say it, was considered to be most powerful 1st generation Pokemon.
    So I don't think he was overpowered.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Seeing as it was the most powerful pokemon back in the day, it has every right to be insanely dangerous.

Guest123_x1

Mewtwo was so powerful in the movie because it was engineered to be so powerful by Team Rocket scientists to assist Team Rocket (and the boss) with their deeds.

SpiralHorn

Feels like an old fart D:
    Years
  • No way, Mewtwo totally owns. I would love it if he had an encounter with Arceus, not to fight persay, but for some serious philosophical discussion. Who better than Arceus to answer his question of purpose in life? (I'm assuming Arceus can talk, I never saw the newer movies)

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
  • Of course they didn't make him too powerful. The writers needed to draw in the audience, and a perfect beast would be Mewtwo. He would totally trash that horse thing Arceus.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2011
    i'd love a deoxys/mewtwo battle in a movie
    it would be unlikely seeing how neither are Unova/Isshu pokemon but maybe they could include genesect (tho i see it in a movie with arceus, a pokemon created by humans for evil vs the pokemon that created the rest of them) or maybe meloetta

Years
  • Maybe they didn't expect the franchise to be so long-lived at the start so they made him super strong in the movie but it is consistent with the original games.

But they did have plans for more Pokemon from the start e.g. Ho-Oh is in the first episode, the Togepi Egg, the Pokerap says 'at LEAST 150 pokemon', also there is the mysterious Pokemon from the Bill episode.

Years
  • Maybe they didn't expect the franchise to be so long-lived at the start so they made him super strong in the movie but it is consistent with the original games.

But they did have plans for more Pokemon from the start e.g. Ho-Oh is in the first episode, the Togepi Egg, the Pokerap says 'at LEAST 150 pokemon', also there is the mysterious Pokemon from the Bill episode.

I always thought that the "Mysterious Pokémon" was a Dragonite. I might be wrong; but I honestly think it was one.

To me he didn't seem too powerful, considering his type and story; I think his power is right. Although it would be nice if they did something involving him again. It's been so long since we've gotten to see him in action. (Well, him or Mew. I really want to see what Mew can do.)

Years
  • I always thought that the "Mysterious Pokémon" was a Dragonite. I might be wrong; but I honestly think it was one.

To me he didn't seem too powerful, considering his type and story; I think his power is right. Although it would be nice if they did something involving him again. It's been so long since we've gotten to see him in action. (Well, him or Mew. I really want to see what Mew can do.)

Yeah, I thought it was Dragonite too but as far as I can remember the Pokedex couldn't recognise it although it had knowledge of Dratini and Dragonair and it did look slightly different to Dragonite but then again all we saw really was a sillhouette.

Back