• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did you believe the earth was flat as a child?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I never gave it any thought... not even to this date. As I don't intend to circle it, I may as well assume it is flat for the purposes of navigation.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Now that I think about it. When I was a little kid I had a tremendous interest in the cosmos. And I hypothesized after observing the sky that the earth is flat and endless. I dunno why I though it was endless, probably cause I couldn't find another explanation for the sky's hemispherical shape.

I also thought the earth was at the deepest bottom of the universe and only the sun can go under it. Yep, good old 5 year old imagination XD.

Years
    The earth is pretty much flat. Y'know, besides mountains and stuff.

As a child I assumed so, since that's what common sense tells you. I didn't really give it a second thought.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Never. I've always believed that the Earth was round, from the time I could speak.

But I have thought other weird things as a kid about the same thing.
    I used to think that we live inside the Earth, and was corrected when I was twelve that we live in the outer surface.
    And even until age seven, I used to think the Earth was a perfect sphere, which isn't as silly of a thought, seeing as it doesn't stray too far still.

Years
    I can't remember ever thinking the world was flat. I might've when I was reaaaaaaally little, but sadly I don't remember. By the time I hit school, well, it's hard not to acknowledge the world is round, especially when faced with globes, and when the topic of Columbus came up.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    Not sure if I ever thought the Earth was flat. It always seemed round to me, and in Kindergarten we discussed the planets and the Earth looked spherical to me. :P

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    I don't recall ever believing that the Earth was flat, but I could've when I was little. I don't remember so, I'm going to have to go with no.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Yeah, I did. When I first found out the earth was a globe, I couldn't believe it. I would look outside, or even on the floor, and not understand how something so seemingly flat could be actually round.

Then I got over it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    No, not really. xD

I did think, though, that earth had some place where if you got there, you'd fly away. xD

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    I once thought Austria and Australia were the same country, but I haven't really given much thought about the world to theorize anything about it. XD

lmfao you don't know how often I hear that when I tell people I'm half Austrian ahaha

anyway no, I never thought the earth was flat. pretty sure I didn't even really think about what it looked like until I was told it was round... :/

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
    I didn't bother thinking about it.
    Moreover, I didn't know that I lived on a planet called Earth back then. xD

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Once you've lived with episodes of Barney, Elmo and the Wiggles most of your childhood you would have never thought of the world to be flat

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    From when I was about four/five, my school drilled into me that OMGNOEZTEHEARTHIZROUND!!1!
    ... So, yeah. I never even found out that other people thought Earth was flat until I'd already learned it wasn't. ^__^
    xX

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Since I was old enough to grasp the concept I instinctively knew that world was spherical.

I cant explain why. From the age of 3 I knew quite a few things instinctually that most kids that age dont know.

Back