• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you expect a Ruby/Sapphire remake? What was your reaction?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I was expecting the RSE remake at some point, to the point sometimes I'm imagining how will it go on my DS or even 3DS. I'm still having a bit hope when the wait for ORAS was quite long, even though not as much. So, when it was announced when I was checking some gaming sites, I begin to check the Pokémon YouTube channel for confirmation, and I'm happy seeing it.

pkmin3033

Yeah, it was fairly obvious we were going to get remakes of these at some point, after HG/SS were remade against all expectations. Nobody thought those were going to come out either, and they did, so I suspected Gen III remakes were coming after a set amount of time. I'm just surprised it took them this long, to be honest.

I wasn't particularly excited, because I didn't much enjoy Gen III the first time around - coming off of Johto it was quite bland and felt very small to me, the music was absolutely godawful (no, I am never going to let that go) and it came out at around the point where Pokemon had started to go "out of fashion" as it were, and my interest was being drawn away from the franchise a little in favour of other things...R/S did little to pull me back in with the same level of interest I'd previously had. That came when Diamond and Pearl were released.

I was fairly surprised it wasn't on the DS, though - even with X and Y out, it made more sense to me to have Gens I through to V on the DS and then continue with VI onwards on the 3DS. It just seemed...neater. xD

Years
    Like many others said, after the Gen 1 and 2 remakes, I was totally expecting a Gen 3 remake at some point. So it was essentially a waiting game. A really long waiting game, but still. {XD}

Personally, I played all of the originals, so I was super excited when the remake became official. My reaction was one of those "I told you so!" moments, and I enjoyed rubbing that into my friends' faces every so often. Okay, maybe a little more than every so often, but you get my drift. {XD}

Unfortunately, I wasn't around PC when the remakes were announced, so I wasn't able to participate in the speculation thread. :( I actually joined PC a little while after the remakes were finally released.

In the end, I wasn't disappointed at all with how the remakes turned out. Everything about it made me so excited and I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning again. I really can't wait to see what else GameFreak has in store for us in the future. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I did expect R/S remakes. Given GF's history of other remakes, I figured if there was enough demand to make third gen remakes profitable, they would be created. Plus, R/S could no longer be played on the same system as the current games (as the 3DS had no GBA slot), so it seemed like it was time to rehash them. While RSE were still compatible with current games, enough had changed in game mechanics to make a remake worthwhile (plus, there was a whole new audience of people to play ORAS who hadn't played RSE, and many of the people who had played RSE were old enough to buy remakes themselves at release).

I was less excited about ORAS than about the other remakes. Gen 3 was never a favorite for me, and in many ways, I remained bitter that a reboot after gen 2 took away access to many of my favorite Pokemon (both in terms of backwards compatibility and with respect to the incomplete R/S Pokedex, a problem that wasn't rectified until FRLG). FRLG meant the revival of access to many of my favorite Pokemon, and HGSS meant a trip back to my favorite region, one I had longed for for years after my Gold game died in 2006. ORAS didn't carry the same nostalgia, so I approached it more with the mindset of "it's another Pokemon game." Sure, I was excited, but not eagerly awaiting it in the same way as HGSS.

That being said, I had a great time playing ORAS. While I think some areas could have been fleshed out a bit more, I enjoyed my second trip to Hoenn a lot more than my first one. I think the reason for that was distance. When R/S came out, I mourned the loss of access to my Gold team, and didn't enjoyed the region as much as I might have. By the time I played ORAS, however, I had begun to think of each of my Pokemon journeys in isolation, and didn't tend to trade my team from one game to the next anyway. Thus, if I wanted to visit Johto, all I had to do was swap out my AS cartridge for my HG one. Simple enough. I also traded myself some bred Pokemon to use during my playthrough, which added to the diversity of my ever-changing team and made my experience better. That way, I had not only gen 3 Pokemon to use, but a taste of all of the other generations as well.

I can't recall if I participated in the speculation thread or not. I recall reading about the remakes on various websites, but I don't know how much I was actively posting when the games were announced. Life was pretty busy for me then.

Years
    I did expect R/S remakes. Given GF's history of other remakes, I figured if there was enough demand to make third gen remakes profitable, they would be created. Plus, R/S could no longer be played on the same system as the current games (as the 3DS had no GBA slot), so it seemed like it was time to rehash them. While RSE were still compatible with current games, enough had changed in game mechanics to make a remake worthwhile (plus, there was a whole new audience of people to play ORAS who hadn't played RSE, and many of the people who had played RSE were old enough to buy remakes themselves at release).
    You make a lot of very good points here. The demand for a Hoenn remake was so overwhelming that it'd be stupid to not make a remake. If the demand for it is so high, why not go through with it? It's a great way to make profit.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2015
    To be honest, Hoenn was my least favorite region in the past. When the remakes were announced however, I was really excited to play it since the X/Y games were great. I only just started playing ORAS just a couple days ago though and I enjoy how so much is familiar yet it feels so different with a fresh coat of paint.

Super Prism

Sylveon Enthusiast
    Years
    Oh, I expected them, I just wasn't ready. Maybe it's because I don't keep myself up to date with pokemon news... But jeez, those games hit me like a truck. Basically my only issue with the game was the fact that they got rid of player customization. Even still, that doesn't take away from the gameplay at all. :P

Back