• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Did you use Ampharos or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    I always used him in GSC because it was great back then, I dont know how different it is now with all thats changed but, i prob wont use him in SS as ill be trying to play through the game on "Hard Mode" (getting pokemon that everyone in the game is strong against for a challenge) and in HG ill be doing a monotype challenge and not Electric so...

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I do like Ampharos' new sprite.

I just don't want to use a Pokemon that been overused in like every HG/SS walkthrough on YouTube. Trying to be original.

KajiVenator

The Flame Huntzman
    Years
  • I will use the Mareep I just hatched (with decent IVs might I add) as an Ampharos in my E4 team and then it will be replaced by a Shinx/Luxio/Luxray for Kanto. That plus a shiny Flygon and I'll do really well.

Years
  • When you think about it, there's a limited amount of electric types in the game unless you're going to trade in one or something. I used Ampharos in G/S/C but this time, I think I'll use Raikou or Jolteon. I don't like Ampharos' speed much, even though it's a good Poke.

Years
  • I do like Ampharos' new sprite.

I just don't want to use a Pokemon that been overused in like every HG/SS walkthrough on YouTube. Trying to be original.

You could use Lanturn, Electrode, Jolteon, or Magneton (or Magnezone if you trade it to Sinnoh to level it up in Mt. Coronet.)

Magnemite's overworld sprite in my sig is cute.

I already have an Electrode level 70 in Platinum that I'm working on getting to level 100. I have Magneton in my Emerald that I plan to migrate as well. My Raichu is level 71 in Platinum. (Originally from LeafGreen.)

I probably will use Ampharos, because I don't battle competitively. When I first played Gold, I didn't know Mareep's final evolution was Ampharos. I saw Jasmine with Ampharos so that's why I wanted to use it when I did a new game. It's a good Pokemon to have. (I can trade it to Platinum to teach it the elemental punches and trade it back.) If I get both HG and SS, I'll use Ampharos in one of them and maybe Lanturn in the other.

Last edited:

Ellie

Sweet Punch!
    Years
  • I used Ampharos a few times in GS, so I probably won't use one because I like picking a different team. I might end up using it anyway in a later game though since there usually isn't a lot to pick from in the early game.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • One thing that bugs me conserning Ampharos is it's speed. I mean, wtf, an electric type and so slow? But it has one of the most decent Sp.Attack..

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well Magnemite and it's evolutionary line aren't exactly fast either and have decent Special Attack.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Well, I had an Ampharos, because I already planned a STEEL type, so I didn't want to have 2 STEEL Pokémon.

Ampharos isn't Steel...?

Anyways, I used Flaafy in the Japanese Soulsilver (didn't bother playing far enough to evolve it further) and used Ampharos in ...I think the original Crystal or Gold. I won't be using it this time. I tend to stick away from the 'default' or 'cookie-cutter' teams. None of my team in D/P/P included the most commonly used Pokémon in those games (Staraptor, Luxray, Infernape, Alakazam, etc.).

Years
  • Well, lets see.......depends on situation. Magnezone, believe it or not, is faster then Ampharos. Also, it's Special Attack is light-years ahead of Ampharos's. Both of their Special Defense is the same, at 90. However, Ampharos has more HP(90) then Magnezone's(70). Attack and Defense, there's little or no difference. Only Ampharos has 5 more Base Power.

Answer your question?

Olliee

Spreading the Pokerus. PM me
    Years
  • Nope, I'm not really a huge ampharos fan, although I used one originally, it just seems as of recently, it kinda bores me, single typed pokemon are so restricted, therefore, I plan to teach thunderbolt to my mix moved Wigglytuff :D

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • I used a Raichu when i played through my Japanese Copy of Soulsilver.
    I'll probably use a Chinchou or something in my playthrough of the english game.
    I used Ampharos way too much back in the day.

zirico

M.C.F.C
    Years
  • I always use one for some reason, maybe because its strong against both legendaries, and about a quarter of the gyms. And because of the dragon trainers in the game + the fact that I choose Cyndaquil so it is also effective against my rivals totadile :)

Years
  • I have this weird thing about not using the Pokemon every else uses during my playthrough. I don't even understand what's so great about Ampharos to begin with (In design, and power). I'll probably choose Chikorita as my starter, since Cyndaquil seems to be really popular this time.

Years
  • I don't care how many people are using a specific pokemon. The trailer says "travel with your favorite Pokemon" and Ampharos happens to be one of my favorite electric types that I haven't trained since the days of GSC. I don't care how many people are using it. I'm not going to deprive myself of using a Pokemon that I like just because a lot of other people are using it. I loved Ampharos ever since I saw Jasmine's Amphy. (And Flaaffy is adorable. ^_^) So, tl;dr version: I'm traveling with my favorite Pokemon! Who's with me? =D

(Along with Amphy, I'd like to use Smoochum, Gligar, Sneasel, Sandshrew, Teddiursa, Crobat, Ariados, Phanpy, Ledian, starters, and more. I love the Kanto Pokemon overworlds as well as the Johto Pokemon overworlds.)

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I'm traveling with my favorite Pokemon! Who's with me? =D
    You make a good point, and when I look back HeartGold and SoulSilver take place in Johto, the origin of Elekid, which happens to be my favorite Electric type Pokémon. Earlier in my first post here, I was uncertain if I would use Ampharos or not seeing as so many others were going for it. When I took a look at Elekid I noticed I wouldn't receive it without breeding it later on in the game.

In short, once I'm eligible to make trades between DPPt and HG/SS I'm just going to trade over an Elekid egg into my game so I can raise it early. It'll be my Electric Type Pokémon for my team and I'll still keep my originality as far as in-game teams go.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • You make a good point, and when I look back HeartGold and SoulSilver take place in Johto, the origin of Elekid, which happens to be my favorite Electric type Pokémon. Earlier in my first post here, I was uncertain if I would use Ampharos or not seeing as so many others were going for it. When I took a look at Elekid I noticed I wouldn't receive it without breeding it later on in the game.

In short, once I'm eligible to make trades between DPPt and HG/SS I'm just going to trade over an Elekid egg into my game so I can raise it early. It'll be my Electric Type Pokémon for my team and I'll still keep my originality as far as in-game teams go.

You can get a level 11 Elekid from the PokéWalker courses after you've walked a bit, just as a helpful hit.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    Yup! I personally like the Mareep Evos. Ampharos will make a good powerhouse depending on it's nature and moves(I'm obsessed with power :) lol)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back