• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    YES! I had been stalking his thread waiting for this update, time to play nova red again, and since it's fresh an new and I already played both the2.3 and emerald, this time it'll be a nuzlocke, thank you very much for the hard work, I'll let you know if I find anything wrong while I have a blast :D.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    YES! I had been stalking his thread waiting for this update, time to play nova red again, and since it's fresh an new and I already played both the2.3 and emerald, this time it'll be a nuzlocke, thank you very much for the hard work, I'll let you know if I find anything wrong while I have a blast :D.

Looking forward to your feedback!
    (Fair warning: the game is hard enough as it is and was not designed with nuzlockers in mind. Nuzlocke at your own risk)

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2022
    Somehow my Wingdramon have less stats than it's pre-evo, Airdramon.
    Latest 3.0 patch btw

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Another bug I found: Lopmon lose it's ability after evolved from kokomon.

also I feel Chikurimon DEF is too low compared to Emerald version.

Fixed again. Sorry, do you mind playtesting the game all the way through and then when you finish giving me the glitches all in one go? I appreciate it. 😁

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2023
    Beat Elite 4 tho was very close, was fun romhack must say as someone who only knows Digimon from when I was a Kid and only like the very first season. The level disadvantage was a bit too much for my liking but still.
    Will probably play the Emerald version next with different Digimons.
    Some things I saw while playing:
    - Pewter City, House Top Right has a guy who text is just some weird symbols.
    - Vermillion City, Guy in the Pokemon Center heals your Mons instead of showing text.
    - Pokemon Mansion has a NPC that crashes the game when trying to fight him. Only displays wierd symbols aswell. He is the only guy on the Top Floor.
    - One passage on Mt.Embers has wild encounters every single step with lvls anywhere between like 14 and 84. Don't recall the name of the Digimon but it is always the same one.
    - Twice Repels didnt have any effect but I was not able to replicate the problem later
    - Don't know if intended or not but the Hyokomon/Kokatorimon line can't learn fly

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Beat Elite 4 tho was very close, was fun romhack must say as someone who only knows Digimon from when I was a Kid and only like the very first season. The level disadvantage was a bit too much for my liking but still.
    Will probably play the Emerald version next with different Digimons.
    Some things I saw while playing:
    - Pewter City, House Top Right has a guy who text is just some weird symbols.
    - Vermillion City, Guy in the Pokemon Center heals your Mons instead of showing text.
    - Pokemon Mansion has a NPC that crashes the game when trying to fight him. Only displays wierd symbols aswell. He is the only guy on the Top Floor.
    - One passage on Mt.Embers has wild encounters every single step with lvls anywhere between like 14 and 84. Don't recall the name of the Digimon but it is always the same one.
    - Twice Repels didnt have any effect but I was not able to replicate the problem later
    - Don't know if intended or not but the Hyokomon/Kokatorimon line can't learn fly

Excellent feedback! All fixed now. But yes, Hyokomon/Kokatorimon are flightless birds. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2023
    Amaaaaaazing hack, I play both Nova Red and Emerald now, thanks for your hard work!!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Alright, champion defeated, nuzlocke failed, most stuff done, here are the things I noted.

Brock seems a bit too hard, kudamon specifically is almost impossible to counter with the digimon you have access to before him, between it's typing, ability and coverage, and grinding is super slow because of the low exp yealds although, those are almost the same as the original.

The rockets are mostly well balanced but sukamon with revenge so early almost 100% going to kill at least one your mons, not necessarily a problem, just salty it took my metal-koromon XD.

Some exp yields are definitely too low, specifically babies and in-trainings, which would not be a problem, except for the fact that even high level trainers have some of them, making the fights feel less rewarding, also some perfects and megas give very little.

The two unskippable trainers right above vermillion, if you vs seeker the girl she will have a lv18 vikemon, I presume that's not intended but being low level and having very weak moves it's not a big gameplay problem, great exp though.
    The boy right below her, if vs seeker battled has a lv 21 metalgarurumon AND weregarurumon, again, low level and weak moves don't make him insurmountable, but the metalgarurumon specifically is bulky as hell that early, good thing I had dragon rage :D, again great exp, they don't have them after a couple badges though, no idea why. After Erika, two trainers on nugget bridge have vikemon and Ophanimon, but they are so low level that it doesn't even count.
    Several other occurrences of random megas in remetch teams, probably the team building coding, they look scary but all in all are not that big a problem.

When my weedmon evolved into blossomon at lv 40, the resulting blossomon was lv 42 instead, surely somethign to do with the exp curve of the two.

Seadramon, betamon, darktyrannomon, k.numemon, pandamon, shoutmon sword, seems to be uncatchable, ultraballs don't even shake once at 1 hp, masterball works.

Seasarmon is in place of articuno instead of Neptunemon.

The game freezes when roost is used by enemies, don't know about allies.

In the pokmon mansion, in the room with the max potion and the book about lucemon's ritual is a burglar that will freeze the game if talked to, if you fight him he has a lv0 missingno and still freezes the game.

Plesiomon only has 1 hp, I'm guessing it took shedinja's place and it's programming is still there.
    lavogaritamon evolves into itself every level and does not evolve into Volcanicdramon.

Leomon has incredibly low attack.

Moonblast has 40pp.

Also, I couldn't find the itemfinder, possibly because of the changed rewards from the aides (great Idea by the way, that everstone was always useless in hacks).

That is all, I had a ridiculous amount of fun replaying it whit so many changes, I how this information helps you :D.

Now, a couple considerations I havo to make give my experience with the game.
    During the whole game exp earned felt too low with how much higher the levels of enemies are, may I suggest adding a lucky egg somewhere near the beginning, putting the expshare earlier, or maybe putting rare candies in the coinshop?

I still feel that lv 100 for the ultras is a bit much but eh, I'll complete the dex in this one too as soon as it's possible because I'm having just this much fun XD.

Are the sevii islands 4-9 closed because you want to do something with them or you just didn't want them playable? If so why? Being able to go into cerulean cave without doing them is great though.

Crabmon being the only catchable thing it almost all non sea water point makes me sad , so many lost encounters :(.

Last but not leas, I feel like it could be cool being able to find the type boosting items somewhere, they were very scarce in FR/LG.

That is all thanks again for this awesome experience :D.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2022
    OK, just beat the E4. Some bug I noticed:

Bug/Glitch:
    Xiamon not evolving even at lv 50
    Defiant not working with Intimidate but worked with status move
    Prof Aide don't give itemfinder/ didn't find itemfinder after talk to the prof's aide
    Assurance move does not work properly? always fail
    Acupressure make you chose between enemy and yourself, but only your mon get the boost
    Plesiomon have 1 HP??
    Disarm Cry somehow status move
    Lavogaritamon evolve into itself starting at lv 45

Oversight:
    Darcmon & Valkyrimon Fairy typing shown as "Type" rather than "Fairy"
    Neptunemon not in Seafoam island, but Seasarmon instead
    in Celadon city it says M.Etemon instead of Veemon
    Datirimon pic icon is Datamon
    Seasarmon icon is Whiscash
    Pumpkinmon lose level after evolving
    Lilamon lose level after evolve
    Blossomon jump level after evolve
    ChaosDramon jump level after evolve
    Chibomon jump level after evolve
    Myotismon change gender after evolving
    Wizardmon change gender after evolve
    StrikeDramon change gender after evolve
    Milenniumon don't have ability, is this normal?
    Kleptomon from trade don't have ability

Document related:
    Herissmon evolve at 30 unlike 25 in Doc
    Filmon evolve at 45 not 40 unlike in Doc
    Rasenmon evolve at 60 not 55
    Meramon evolve at lv50 unlike lv 45 in doc
    Bakemon evolve at 35 not 30 unlike in Doc
    ExTyrannomon evolve at 40 not 30 unlike in Doc
    Tortomon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Golemon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Paildramon evolve as soon it gain level unlike in Doc
    Gwappamon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Etemon evolve at 40 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Gatomon evolve at 45 not 30 unlike in Doc
    Ophanimon evolve at 60 not 55
    Apemon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Wizardmon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    LadyDevimon evolve at 45 not 50 unlike in Doc
    StrikeDramon evolve at 50 not 45 unlike in Doc
    Kabukimon evolve at 45 not 50 unlike in Doc
    Coelamon evolve at 45 not 50 unlike in Doc, also pure Water not Water/Steel
    Puttimon evolve at 25 not 20 unlike in Doc
    Vorvomon evolve at 15 not 20
    Lavorvomon evolve at 30 not 35 unlike in Doc

also my personal wish is MegaSeadramon evolve into GigaSeadramon because it's my favourite Digimon, or at least MetalSeadramon just like in OG Adventure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2023
    Hey, I got the 3.0 patch but I cant get xiaomon and wargreymon/metalgarurumon to evolve. I leveled them all up to 100 and still nothing, idk what I'm doing wrong

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Alright, champion defeated, nuzlocke failed, most stuff done, here are the things I noted.

That is all thanks again for this awesome experience :D.

How can I ever thank you enough for the extensive playtesting! I seriously cannot thank you enough. I can't believe how many glitches slipped by me! I fixed everything you mentioned except for the rematches via the VS. Seeker. Reason being? I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to edit the teams for all the rematches. I'm sure I'll get to it at a later date.

I'm sorry you felt the difficulty was a little high. I should mention that this game was not designed with nuzlockers in mind. In fact I think I may put a disclaimer at the beginning of the game warning players not to attempt to nuzlocke it. I made Nova Red with the intention that players would have fun experimenting with different Digimon and filling in their Digidex. The whole nuzlocke thing locks you into using only your "first encounters" which I think kind of limits the fun.

I'll get around to editing the item pickups too. I did it for Emerald so it's only fair I do it for Nova Red too. :p Again, thanks for playing!

OK, just beat the E4. Some bug I noticed:

also my personal wish is MegaSeadramon evolve into GigaSeadramon because it's my favourite Digimon, or at least MetalSeadramon just like in OG Adventure.

Another amazing playtester! This must be my lucky day. Thank you so much for documenting all the bugs you found. It really helps me out a lot! Do you know where I can find a good sprite of Giga Seadramon?

Hey, I got the 3.0 patch but I cant get xiaomon and wargreymon/metalgarurumon to evolve. I leveled them all up to 100 and still nothing, idk what I'm doing wrong

Sorry about that. Fixed now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    How can I ever thank you enough for the extensive playtesting! I seriously cannot thank you enough. I can't believe how many glitches slipped by me! I fixed everything you mentioned except for the rematches via the VS. Seeker. Reason being? I'm feeling too lazy at the moment to edit the teams for all the rematches. I'm sure I'll get to it at a later date.

I'm sorry you felt the difficulty was a little high. I should mention that this game was not designed with nuzlockers in mind. In fact I think I may put a disclaimer at the beginning of the game warning players not to attempt to nuzlocke it. I made Nova Red with the intention that players would have fun experimenting with different Digimon and filling in their Digidex. The whole nuzlocke thing locks you into using only your "first encounters" which I think kind of limits the fun.

I'll get around to editing the item pickups too. I did it for Emerald so it's only fair I do it for Nova Red too. :p Again, thanks for playing!

If I get to keep having this much fun, I'm already being payed for my job XP.
    I should clarify, it's not that the game feels to hard because I was nuzlocking, the things I pointed out I was looking at outside of my self imposed challenge, like brock, I just overleveled and got past him but it was long and tedious because of low exp yields and crazy coverage on the kudamon, but it still was just a trainer in a sea of them.
    When I said some digimon give too little exp, I mean, some of them give one less digit than most others in the same route. This also makes a bit harder to experiment with many mons since exp tends to be tighter then, say, emerald project.
    The vs seeker thing was just a heads up, as I said not really too much of a problem, even in nuzloke it didn't pose much of any, mostly just funny and surprising (some sub their megas for in trainings, which is hilarious, and probably happens because of the pointers XD).

If you don't feel like adding a lot of pick ups you could always dump a lot of items in the slot rewards, just a though.

I add a vote for giga seadramon, I love it to bits, but I have no idea of what kind of sprite I should look for to send you.

I'll ask again, any plans for the sevii islands? Will they stay closed?

I'll wait patiently for the fixed version so I can renuzlocke it and this time complete the digipedia (by the way, when you answer fixed to some one, is it fixed in the patch in the first page or the next version?).

As always, great work on everything, remember you're just one guy, bugs and glitches are bound to slip by :).

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    If I get to keep having this much fun, I'm already being payed for my job XP.
    I should clarify, it's not that the game feels to hard because I was nuzlocking, the things I pointed out I was looking at outside of my self imposed challenge, like brock, I just overleveled and got past him but it was long and tedious because of low exp yields and crazy coverage on the kudamon, but it still was just a trainer in a sea of them.
    When I said some digimon give too little exp, I mean, some of them give one less digit than most others in the same route. This also makes a bit harder to experiment with many mons since exp tends to be tighter then, say, emerald project.
    The vs seeker thing was just a heads up, as I said not really too much of a problem, even in nuzloke it didn't pose much of any, mostly just funny and surprising (some sub their megas for in trainings, which is hilarious, and probably happens because of the pointers XD).

If you don't feel like adding a lot of pick ups you could always dump a lot of items in the slot rewards, just a though.

I add a vote for giga seadramon, I love it to bits, but I have no idea of what kind of sprite I should look for to send you.

I'll ask again, any plans for the sevii islands? Will they stay closed?

I'll wait patiently for the fixed version so I can renuzlocke it and this time complete the digipedia (by the way, when you answer fixed to some one, is it fixed in the patch in the first page or the next version?).

As always, great work on everything, remember you're just one guy, bugs and glitches are bound to slip by :).

Thank you for the continued support! Meeting satisfied players makes it all worthwhile. :)

The difficulty of Brock and the other gym leaders is to incentivize players to diversify their strategies. In most of the mainstream Pokemon games you pretty much win every battle as long as you know the Type chart. I think that makes Pokemon games a little stale so in Nova Red I quite literally force the player to try harder.

I've deleted the Cool Trainer that gives the player the VS Seeker. At some point in the future I may bring her back when I feel like editing all the rematches.

I find the Sevii Islands stuff to be tedious and boring. I've blocked access to them so the player doesn't go wasting his time wandering around.

When I say "fixed," I mean the download link on the front page is updated with a new patch. This patch must be applied to a clean Fire Red rom. But you can still load your old save files so long as you make sure the filenames are the same.

Right now I'm working on changing the item pickups. I'll be finished in a day or two. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Got it, I'll wait for the pickups changes before starting my second run then, also, I'll hack in a vs seeker because nuzlocking would be a chore otherwise (I make AND solve my own problems :) ) and unlimited rare candies during the whole game would feel like cheating XD. Take your time.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I Love this Rom hack I'm almost to the Elite 4 but I was wondering could you put Gammamon's other evolutions in the game: Betel Gammamon could use a Red Digi-egg, Gulus Gammamon could use the Black Digi-egg, Kaus Gammamon could use the Blue Digi-egg, Wezen Gammamon could use the Green Digi-egg, and could you put Jellymon & Angoramon evolutions in the game from Rookie to Ultimate. If you can please and I have some sprites I think you can use and the sprites for Jellymon & Angoramon evolutions are in order from Rookie, Champion, Ultimate.

Actually I have a folder of sprites for a Gen II hack and these would fit right in! Unfortunately they don't match the quality of a Gen III hack like Nova Red.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Alright good because I love Gen 2 It's my favorite Gen!!!, so are you going to use just Vital Bracelet sprites for the game?, and who are the starters going to be?, And what Gen 2 rom are you using as a base? I know if I could rom hack I would have The Digimon Tamers Digimon as the Starters for Johto and The Ghost Game Digimon including Espimon as the Kanto Starters and maybe Gammamon could be the Eevee and Crystal as the rom base.

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Alright good because I love Gen 2 It's my favorite Gen!!!, so are you going to use just Vital Bracelet sprites for the game?, and who are the starters going to be?, And what Gen 2 rom are you using as a base? I know if I could rom hack I would have The Digimon Tamers Digimon as the Starters for Johto and The Ghost Game Digimon including Espimon as the Kanto Starters and maybe Gammamon could be the Eevee and Crystal as the rom base.

Haha slowww down there cowboy.

If I were to make a Gen II hack it would probably use Crystal. The problem is that there exists no convenient tool online for modifying Pokemon sprites and Pokedex entries. The reason being, once Gen II hacking reached that stage in development everyone starting using a disassembly tool called Pokecrystal. The problem is I am not smart enough to figure out dissassemblies at ALL. So a Gen II hack coming to fruition is a big maybe at this point.

If it ever happened I'd probably keep the same starters, just because the starters need to be a Fire-Water-Grass triangle.

Back