• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Days
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    Made an account literally just to ask you some questions and leave feedback, leaving it on this thread since this is the most recent one I've played. Is it normal that all your rom hacks are incredibly slow? Not like, performance wise, but like, gameplay/design/pacing wise.

The Digimon TCG hack regularly has 3-5 energy costs to do anything more than 10 damage and most mons seem to have more than 50 HP which means many turns are sitting there attaching an energy and doing nothing until you hit that point, and because of the varied energy costs of attacks, the enemy tends to just attach energy then pass cause they constantly attach the wrong energy types. Then when you finally get your 3-5 energy, it's still 2-3 turns to KO anything, so you're looking at a 4 prize game being a total of like 10-16 turns, which is just incredibly tedious. I can only imagine how long 6 prize games vs the bosses are. Being forced to include 24-30 energies in a deck to make sure you have enough of each type for the varied attacks without waiting multiple turns without an attachment is not fun and heavily limits deckbuilding. I feel like the game would be much better by either reducing energy costs overall, reducing health overall, or increasing damage overall. It's fine to have 3-5 turns of set up, but once set up, you should be one shotting everything to end the game, as that's still 6-8 turns for a 4 prize game. That or make it so that it takes 2-3 turns to KO something, but you can set up in 1-2 turns so that you're looking at 8-13 turns for a 4 prize game, which is personally still slow for my tastes but much better than the current system. It doesn't have to be set up and KO on turn 1 like current pokemon TCG, but the original GB game is much slower than current Pokemon TCG and even that is like, twice if not three times as fast as this rom hack.

Digimon Crystal is so mind-numbingly slow I had to quit playing it, since I could get my Digimon to lvl 30 and they STILL wouldn't have any good moves other than if they are lucky enough to learn TM moves, of which there are very few and with very little coverage early on. The best way to level without going past the Ghost Gym is to spam headbutt on trees for lvl 20 wild digimon fights, and that's still incredibly slow to reach 30. Seriously, Digimon should not have to reach level 30 to get their first STAB move, and have it be a move that's equivalent to like, Tackle but in their type. Like, why are even wild fights against sleeping mons that are lower level than you taking over 4 turns to finish if you don't have a STAB supereffective move, which most Digimon won't have? MetalKoromon doesn't get a STAB move until 15 when it evolves into Kokuwamon, where it learns Metal Claw, which is just Steel type Tackle, a move you start the game with. It doesn't learn an Electric type STAB move until 20 when it learns Thundershock, which is again, just Electric type Tackle. Even at 30, when it evolves into Andromon, it only just learns Spark since Thundershock, and Thunderpunch has long since been available at the Goldenrod store and is better than Spark. Why is Greymon still using Ember at lvl 30? Why does Dark Tyrannomon not have any STAB moves by lvl 24?

Starting Digimon Nova Red and the first route's most common mon to find by a large margin is Bombmon who just self destructs so if you want to level off of him you need to run back to the pokemon center after every fight or two? How could you have thought that was a good idea? Then Route 22 has Kuramon that lowers accuracy and poisons you, so the fight takes forever thanks to misses and forces you to go back just like fighting Bombmon, or it gives Poyomon, who transforms into you so the fight also still takes forever thanks to resistance to your STAB moves. Like, I see in the doc of all the digimon that Punimon becomes Chaosdramon, one of my favourites, so I figured I'd raise it but I need to split XP with my starter to get it any XP at all. At the start of the game. That's awful and making me want to quit outright, and I haven't even gotten past Viridian City. On top of that, for both Crystal and Nova Red, it feels like many, if not all, of the Digimon are on the slower XP profiles, where they need more to level up than the equivalent Pokemon on those routes/areas did, which only makes things even slower than they already are.

From reading through the threads of this and Crystal your reply to leveling being incredibly slow is "well, you're expected to be underleveled to the gyms for the challenge". That's just a "feels bad" way of making the game harder, especially since you're already buffing the gyms by giving them stronger BST Digimon and more coverage options in their movesets. Like, did you need to double dip that makes the games feel like giant slogs? What makes it so much worse is that the rest of the games discussed, as far as I can tell, are great. Good sprite work for a fan project, no obvious bugs, stable, runs smoothly on emulators both on PC and on mobile. Cheats don't seem to work, which is a shame cause that would sort of solve the slog to just have infinite rare candies to skip any of the ultra slow grinding.

If a player wants to challenge gyms while underleveled, they can do that even in the original Pokemon games. For players that want to challenge at equivalent levels, or even just level up their Digimon so that they aren't using Fresh/In-Training/Child anymore, it shouldn't take them 20+ hours to grind out to that point, then repeat that grind between each gym. I think forcing players to slow down to a snail's pace isn't good game design. It shouldn't take me 6 hours in Crystal to level up two Child level mons from 20 to 30 to get their Adult stages in the first place, and then their best move is still the Headbutt TM on top of that. Like, if we're assuming a curve of "starting with a mix of Fresh/In-Training, and ending with fighting the Elite Four with Ultimates" then knowing Pokemon's level curve, once you're hitting the mid-game you should have Adults on your team and starting to work on them going up to Perfect, not Rookies going up to Adults.

I feel like the rom hacks would be massively improved if the pacing of them were adjusted. You as a player can always slow down the pacing as long as forced XP share isn't on, but you can never speed it up without cheats. Other suggestions I think would improve Crystal at least, is having more than one digimon on some of the routes, and making use of the day/night cycle to change what digimon appear on the route. I haven't peeked into the code to see if I'm mistaken, but there's at least 3 routes/areas I can think of that have what seems to be literally a single Digimon in their encounter table not counting headbutting or fishing. I've also never noticed the encounter tables changing with Day/Night cycles either. For Nova Red, I think Self Destruct should be removed and replaced from Bombmon and Smokescreen should be removed from Kuramon, at the very least. Or even make it so Bombmon is much rarer than Curimon and Punimon, which would allow players to level their newly acquired Digimon without battles taking 6+ turns and needing to stop to visit the Pokemon center after each one. For both games, moves should be strengthed a bit, or defenses toned down, so neutral, non-Super Effective battles don't take 5-6 turns per mon, especially in Crystal around the 20s with mons still being forced to use Tackle or equivalent if they can't learn Headbutt/the elemental punches.

And all this is coming from someone who typically plays competitive pokemon exclusively in 1v1, 6 pokemon formats (much slower than VGC's 2v2, 4 pokemon format), and plays stall teams regularly, where individual battles can easily go an hour+, and even I think this pacing is way too slow.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Is it normal that all your rom hacks are incredibly slow?
    Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]
    Now that I think of it, I always play Pokemon (either rom hacks or otherwise) on mute with 2x emulation speed, or even 4x in some cases. I thought everyone did that tbh.

Days
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    View attachment 155032
    Now that I think of it, I always play Pokemon (either rom hacks or otherwise) on mute with 2x emulation speed, or even 4x in some cases. I thought everyone did that tbh.
    Why intentionally design a game to be played sped up? Wouldn't it be better to just design the game with faster pacing and not speed it up? I find playing sped up makes movement frustrating as I tend to overshoot doorways and things like that when doing it. I do play the TCG game at 2x speed though.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Why intentionally design a game to be played sped up? Wouldn't it be better to just design the game with faster pacing and not speed it up? I find playing sped up makes movement frustrating as I tend to overshoot doorways and things like that when doing it. I do play the TCG game at 2x speed though.
    That's just kinda the reality of the Pokemon engine, if I'm being honest. Whether it's gen 1, 2, 3, and especially 4, most streamers online will speed up the emulation when playing Pokemon. I'm impressed that you don't use any speedup when playing other Pokemon games.
    In any case, thanks for the feedback and I'll keep the pacing issues in mind if I do any future updates to Emerald, Nova Red, or Crystal.

Days
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    That's just kinda the reality of the Pokemon engine, if I'm being honest. Whether it's gen 1, 2, 3, and especially 4, most streamers online will speed up the emulation when playing Pokemon. I'm impressed that you don't use any speedup when playing other Pokemon games.
    In any case, thanks for the feedback and I'll keep the pacing issues in mind if I do any future updates to Emerald, Nova Red, or Crystal.
    Yeah, which is why I started with specifying I'm not talking about performance. Like, I'm not talking about it being slow because of all the screen transitions and having UI elements move across the screen when a battle starts or HP bar wait times in Gen 4 and other things like that. I'm purely talking from a "compared to the original games, how long does it take to get a team of digimon to a comparable level that your team of pokemon would be at this point in the game" perspective. For example, if you're challenging Brock in Fire Red vs Nova Red, how long does it take to get 3 Pokemon to say, lvl 14 in Fire Red (the level of his ace, Onix) vs how long does it take to get 3 Digimon to lvl 14 in Nova Red, and Nova Red is like, over double the length of time, and this problem only gets worse as you get deeper into the games and add more Digimon to your team. This is caused by, I feel, a combination of the following:

1) Digimon seem to have higher base defenses/HP than Pokemon in the equivalent areas/levels, leading to battles taking longer when using neutral hits
    2) Digimon seem to have slower level curves than Pokemon in equivalent areas/levels, leading to more battles required per level
    3) Digimon prior to lvl 30 or so seem to learn less attacking moves and weaker attacking moves than Pokemon in equivalent areas/levels

I continued a little further, up to about halfway through the game, and what I've noticed is that if you only use your Starter and nothing else, yeah, trainers alone is enough XP to catch up and overlevel even the boosted gyms, but it's nowhere near enough for a full team of 6 to get to where they "should" be for the old Fire Red levels, let alone the boosted ones.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    What I'm seeing here, from your declarations and observations, Frostfire, is that Pokemon as a game has something of a balance to its feel and pacing that you are of the opinion is easily tipped too far in either direction when it comes to altering stats, moves, and evolutionary stages.

I will agree that it does feel odd having an Agumon, or similar staged 'Mon, not evolving into their "Champion/Adult" stage until like level 30. It is weird, and I agree they could stand to evolve more akin to Bug type Pokemon in that they shoot up fast but plateau for long stretches before hitting the next milestone.

As for movesets and stats, I can see where you're coming from in regards to the seeming issues, but disagree in your assessment. I personally found the movesets, especially in Emerald, fitting for the 'Mons. Most Digimon in the baby or child stages have a couple of moves they do and that's it. So the limited movesets early on make sense to me. As for stats, I personally didn't find fights outside of 'Mons that resisted my moves to drag on. This may be because I kept a balanced moveset on my Agumon in each game, or because I kept a close eye on likely typings and used Super Effective and STAB moves as much as I could, but fights felt fluid.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Enjoying the game so far. On my second play through already. My first one was a run with mainly just Patamon when I was finally able to acquire one in the early half of the game then ditched everybody else for it and never evolved it.
    Although I have one problem on my second run.
    I do love water types in Pokemon and they're my favorite typing but I dislike Marine Digimon so I've no one in my team that can learn surf. Lmao
    Luckily there's not much bodies of water in Kanto so I can just swap someone out when needed.
    Closest thing I've done in digimon games that involves water is Angewomon using Divine Rain and Rosemon using Grand Wave.
    Also the lack of Exp. share is really felt sometimes when I wanted to replace someone on my team with a digimon that's considerably lower level. I am playing on a flash cart and gba so I can't really speed things up. Maybe if someone really wants to not use Exp.share, they could just put it on their PC. Lack of VS seeker is understandable though. Though I can't EV train off from some specific trainers, then again, i don't even know if the EV yields are similar so I gave up on the idea and just kept trying and swapping different digimons and enjoyed it.

Edit: Any Digimon with pickup ability in game? I really wanted Hidden Power to add a coverage move if I got lucky with the typing. Iirc, hidden power is only available in FR/LG through pickup and the base ROM is FR so I assume it'll be similar.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm planning on trying this game out because I'm also a die hard Digimon fan. More so than pokemon. Just a quick question. From what I've see on on the digi dex from my research it takes some time to get the other starters. So may I ask your opinions on which starter I should choose. I'm partial to both tanemon and Koromon. But I'm having trouble choosing between them. Can someone give their opinion on those two please.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I'm planning on trying this game out because I'm also a die hard Digimon fan. More so than pokemon. Just a quick question. From what I've see on on the digi dex from my research it takes some time to get the other starters. So may I ask your opinions on which starter I should choose. I'm partial to both tanemon and Koromon. But I'm having trouble choosing between them. Can someone give their opinion on those two please.
    All three rookies could probably solo this game but imo picking Tanemon takes care of the first 3 gyms with less grind. Though the bug catchers will give you trouble early on. Koromon has better learnset pre-lvl 30 imo for shitting on fodder trainers when moving to a new area. Tanemon's move set is great too but it's more of a stalling moveset pre-lvl 30. And it learns sleep powder to help with catching.
    I tried Tanemon before on my first playthrough and I still shit on my rival despite the type disadvantage because of sleep powder, Attract(you get the TM for this early) and leech seed in early game. It's very slow though. I replaced it with Tokomon eventually and did a Patamon only run til the end because it's my favorite digimon.
    Also getting a Kuramon and making it learn screech helps alot in early game.
    On my second playthrough, I decide to play the normal way and picked Koromon.
    IMO they're pretty equal even if Tanemon will have fairy typing later.
    After completing it once, the water starter is probably the best for the whole game but gym 2-3-4 might be troublesome if you don't have your weaknesses covered by your team. I used rare candy codes just to check it's full learnset and hm/TM codes to see what it can learn and I must say it has better coverage than the other two starters.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I tried to make it as balanced as humanly possible. My personal bias is to go with Bukamon because the eventual Water-Electric typing is insanely strong. Koromon might be slightly worse off because WarGreymon is Fire-Steel and a lot of your late-game opponents will be packing Earthquake. Tanemon would sit comfortable in the middle. But even with all that said, all three starters are pretty damn close to being equal.

Enjoying the game so far. On my second play through already. My first one was a run with mainly just Patamon when I was finally able to acquire one in the early half of the game then ditched everybody else for it and never evolved it.
    Although I have one problem on my second run.
    I do love water types in Pokemon and they're my favorite typing but I dislike Marine Digimon so I've no one in my team that can learn surf. Lmao
    Luckily there's not much bodies of water in Kanto so I can just swap someone out when needed.
    Closest thing I've done in digimon games that involves water is Angewomon using Divine Rain and Rosemon using Grand Wave.
    Also the lack of Exp. share is really felt sometimes when I wanted to replace someone on my team with a digimon that's considerably lower level. I am playing on a flash cart and gba so I can't really speed things up. Maybe if someone really wants to not use Exp.share, they could just put it on their PC. Lack of VS seeker is understandable though. Though I can't EV train off from some specific trainers, then again, i don't even know if the EV yields are similar so I gave up on the idea and just kept trying and swapping different digimons and enjoyed it.

Edit: Any Digimon with pickup ability in game? I really wanted Hidden Power to add a coverage move if I got lucky with the typing. Iirc, hidden power is only available in FR/LG through pickup and the base ROM is FR so I assume it'll be similar.
    No pickup iirc, sorry.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    No pickup iirc, sorry.
    Alright, good to know. I'll make do with what's available then. Also apparently I found an Exp.Share. l was led to believe it was removed. 😀 but it's too late when I found the aide that hands it over. Already finished my second run and was just checking out what I missed and leveling every Ice types and ground types in the game and deciding whether I'd go sand or hail team next run.
    And why is there a mega ring? I never noticed it in my first play through. It was given along with the Poke Flute.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    So I picked tanemon. And I've managed to get 2 gym badges so far. I'm trying to make a team of my favorite female Digimon. I'm trying to find and catch viximon for my fire type for this reason. And catch the digi that evolves into AncientMermaimon for my water type. I've already caught nyaromon. I Read that you can catch moonmon in mount moon but couldn't find one. I'll be heading back there after I get cut and can use it. I also want to get lotusmon. But I don't know which digi evolves into it. My current team is currently Palmon, Salamon, wormmon, Chapman, and the pre digivolved form of herrismon. Palmon is level 23 and the other 3 rookies are level 20. My in training digi aiden is newly caught and is level 12. And yes I've nicknamed my Digimon. Chapman is a rookie Digimon right? I think Salamon's mega stage is ophanimon if I remember correctly. And no I have never played this game before. Just going off of my knowledge of other games and the anime. Before I get viximon I'm going to get yokomon to add to the digidex. Also amazing game loving it so far. Also love the Digimon art too. Hopefully I can catch moonmon the in training form of lunamon at mount moon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I finally found TM10. I missed it when I was just rushing to get gold teeth and surf. It was in Safari Zone all this time.
    But it's somewhat bugged.
    When I tested it multiple times on a Shellmon with very high defense and dogshit special defense, apparently it turns out that the P/S split did not affect it though it has the Special icon. Oddly enough, even if it's dealing Physical damage, Sword Dance/Bulk Up doesn't affect it at all. But Nasty Plot and calm mind does.
    I found out when I was leveling a Lunamon and there's this one swimmer that I didn't fight prior to finishing E4 then I used HP fighting and dealt almost no damage despite being super effective. Then I used Flash that has lower Base power and the thing died and not even a crit. I didn't save so I can try multiple times.
    My Lillithmon has HP Electric and taught it Acid using Move Reminder and it didn't kill only a little above 1/4 damage using HP Electric. Then I reset and tried Acid and Shellmon died despite not being super effective.
    My Beastmon also has HP electric and barely dealt damage, but when I used Flash, Shellmon almost died.
    My Infermon has HP dragon, when I tested it on Shellmon, I did like 1/16 damage but when I used Shadow Ball, I did 3/4 damage. Only 20BP difference and the the damage disparity is absurd.
    The the next digimon is Gwappamon, this time I tested on the Gwappamon.
    HP dragon did close to 1/4 damage, then Shadow Ball did 1/4 damage. Now that one makes sense.
    Now I am not sure if it's Shellmon or tm10 that's actually bugged though.

Edit: Same thing is happening against Seadramon. Might be the Pichimon line that's bugged but idk.
    Also found trainers with S.Starmon and Mermaimon. Those two aren't receiving buggy damage from Hidden Power. So it's 2/4. I won't test anymore on the last one, MarineDevimons.
    It's very minor so I'll just carry on. Lmao
    Found another bug: Starmon at route 21 even with 1HP and asleep is uncatchable without using a master ball. So just use a gold digi-egg instead on a Chapmon if you're planning to raise one.

Edit2: and Another bug. Moonblast freezes the game. Idk if turning off battle animations can bypass this. No more trainers to try against.
    D.Tyranomon in Victory Road doesn't seem to be catchable with Digimon/Great/Ultra Ball. And lastly,
    there is actually someone with Pick Up ability. It's Mamemon. Though I got TM10 now so don't need multiple Mamemons anymore.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    So I picked tanemon. And I've managed to get 2 gym badges so far. I'm trying to make a team of my favorite female Digimon. I'm trying to find and catch viximon for my fire type for this reason. And catch the digi that evolves into AncientMermaimon for my water type. I've already caught nyaromon. I Read that you can catch moonmon in mount moon but couldn't find one. I'll be heading back there after I get cut and can use it. I also want to get lotusmon. But I don't know which digi evolves into it. My current team is currently Palmon, Salamon, wormmon, Chapman, and the pre digivolved form of herrismon. Palmon is level 23 and the other 3 rookies are level 20. My in training digi aiden is newly caught and is level 12. And yes I've nicknamed my Digimon. Chapman is a rookie Digimon right? I think Salamon's mega stage is ophanimon if I remember correctly. And no I have never played this game before. Just going off of my knowledge of other games and the anime. Before I get viximon I'm going to get yokomon to add to the digidex. Also amazing game loving it so far. Also love the Digimon art too. Hopefully I can catch moonmon the in training form of lunamon at mount moon.
    Spoiler: Minor spoiler

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh ty so much I'm very glad for this info. question where do I get more money in game when I need it. I know we don't have vs. seeker anymore so. I also want to complete the digi dex.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    question where do I get more money in game when I need it.
    Aside from limited trainer battles , you can just sell items you don't need. I actually sold my rare candies early on because they cost 10k each. +Get the Amulet Coin asap. I believe that's the only option prior to the Pokemon League unfortunately.
    We get thief really early in this game but Wild Digimons doesn't seem to have held items so can't keep stealing and selling til you're rich.
    Walking around with alot of Mamemons might work abit since they have the ability Pick Up and just sell the stuff they acquire.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    Not sure if this was a bug.
    Gaossmon has Huge Power but upon evolution, it changes depending on the evolution you picked always tough claws or moxie. But the Dex entry of DarkTyrannomon and Tyrannomon has Huge Power so I tried catching a Tyrannomon and it has Huge Power and ChaosDramon also gets to keep Huge Power luckily.
    Unfortunately D.Tyrannomon really doesn't seem to be catchable with normal balls and I can't get to make MasterTyrannomon to appear at Mt. Ember so what I did was just use my Master Ball on a D.Tyrannomon at Victory Road. First try has Adamant Nature but has Moxie unfortunately. I kept resetting till I get an Adamant/Lonely/Jolly/Hasty nature with Huge Power but I gave up. Best I got was Impish with Huge Power. And luckily, M.Tyrannomon also gets to keep Huge Power as well and not lose it upon evolution. Now I have a Digimon that hits harder than Mega Mawile without Sword Dance back in the day. 😂 I EV trained it as well of course. RIP master ball though. But it kinda fits because it's "Master" Tyrannomon. His levelup learnset sucks compared to Chaosdramon as only Sucker Punch and Crunch are useable and maybe Snarl for support and Overheat for some bugs that have high def but bad Special Def. Also it's weird that it can learn Overheat via leveling up but can not learn it with TM50.

Last edited:
    Back