• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    You can branching digimon evoltions since the digimon evoltions lines are not liner but more like of three since they can evolve to multiple digimon can you add pulsemon s line its actualy very similar to pikachu as its sort of mascot and realted to electric and energy i think its line in game would be its in training form pulsemon bulkmon boutmon and kazucimon from bulkmon and above it could an electric fighting in pokemon standrats

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    How would you suggest multiple evolution lines? Like one is by level up, one by stone, and one via happiness?

Bulkmon was originally planned to be the sit-in for Electabuzz, but no quality Bulkmon sprite exists online.

Battle Trainer 1823

The hack looks really good, keep up the good job! :D

If I may suggest, how about starting the lines with Rookie > Champion > Ultimate > Mega?

Something like: Agumon > Greymon (Lv. 16 if ATK > DEF) > MetalGreymon (Lv. 36) > WarGreymon (Lv. 56) > Omegamon (using DNA Splicers with MetalGarurumon).

GeoGreymon (Lv. 16 if ATK < DEF) > RizeGreymon (Lv. 36) > ShineGreymon (Lv. 56) > ShineGreymon Burst Mode (Shiny Stone).

ShineGreymon Ruin Mode (Dusk Stone).

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi EmiyaShirou525,

Thanks for your feedback and also the positive encouragement!

Yes, I noticed some of the previous Digimon Romhacks out there were more Mega-focused. But to be honest, something about Greymon being a stand-in for Charmeleon instead of Charizard just never felt right with me.

This would also set a dangerous precedent that would basically turn the game into a Mega-fest. I feel like this is a problem because Digimon designs start to really go off the wayside past Champion. Also Ultimates and Megas tend to either be so huge or so detailed that I couldn't possibly fit most of them into a 64x64 pixel box.

For example, this is what Machinedramon is supposed to look like:

RaH4AcN.png

And here's my adorable squished-down version:

66tHcEl.png

Long story short, I want an Ultimate sighting to make the player say "whoa," and I want a Mega to be so astonishing it makes the player say "wow!" If the game is loaded up with God-tiers all the way through I feel they tend to lose their impact.

If I could get some feedback, how do you feel about Digimon having more branching evolutionary lines? For example, what if Armadillomon had four potential forms: Anklyomon (through level-up), Submarimon (water stone), Drillmon (some other stone), and Shakkoumon (some other stone)? I kind of like the idea of having way more flexibility with the Typings of your team, but I'm not sure if it would be too overwhelming for players.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I think branching just makes more sense in digimon

Like an item for the armored evos for example?

Lots of potential!

Battle Trainer 1823

It's true o_o Those Ultimate/Mega mons are quite difficult to ask u_u

That idea about branching is awesome, how about this?

— Armadillomon > Ankylomon (Lv. 16) > Shakkoumon (Lv. 36).
    — Armadillomon > Submarimon (Water Stone).
    — Armadillomon > Digmon (Sun Stone).

— Hawkmon > Aquilamon (Lv. 16) > Silphymon (Lv. 36).
    — Hawkmon > Shurimon (Leaf Stone).
    — Hawkmon > Halsemon (Moon Stone).

Saw that Tanemon is an starter, so how about this?
    — Tanemon > Palmon (Lv. 8) > Togemon (Lv. 17) > Ponchomon (Lv. 36 if Male).
    — Tanemon > Palmon (Lv. 8) > Togemon (Lv. 17) > Lillymon (Lv. 36 if Female).

Keep up the good job! :D

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Not a bad idea! Whether or not a Digimon can make it into the hack ultimately depends on whether or not a quality sprite of it exists online. Unless it is an in-training or a rookie, it always requires sprite work to make sure it can fit the parameters. This usually means shortening limbs, playing with perspective so that much of the sprite is hidden behind a fist or something, etc.
    For example, original Golemon and GrapLeomon vs my edits:

FJkrMV3.png

7iJpPJ6.png

cnhP6HK.png

diJvIwq.png

Unfortunately this means that some Digimon are just way too hard to fit into the 64x64 box. For example, by virtue of Togemon's design (short limbs, big body), it's almost impossible to rework the sprite to fit the parameters unless you're some sort of master sprite artist (which I, unfortunately, am not lol. Competent, sure. But no master). Incidentally this is why in the current hack Tanemon evolves into Palmon which eventually evolves into Ponchomon, instead of Togemon.

That said I think I can add in some more Ultimates and Megas for the hardcore fans, but they will be almost non-present during a normal runthrough of the game. Ideally, I wouldn't want an Ultimate to appear until late game and Megas until the end of the run (with some rare exceptions).

I like the idea of having way more evolutionary stones ("Digi Eggs of Courage/Knowlege/Love/Etc.") scattered about the game for more branching evolutionary paths. It would be amazing if one day I got good enough at hacking to have eight different starters (one for each DigiDestined), but let's not get ahead of ourselves haha

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Very creative! Actually DeviantArt has saved my ass a few times when trying to find a sprite for an obscure Digimon. There's some talented artists on there.

Oh, speaking of sprites, I've listened to some of you guys' feedback and I'm going ahead with a Version 2.0. That means more Ultimates, Megas, and branching evolutionary paths. Here's a quick rundown I threw together on Paint as an example.

bVHJ6dr.png

(Imgur compressed the image but you get the idea)

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Hello!

Love the hack!

Quick question, Why does Lady Devimon start evolving at 26 but stop with the message "oh?"

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hello. This such an amazing hack! I love the effort you put on making some Digimons unique and not just sprite replacement. I skimmed through the thread, and I noticed that you have plans for a next version. I have a suggestion.

Digimon has lots of evolution stages, but one of the game I played, Digimon World Data Squad on PS2, remove two stages and start them on Rookie stage e.g. Agumon and Renamon. So, if four to five stage evolution line is too much for you, maybe sticking to the usual three evolution like Pokémon might be okay for example Agumon-GeoGreymon-RiseGreymon (and ShineGreymon for last evo or mega). Agumon might be larger than usual Pokémon starters, but looking at Pokémon size vs Digimon size, imo Agumon is reasonable enough to be a starter.

There are many interesting evolution in DWDS, please check them out! Thank you for making this hack.

Btw, I have a question. Is Fairy moves type considered as physical or special moves?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Hello!

Love the hack!

Quick question, Why does Lady Devimon start evolving at 26 but stop with the message "oh?"

I think you need to get the National Pokedex first. If I remember correctly, LadyDevimon supposed to be Golbat, so Crobat is not available until National Pokedex is unlocked.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi jstan157,
    Eli Jang is correct. You need the National Dex for LadyDevimon to evolve... for now. I'm working on Version 2.0 now and it gives you the National Dex from the start.

Hi Eli Jang,
    Thanks for your feedback! Version 2.0 of this hack is going along swimmingly, and it will address most of the shortcomings you mentioned.

Version Two has a new cast of completely unique Digimon, built from the ground up with stats and move pools I made from scratch. Prominent Digimon have five forms total (for example: Tokomon - Patamon - Angemon - MagnaAngemon - Seraphimon). I also went balls to the wall with branching evolutionary paths.

In Version 1.0 there are only four Fairy Moves. Fairy Wind, Drain Kiss, and Moonblast are Special and Play Rough is physical. Version 2.0 will also have the familiar physical/special split with icons that we're used to.

I'll have Version 2.0 finished and ready to go in about two to three weeks at the most! Stay tuned!

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2021
    Really enjoying the hack have only made it past gym 3 but have two things

1) Why does gummymon evolve to monzaemon instead of terriermon?

2) Is there a guide somewhere for evolutions of all the digimon?

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2022
    Hi @Guzeinbuick

I have explored the possibility of a Digimon ROM hack for a while a couple of weeks ago, I believe I have notes with ideas and some folders with resources (I think already converted to 64x64 in GBA mode). Do you want to connect? I can pass it down to you :)

If yes, please reach out here in private or through Discord Tiago L.#1417

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2021
    Is Veemon to his Umbreon evolution still the same? Happiness at night? Also Pandamon is a nightmare, is he possible to catch ive had him down so low in the red and sleeping and he just insta breaks out.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi TheExogenesis,

In Version 1 Veemon can evolve to ExVeemon (Umbreon) with a Dusk stone after obtaining the National Dex. Pandamon is literally just a sprite change from Snorlax, so there shouldn't be any changes to his catch rate.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2023
    Really enjoying this game the sprite is awesome the evolution is simple too but if i may give my opinion

maybe you can focusing on expanding the pokedex and the sprite before reworking things like storyline ,etc. for reference maybe you can use fire red with the 789 pokedex engine or something. thankyou and good luck

Back