• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
Years
    • Seen today
    Found him. Also finished the game. Super fun and just the right amount of challenging. Also, for a mon that digivolves into it's final form so quickly, Omekamon is a powerhouse.

Nice dude, sweet team. And thanks for the feedback (I was wondering how other people handled the difficulty spike at the E4). I know Sabrina's mons are all packing Signal Beam so I was curious how your Impmon/Beelzemon would hold up lol

Thanks for the heads up about Omekamon. He's supposed to be this Shuckle-esque figure with unbreakable defense but garbage attack stat. If you think he's too overpowered I can maybe nerf him a bit in a later update.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    You won't believe it but i never watched any of the digimon anime but i did play all there games on ps1.I still play dw3 from time to time but i found this hack early morning and i love it.I am no pro in pokemon games but i can hold my own somewhat.This rom just feels right.It's well done.I am still early in the game(studies ftl lol)But can be sure i will crunch some time into it at night.I will try the weirdst combination and see how it goes.I saw people finishing pokémon red with only 1 pokémon.I am not that brave yet.Remember run and fight another day rather than being dead 😁

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    I read about the Digitamamons, and went to the tower with thief. I've stolen three oval stones, but no lucky egg. Has than been changed?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    You won't believe it but i never watched any of the digimon anime but i did play all there games on ps1.I still play dw3 from time to time but i found this hack early morning and i love it.I am no pro in pokemon games but i can hold my own somewhat.This rom just feels right.It's well done.I am still early in the game(studies ftl lol)But can be sure i will crunch some time into it at night.I will try the weirdst combination and see how it goes.I saw people finishing pokémon red with only 1 pokémon.I am not that brave yet.Remember run and fight another day rather than being dead 😁

Thank you so much for the wholesome message! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Let me know what can be improved once you progress a bit further into the game.

I read about the Digitamamons, and went to the tower with thief. I've stolen three oval stones, but no lucky egg. Has than been changed?

Ha! You've got bad luck? I haven't changed anything. Fair warning though: another user was saying there was a problem with the Lucky Egg not giving any extra XP (I haven't had the time to check for myself, super busy these days), so maybe it's not worth it anyway.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    Thank you so much for the wholesome message! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Let me know what can be improved once you progress a bit further into the game.

Ha! You've got bad luck? I haven't changed anything. Fair warning though: another user was saying there was a problem with the Lucky Egg not giving any extra XP (I haven't had the time to check for myself, super busy these days), so maybe it's not worth it anyway.

Hi so I just double-checked it, it seems it does double the exp given but it's not said "gained boosted xxx EXP" as it normally does in vanilla games. If it doesn't work the old vs seeker is still a good way to grind

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2022
    I have a wee bit of a problem.How well does virualboy gba emulator work?I am at the first gym i went down the path to grind a few levels as i am little under level.Every time i move down vboy closes.I will try mgba and see if it works

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    hi may you give information about what is the update about? thankyou

Hi Vpwesley, please check the Change Log on the front page for information regarding all updates. :)

I have a wee bit of a problem.How well does virualboy gba emulator work?I am at the first gym i went down the path to grind a few levels as i am little under level.Every time i move down vboy closes.I will try mgba and see if it works

Hi PerreJG, I playtest on Visual Boy Advance and currently have not run into any problems. If you're playing on mobile, I know MyBoy and John GBA Lite are quite reliable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2023
    i mean in the change log it just v 2.2 and the description is most updated version.

i guess maybe its better if you put v 2.2 update in the title to prevent confusion. thankyou

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2024
    Just found this game, seems like it'll be really fun.

One question, just out of curiosity: do you think you might add any more Digimon to this hack, or is the dex about as locked in as it'll get? I saw that you already added 100 more Digimon between versions 1 and 2, so I perfectly understand if you're not gonna add more. (Honestly, I just wanna know if there's any hope of GranKuwagamon making it in, he's definitely my favorite Digimon.)

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Just found this game, seems like it'll be really fun.

One question, just out of curiosity: do you think you might add any more Digimon to this hack, or is the dex about as locked in as it'll get? I saw that you already added 100 more Digimon between versions 1 and 2, so I perfectly understand if you're not gonna add more. (Honestly, I just wanna know if there's any hope of GranKuwagamon making it in, he's definitely my favorite Digimon.)

Hi Serefin,

Thanks for your inquiry! In my wildest dreams, I'd say the perfect Digimon Rom Hack would have about 350 Digimon tops. Anything more than that might be a bit too many mons for one game.

As for adding in more:

It basically comes down to the availability of quality sprites online. Over the years there's been a few other Digimon rom hacks, but when they have a Champion, Ultimate, or Mega Digimon they literally just compress the image in MS Paint. My mission in making Nova Red was to have a Digimon game in which the sprites for all your favourite Digimon looked awesome (and even then, I can think of about 3 or 4 sprites in this game that I failed pretty hard at lol). If a Digimon cannot easily fit into a 64x64 box with 16 colours, then there's no realistic way to add it into the game without a lot of hard work.

GranKuwagamon is a good example. Awesome design, cool Digimon, but Jeeeeesus that sprite is huge. There's just no way I could fit it into the necessary parameters. To give you an idea, here's the only available MegaKabuterimon sprite online:

48528.png

Way too huge, right? It takes the better half of an evening to turn that into this:
    695Tb9l.png

Now that summer's over I just don't have the free time to hunch over my laptop spending literally hundreds of hours on sprite work. So most Megas, Ultimates, and even Champions are pretty much off the table. :S

That being said if there's any Digimon with front and side sprites ready to go, I'd be happy to add them in at a user's request. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2024
    Dang, that is a bit disappointing to hear, but I understand where you're coming from.

If we DID find a Digimon with usable sprites, though, how would we go about requesting they be added? Just posting here in the thread, or a private message?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Dang, that is a bit disappointing to hear, but I understand where you're coming from.

If we DID find a Digimon with usable sprites, though, how would we go about requesting they be added? Just posting here in the thread, or a private message?

Here in the thread is fine. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2021
    loving the definitely very creative idea of revamping vanilla fire red with digimons but can you NOT put difficulty spikes and level curves randomly? i might just be speaking for myself but this trend of trying to make the game harder by making the opponents 10 times more leveled than you'd expect and (consequently) making the game extremely grindy is just absolutely going to make it less enjoyable, PRIMARILY when the whole point of the hack is changing the entire dex even though the only proper documentation you have is which level they evolve and "hella strong XD" on the side of the digimons you like

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    loving the definitely very creative idea of revamping vanilla fire red with digimons but can you NOT put difficulty spikes and level curves randomly? i might just be speaking for myself but this trend of trying to make the game harder by making the opponents 10 times more leveled than you'd expect and (consequently) making the game extremely grindy is just absolutely going to make it less enjoyable, PRIMARILY when the whole point of the hack is changing the entire dex even though the only proper documentation you have is which level they evolve and "hella strong XD" on the side of the digimons you like

Hi Brimso, thanks for the feedback.

Are you avoiding the enemy trainers? Trainer battles should be all the EXP you need. I've playtested the game three times already from start to finish and at no point did I ever have to grind against wild mons. Only at the E4 did I find myself in a bit of a pickle, but even then it's quite manageable if you're willing to use items mid-battle.

The difficulty curve is not random. Earlier trainers have 2 levels added to their mons. Mid-game trainers have about 3 levels added, and late-game trainers have about four levels added. Actually by the fourth badge or so, I noticed the game was getting easier rather than harder. If anything, I may make the difficulty curve steeper in the next update.

True, Gym leaders have higher levels and better move pools, but they can still be beaten with a little strategy. They tend to have good coverage so just trying to exploit Type weaknesses won't work.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2024
    If anything, I may make the difficulty curve steeper in the next update.

Oh, I really hope you don't. Or if you do, make it an optional thing or something. I think the difficulty is just about perfect where it is now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2023
    Hi ! Do you know where I can find Puttimon ?

Trying to find it on every route but it seems i cant find it !

For now I really enjoy your game it's a great one !!

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2023
    I dont know if its done on purpose (and sorry for double posting) :
    But lunamon and dianamon have exactly the same BST and Ladydevilmon and lilithmon too ! And nohemon is uncatchable except with Masterball (with sleep 15% HP couldnt have one tick with an hyper ball)

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I dont know if its done on purpose (and sorry for double posting) :
    But lunamon and dianamon have exactly the same BST and Ladydevilmon and lilithmon too ! And nohemon is uncatchable except with Masterball (with sleep 15% HP couldnt have one tick with an hyper ball)

Hi DaCapo, thanks for the heads-up! Fixed now in the latest release. :)

Puttimon has a 2% chance of appearing in the Safari Zone.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2023
    Got some more bugs to report.
    Sucker punch works regardless of opponents move
    Silphymon in fuschia city surfing water
    M.Greymon can learn Hydro Cannon
    Lillymon tries to learn Sunny Day three times at lvl 57-58ish.
    I'll report again if I find anything else

Last edited:
    Back