• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Digimon Nova Red ver. 3.1 [COMPLETED] [UPDATED 8.12.2022]

Those of you who liked the game and want to see more, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Pokemon Emerald (Gen III)

Votes: 33 75.0%
  • A Digimon hack of Pokemon Gold (Gen II)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Quit hacking forever because you didn't include my boy Apollomon

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
Years
    • Seen today
    well, i appreciate the help you gave me with this information, but unfortunately i won't be able to put it into practice. I was playing on an outdated version of RUM, and I downloaded this newer version. but my emulator can't emulate this RUM, I tried to transform it into (gba) but I couldn't. I appreciate the work and effort in this RUM, but I won't be able to play it, right here I say goodbye

If you're looking for emulators, I recommend VisualBoyAdvance (VBA). If you're playing on your phone, you can download John GBA Lite. Either way thanks for giving it a shot. :)

trdtrl

clear throat
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2024
    i've just finished the game recently and it is quite good honestly. i really love the sprites that is for sure, at the first time i was kind of skeptical about side sprites instead of back sprites, but man side sprites are actually much more better.
    elite four was hard, i really didn't expect that, especially lance with fairy type mon lmao

my team was : wargreymon, dianamon, cyberdramon, lilamon, ravemon, and marinchimairamon. this is my first time playing it so i have no idea of my team buildings gonna be, so i just kinda go for whatever digimon i saw (with a little peek from the documentation).

i had fun with this and this is a new experience for me. my suggestion maybe add more digimon and custom moveset on the game. polish the sprites more to make it feels more natural (like cyberdramon. i love cyberdramon's sprite a lot, i really hope that the other mons also have the quality of cyberdramon's sprite). add more move animation (ex. dark bg on night slash, etc.), and ability variations.

but nonetheless, thank you for making this. its a fun new experience for me. i am really looking forward for your next project on digimon hacks!

(btw what can you do on the post game? i went to catch mewtwo but cerulean cave is still blocked even though i already beat the champion)

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    i've just finished the game recently and it is quite good honestly. i really love the sprites that is for sure, at the first time i was kind of skeptical about side sprites instead of back sprites, but man side sprites are actually much more better.
    elite four was hard, i really didn't expect that, especially lance with fairy type mon lmao

my team was : wargreymon, dianamon, cyberdramon, lilamon, ravemon, and marinchimairamon. this is my first time playing it so i have no idea of my team buildings gonna be, so i just kinda go for whatever digimon i saw (with a little peek from the documentation).

i had fun with this and this is a new experience for me. my suggestion maybe add more digimon and custom moveset on the game. polish the sprites more to make it feels more natural (like cyberdramon. i love cyberdramon's sprite a lot, i really hope that the other mons also have the quality of cyberdramon's sprite). add more move animation (ex. dark bg on night slash, etc.), and ability variations.

but nonetheless, thank you for making this. its a fun new experience for me. i am really looking forward for your next project on digimon hacks!

(btw what can you do on the post game? i went to catch mewtwo but cerulean cave is still blocked even though i already beat the champion)

Thanks so much for the feedback! Actually the game was originally just supposed to be a summer project. I spent one month making the 250 sprites and the next month teaching myself how to hack. That's why the game is pretty bare-bones when it comes to any changes that can't easily be done with readily-available romhacking tools. I finished just in time before the school year started up again, and I'm afraid I don't have much spare time to teach myself new hacking techniques (btw I'm not a student, I'm an elementary school teacher lol).

Hell, the game doesn't even have a proper post-game. You beat the E4 and that's it.

I'm also glad to hear you're a fan of the side sprite concept. I was inspired by the incredible sprite artists at Moemon (hence, my avatar). They also eventually adopted the side sprite concept so the player can get a better look at their mons.

I'm having a lot of fun with Ortz's animation editor, so it should be easy for me to revamp some of the moves (adding elemental effects after Fire/Ice/Thunder Fang would be an obvious starting point). I also have wild dreams of every single Digimon having a unique attack lifted from Digimon canon, but I'm not sure if the rombase has enough empty slots lol

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2021
    So, i just started the hack, since I'm a big diginerd.
    I really like how digimon look in 2d sprites, they really work! There's also a lot of variety, it's cool!

Couple of things: pkmn centers still mention "pokemon" instead of digimon.
    I'm at brock, started with koromon so i need to raise a few different digimons, but i only find lvl 2-4 wild digimon. Is this normal? Even at 2xspeed, it takes too much ttime to grind a digimon from lvl2 to 12-15.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    So, i just started the hack, since I'm a big diginerd.
    I really like how digimon look in 2d sprites, they really work! There's also a lot of variety, it's cool!

Couple of things: pkmn centers still mention "pokemon" instead of digimon.
    I'm at brock, started with koromon so i need to raise a few different digimons, but i only find lvl 2-4 wild digimon. Is this normal? Even at 2xspeed, it takes too much ttime to grind a digimon from lvl2 to 12-15.

Thanks for the comment! I can do another sweep with my text editor and see if there's any other "Pokemon"s that I missed. There may also be some text sections that I'm unable to edit at my current hacking skills.

The game is about 1.5x to 2x harder than vanilla Fire Red. This means the trainers and especially gym leaders will be packing stronger mons. I've played through the game five times now and personally I've never needed to grind against wild mons, but proper strategy is essential. It's no Emerald Kaizo or anything, but take the gym leaders seriously. Oh and I suggest fighting all enemy trainers for exp. Don't know if you consider that grinding or not.
    For Brock specifically, Golemon is Rock/Ground and Kudamon is Rock/Water. So both have a 4x weakness to Grass, a 2x weakness to Ground, and 2x weakness to fighting. I'd say training up a Grass type would be the fastest way to beat him, so long as it can take an Icy Wind from his Kudamon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2022
    So I was playing and wanted to clear out all the trainers in the tower before going to get the silph scope and I ended up getting soft-locked by a shadow tagged ghost which can't kill me and I can't hit it. I had to reset but I wanted to get that out there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2022
    Saw this in a random youtube video and looking forward to playing this. Random idea I had for you while I download and patch this.

Some of the fusion/Jogress/DNA Digivolve digimon: Omnimon, Mastemon, Imperialdramon, etc. You could have an NPC that does 2 trades with the player. Something like Trade LadyDevimon for a Manbomon or something, but then a second trade would be Angewoman for Mastemon.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    So I was playing and wanted to clear out all the trainers in the tower before going to get the silph scope and I ended up getting soft-locked by a shadow tagged ghost which can't kill me and I can't hit it. I had to reset but I wanted to get that out there.

Oh shit, thanks for the heads-up. I can include a warning on the front page.

Saw this in a random youtube video and looking forward to playing this. Random idea I had for you while I download and patch this.

Some of the fusion/Jogress/DNA Digivolve digimon: Omnimon, Mastemon, Imperialdramon, etc. You could have an NPC that does 2 trades with the player. Something like Trade LadyDevimon for a Manbomon or something, but then a second trade would be Angewoman for Mastemon.

Interesting idea. If there are quality sprites of Omnimon, Mastemon, Imperialdramon, and other Megas available online, then I can easily add them into the game. If not then I have to devote hours and hours of work to play with a sprite's perspective so it can fit into the necessary parameters.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2022
    Hey, I'm having trouble with the hack. I apply the patch and then when I open the rom and skip the opening cutscene all I get is a black screen and a buzzing sound. I've tried redownloading the hack and the rom but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, you HAVE to use the squirrels rom. Figured it out, thanks!

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hey, I'm having trouble with the hack. I apply the patch and then when I open the rom and skip the opening cutscene all I get is a black screen and a buzzing sound. I've tried redownloading the hack and the rom but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

EDIT: Never mind, you HAVE to use the squirrels rom. Figured it out, thanks!

Good point! In the Instructions.txt I can reword the directions to say "MUST use Squirrels rom." Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    Hi! I like your hack and you can tell just starting the adventure that every digimon has been revised, I really hate it whenever a fakemon or fusemon hackrom only focuses on designs but movepool/stats are a mess, you did a good job. But I have two complaints, my minor complaint is that gym leaders are way too high lever, level 18 mon first gym? Grinding will never be fun, I like difficult games but level 18 is too much. My major complaint is that the game is a little uninteresting, fakemon games and fusion games has something in common in that you never know what kind of pokemon you will find, so you are always looking foward to progressing, but the only reason you would ever play this game is because you're a fan of digimon like me, and besides 3 or 4 digimon that no one cares about the other 200+ you already know what to expect. Not asking to change Kanto plot but adding more QoL features would make things a lot nicer, EXP. Share All would make up for the overlevel gym leaders AND EV/IV Checker is fine but without PSS System is kind of pointless, the only useful thing about EV/IV Checker is checking if a digimon is physical or special attacker, using perfect stats against AI is overkill.

Sorry if I'm asking too much I've been playing romhacks all way the back since Light platinum just came out and this is the first time that I ever bothered creating an account to comment, I still like your game tho so if you stop updates that's completely fine, it's still a good hack.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! I like your hack and you can tell just starting the adventure that every digimon has been revised, I really hate it whenever a fakemon or fusemon hackrom only focuses on designs but movepool/stats are a mess, you did a good job. But I have two complaints, my minor complaint is that gym leaders are way too high lever, level 18 mon first gym? Grinding will never be fun, I like difficult games but level 18 is too much. My major complaint is that the game is a little uninteresting, fakemon games and fusion games has something in common in that you never know what kind of pokemon you will find, so you are always looking foward to progressing, but the only reason you would ever play this game is because you're a fan of digimon like me, and besides 3 or 4 digimon that no one cares about the other 200+ you already know what to expect. Not asking to change Kanto plot but adding more QoL features would make things a lot nicer, EXP. Share All would make up for the overlevel gym leaders AND EV/IV Checker is fine but without PSS System is kind of pointless, the only useful thing about EV/IV Checker is checking if a digimon is physical or special attacker, using perfect stats against AI is overkill.

Sorry if I'm asking too much I've been playing romhacks all way the back since Light platinum just came out and this is the first time that I ever bothered creating an account to comment, I still like your game tho so if you stop updates that's completely fine, it's still a good hack.

How dare you. You have offended and insulted RomHackers everywhere. Get out.
    I'm obviously kidding lol

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. I'm going to have to push back on the difficulty criticism however. I've playtested it five times now and I can safely say there is no grinding required to beat the game. Focus more on strategy, diverse movepools with lots of coverage, and, in a pinch, items. And to be fair on the front page I did warn you the game is about 1.5x to 2x harder than the original Fire Red.

That said I may have made the Elite Four a bit too difficult so I'm still gauging public reception on that. I may end up toning down the E4 in subsequent updates (specifically Loreli and final Rival battle).

As for your second point, I completely agree that the only ones actually interested in playing this game would be fans of the Digimon canon. I don't have a big imagination to be honest so making a new story with new characters and new maps and all that is kind of outside my paygrade. I played Moemon a few years back, loved it, and figured I could do the same thing for Digimon. That's all. Not super ambitious but what can I say. Oh and ExpAll is not happening as that would make the game way too easy in my opinion.

Overall I appreciate you giving the game a try and I always appreciate constructive criticism. Feel free to let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see in subsequent iterations. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2022
    Slowly been playing this on and off over the Christmas holidays and thoroughly enjoying it. Been a long time since I played FireRed, with the few tweaks and amazing Digimon sprites its been a refreshing playthrough 😁.
    Have not got round to the Elite Four yet, so will find out soon just how hard they are.

Only bits of feedback I have so far is:
    - Perhaps more of an issue with FireRed than this hack, but feel like a lot of the routes have too much of an overlap on the Digimon encounters. Slightly related, the Safari Zone seems a bit limited on the variety and rarer mons you can catch.
    Considering from the Pokedex there seems to be a lot of evolutions/digivolution, maybe this is okay as it puts a bit more emphasis on levelling up and branching evolutions?

- Some of the new moves are not that appealing in terms of stats or status effects. One example would be Howl Blaster. It has 10pp, 80 power and 90 accuracy with a chance to freeze. Compared with some of the other ice moves, in particular the famed Ice Beam (10pp, 95 power, 100 accuracy + chance to freeze), there is little reason to use it. Which is a shame as some of new moves have very nice animations.
    Maybe some slight tweaks like a small amount of extra PP or accuracy increases would go a fair way into making it a harder decision whether or not to swap them out?

- Some evolutions feel like a long way off and having many at same levels between the different Digimon are a bit samey. Wondering if some slight variations to the levels and perhaps a slight smaller gap for Ultra/Mega evolutions (45 and 60 are is long way to finally see MetalGreymon and WarGreymon) could work?
    Good old op Dragonite is level 55 in the base game and Salamence at 50.
    Might just be me but feel the 'In-Training' Digimon often going into 'Rookie' at level 15ish is a bit late. Kinda see something like Agumon as being somewhere in between a Charmander and a Charmeleon.

- A few people have mentioned this before and understand that its a fair bit of effort to add even more evolutions, learnsets and sprites, though I'm going to say it again, tis a little sad to see some Ultra/Mega evolutions being missed 😉

Thanks very much. Do appreciate the effort which has been poured into this ROM.
    Look forward to seeing what is next. Gen 3 Emerald with even more mons and Digivolution mechanics would be amazing!

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2023
    How dare you. You have offended and insulted RomHackers everywhere. Get out.
    I'm obviously kidding lol

Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. I'm going to have to push back on the difficulty criticism however. I've playtested it five times now and I can safely say there is no grinding required to beat the game. Focus more on strategy, diverse movepools with lots of coverage, and, in a pinch, items. And to be fair on the front page I did warn you the game is about 1.5x to 2x harder than the original Fire Red.

That said I may have made the Elite Four a bit too difficult so I'm still gauging public reception on that. I may end up toning down the E4 in subsequent updates (specifically Loreli and final Rival battle).

As for your second point, I completely agree that the only ones actually interested in playing this game would be fans of the Digimon canon. I don't have a big imagination to be honest so making a new story with new characters and new maps and all that is kind of outside my paygrade. I played Moemon a few years back, loved it, and figured I could do the same thing for Digimon. That's all. Not super ambitious but what can I say. Oh and ExpAll is not happening as that would make the game way too easy in my opinion.

Overall I appreciate you giving the game a try and I always appreciate constructive criticism. Feel free to let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see in subsequent iterations. :)

You scared me with the first paragraph lol.

I'm happy as long as there are more updates on this game, AGAIN you don't need to create a different plot that's unnecessary, I also played Moemon back then and I'm still wishing for an update where they remove wild double battles, such an useless feature that doesn't add anything to gameplay other than bugs and glitches like, what were they thinking lol. Your game reminded me of Dragon Ball Z: Team Training though, that game is very similar to yours where every mon is revised and useful, but besides the pokedex the game is the same FireRed hehe. Oh and Puppet Play Enhanced... Anyways thank you for the hard work.

BTW. Yours is already the best Digimon romhack or at least the best I can read since there's no translation for the Digimon Grey romhack, but that one might not be better than yours xD.

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    ...a lot of the routes have too much of an overlap on the Digimon encounters. Slightly related, the Safari Zone seems a bit limited on the variety and rarer mons you can catch.
    - Some of the new moves are not that appealing in terms of stats or status effects.
    - Some evolutions feel like a long way off and having many at same levels between the different Digimon are a bit samey.
    ...Good old op Dragonite is level 55 in the base game and Salamence at 50.
    Might just be me but feel the 'In-Training' Digimon often going into 'Rookie' at level 15ish is a bit late. Kinda see something like Agumon as being somewhere in between a Charmander and a Charmeleon.
    - A few people have mentioned this before and understand that its a fair bit of effort to add even more evolutions, learnsets and sprites, though I'm going to say it again, tis a little sad to see some Ultra/Mega evolutions being missed 😉

Thanks very much. Do appreciate the effort which has been poured into this ROM.
    Look forward to seeing what is next. Gen 3 Emerald with even more mons and Digivolution mechanics would be amazing!

Hi CookieAI, so glad to hear you're enjoying it!
    Thank you very much for the constructive feedback. As you said, the game is more evolution-focused. So a lot of it is catching the same in-training/rookie Digimon a few times and then fulfilling different conditions for a new evolution. I also think a bit more variance per route would be good. I'm chipping away at Digimon Emerald now and I'm aiming for 300 Digimon in the initial release (So this game +50), with the eventual goal of having 350 total. I'm pretty busy at the moment but it should be released in four or five months from now. :)

The Pseudo Legendaries of this game are Dianamon and Venusmon. Yes they evolve later than Dragonite and Salamence but they're WAY stronger. I have to double check but I think Venusmon's base stats total something ridiculous like 700 or something? So bigger investment, higher payout.

Thanks again very much for your input. I see you went through the effort of making an account just to comment on my hack and I appreciate it. :)

You scared me with the first paragraph lol.

I'm happy as long as there are more updates on this game, AGAIN you don't need to create a different plot that's unnecessary, I also played Moemon back then and I'm still wishing for an update where they remove wild double battles, such an useless feature that doesn't add anything to gameplay other than bugs and glitches like, what were they thinking lol. Your game reminded me of Dragon Ball Z: Team Training though, that game is very similar to yours where every mon is revised and useful, but besides the pokedex the game is the same FireRed hehe. Oh and Puppet Play Enhanced... Anyways thank you for the hard work.

BTW. Yours is already the best Digimon romhack or at least the best I can read since there's no translation for the Digimon Grey romhack, but that one might not be better than yours xD.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;P

I'm not a fan of double battles either. My reptilian brain can't think more than one step ahead so calculating the order of attacks for four Pokemon at once gets too messy for me. I think my hack came out before DBZ Team training but the concept is exactly the same. I believe there's a Sonic one and a Naruto one too. I once felt the urge to make a joke hack called "Pokemon Fire Red but there's too many franchises" that would include Pokemon, Digimon, YuGiOh, Monster Rancher, and Medabots but idk. Devoting so much time towards basically a meme hack might be a bit much lol

As for my game versus the other Digimon romhacks out there, I'd say the "better" one depends on what you're looking for. Mine only has 250 (at present) mons but I put a lot of effort into the sprite work. Some of the other hacks out there have over 700 (!!!!) but are usually just compressed sprites. So it's kind of a quality vs. quantity question I guess.

Anyhoo thanks again for your input. Interacting with players who enjoyed my work is very rewarding and makes it all worthwhile. :)

Back