• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dinosaur Extinction?

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
    Many scientists believe that a meteor knocked out part of the earth and destroyed dinosaurs, knocking the earth into an ice-age, however scientists begin to question this theory, thinking that moths and flys drained out all of their blood, due to their long lifespan. In fact, some flys and moths today have dinosaur blood left in their bodies, leading to a possible rebirth. What do you think of this?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    however scientists begin to question this theory, thinking that moths and flys drained out all of their blood, due to their long lifespan.
    No... but spreading a disease which killed off most dinosaurs, perhaps.
    Also, what scientists? All you've said is as effective as saying "some argue".
    Last, how are we supposed to know what they contain is 'dinosaur blood' anyway? I can imagine using DNA from fossils (assuming that can be done), but go on...

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    I think it was a moth (or whatever)-borne virus is the most likely thing. I don't get how a single meteor could wipe out most every dinosaur on Earth.

Dr. Montague

FOnewm
    Years

Problem solved :D

I'm slightly skeptical about the virus thing. Assuming every dino got it, spread it. But hey, it could have been some crazy strong virus (or bad dinosaur immune systems).

Of course skepticism comes from the meteor thing too, as Blue Nocturne mentioned above.
    Was the ice age caused by the meteor? I am unsure D:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I think it was a moth (or whatever)-borne virus is the most likely thing. I don't get how a single meteor could wipe out most every dinosaur on Earth.

It's not the actual asteroid per se but the dust cloud it kicked up. Because of the size of the asteroid, it would have kicked up enough dirt to cause the natural equivalent of a nuclear winter, blocking out the sun and dropping the global temperature.
    Of course, an infection is fairly probable, but I have trouble with idea that a microbe would evolve that could infect almost every species in an entire genus (I think dinosaurs are genus any way).

Problem solved :D
    That, of course, is the true reason that the dinosaurs went extinct XD

Zet

Years

If a meteor the size of the moon were to hit the Earth, every living creature would be wiped out, however a smaller one would scorch whatever part of the Earth it hit, and the dust clouds blocking out sunlight would result in an ice age.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Some sort of virus causing the extinction of the dinosaurs is very unlikely. There would have to be a virus that could affect every dominant life form on the planet at the time, and affect it in roughly the same way. This is like saying a virus could come along that could kill all the mammals on earth, it just isn't something likely to happen - every species has a differently developed immune system and would react differently to contagions. The meteor/dust cloud theory is the one that makes the most logical sense at the time.

And as for a 'rebirth' of the dinosaurs, that's just not going to happen. Of course there has been experiments where birds have been altered so that features their reptilian ancestors had, but these are not the same as bringing back the dinosaurs.

L5Animations

Gamer & Shiny Hunter
    Years
    In fact, some flys and moths today have dinosaur blood left in their bodies, leading to a possible rebirth.
    "Welcome, to Jura-" *gets killed by a pack of velociraptors*
    I think a real Jurassic Park is entirely possible, despite all the problems with the theory in both the novel and movie. It would be pretty amazing. I hope it happens.
    A misconception about the meteor is that it alone killed the dinosaurs. That's not true. It killed many of them, but it actually kicked up dirt, debries, etc, and killed most of the plant life. Without plants, herbivores couldn't eat and they died, and carnivores died because they couldn't eat.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I think it was a combination of effects, like the explosion of a super volcano, the meteor, and a dinosaur virus...though that doesn't explain very well how come their decedents Birds survived...

Years
    An asteroid hit the earth around 65 million years ago, near the Yucatan peninsula in central Mexico. Also, if one looks in the soil layers around that time, you'll see a thick layer of black ash, called the kt boundry. The asteroid theory is the accepted view in mainstream science today. As for the Jurassic Park scenario, it is actually feasible, but it's still within the realm of science fiction, for now.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The most logical theory of dinosaur extinction for me is the meteor theory. I don't think the theory of insects draining the dinosaurs' blood is logical because they don't live long.

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
    Dinosaurs were lies made up by the scientists to cover up the existence of Pokemon.

On a more serious note... the moth/flies theory sounds implausible, UNLESS the moths and/or flies carried some sort of deadly disease that can be spread easily and quickly. Even so, it's highly unlikely.
    I'll continue believing the "extinction by a meteor/astroid" theory until scientists decide to change their minds due to some ground-breaking discovery.

Years
    Dinosaurs were lies made up by the scientists to cover up the existence of Pokemon.

On a more serious note... the moth/flies theory sounds implausible, UNLESS the moths and/or flies carried some sort of deadly disease that can be spread easily and quickly. Even so, it's highly unlikely.
    I'll continue believing the "extinction by a meteor/astroid" theory until scientists decide to change their minds due to some ground-breaking discovery.

I think the disease theory is the most implausible of them all, because a disease deadly enough to kill millions upon millions of dinosaurs wouldn't last long enough, because the population would be too thin to support the further spread of the disease, and the Dinosaurs extinction was gradual, over the course of a few million years. In the fossil record, we see a dropoff of the overall number of dinosaurs starting around 70 MYA, then finally stopping altogether around 65 MYA, give or take a few million for adjustment.

Years
    Well, I guess I'll be the religious one here and say that God decided the time of the dinosaurs was over, and wiped them out. At least to me, that is, since science is so far not helping the least.

Though the dust cloud theory could work, but then again, holes in the theory.

aguinn99

Im a firin mah lazor
    Years
    Well, I guess I'll be the religious one here and say that God decided the time of the dinosaurs was over, and wiped them out. At least to me, that is, since science is so far not helping the least.

Yea, that makes the most sense, since humans where coming along and the dinosaurs would kill everyone. Science really does not make sense in many ways, yes, so thats what i say to.

Years

There's plenty of holes in that theory as well. But remember the word "theory" in scientific terms carries a different connotation than normal. Theory in science = the accepted and supported method, until further discovery either discredits or solidly proves it. Right now, the meteor theory is the accepted version.

This is the resonance image of the Chicxulub crater, now underwater, in the Yucatan Peninsula. The crater is Carbon and Isotope dated to the end of the Cretaceous period, exactly 65 million years ago. Looks solid to me.

Dinosaur Extinction?

Same Image, different method.
    Dinosaur Extinction?

Last edited:
    Years
    The only reason humans are still alive is because we have an understanding of diseases.
    If you think along those lines, it's almost a 'duh' that diseases played a part in the extinction of dinosaurs.
    The meteor may have ensured their extinction but imo disease has had a very large role in it.

However, I'm not going to discuss whether flies / moths killed dinosaurs because anything can be a vector.

Carbon dating is a retarted thing to use as evidence for millions of years ago.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    As a geologist in spe, I've heard a lot about the Cretacious - Tertiary boundary. (fun fact: "Tertiairy" is outdated, but everyone uses it anyways. XD "Cenozoic", that's what it is...)
    There are many clues that could lead to the commonly accepted projectile from space-theory.

Not only was the Yukatan crater dated at around 65Ma, everywhere in the world as thin layer containing the element Irridium can be found. This layer had also been dated at around 65Ma. The worldwide appearance of this layer tells us that around the C/T boundary the climate suddenly gut diverted from it's usual pattern.
    Many believe that the impact of the Yukatan projectile, caused dust clouds into the sky. Combined with a heightened Vulcanic activity, this caused the worldwide climate to change.

Image that in 1991 there as a huge the volcano Pinatubo's (Phillipines) (in combination with others like Mount Hudson's (Chile) in that same year) caused a change in the seasonal pattern. Multiply this effect with the amount of activity around the C/T boundary, and you get a climate that's hostile enough to kill a race as develloped as the Dinosaurs.

One theory is that the mammals, being small and still in full devellopment, got the chance to addapt quickly to this new condition, and thus they survived.
    Another theory, regarding the Dinosaurs' long life of about 200Ma (251.0 ±0.4 Ma/Start Triassic - 65.5 ±0.3Ma/End Cretacous) were just tired of living. The species had the chance to roam our earth for so long... that they eventually grew bored and left. Or so to speak.

Truth is that something changed on our planet 65 Ma ago. The dinosaurs weren't the only one to go.... And the C/T extincion is just one of the many that our planet's history went through, and will go through.

I learned something last year:

"Once dead, always dead."

So no rebirth.

Except... when you go count in the "Lazarus-effect" like the Coelacanth... which wasn't so extinct as scientists believed it was.

Edit: Carbon dating is mostly used for the more recent history, i.e. Human history. Earth's history is measured by other isotopes such as O δ16,18, S, K/Sr... etc.

Last edited:
    Back