• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disciplining Children

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    True story guys, my friend's cousin got spanked, and she had to go to the hospital because her mother hit her too hard and now she's hooked up to a machine and can't think for herself. So no, I won't spare the rod, I'll plain get rid of it. That sort of punishment is old and wrong and just causes pain.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I've never been spanked, I know what's wrong and what's right. I'm not disobedient. Hopefully my child takes after me!

To be fair, I think I would discuss the matter with my partner to see how we should handle decisions like this. And we would both have to agree on whether to or not.

The only thing that's wrong with that is if it's blatant that the child deserves it and will only understand between right and wrong when physical force is applied.

Even if you don't feel it's right, your child might be responsible later on for screwing up another person's childhood - which ultimately, is your fault because you failed to discipline said wild, uncontrollable child correctly.

:s

Lunatone:

Her mother obviously wasn't spanking her buttocks then. If you believe spanking buttocks = a ticket to the hospital for life, then you've been trolled.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Well maybe that could cause trouble going to the bathroom or something. Either way, there are other ways to solve the problem.

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    I heard that it's now illegal to spank children.

But I believe it's necessary sometimes. I mean, you don't have to beat the living Helen of Troy out of them, but you shouldn't let them overstep their bounds. Not like it concerns me because I don't plan on having kids. Ever. But it does get annoying when you go out to a public place like a store and someone's child starts crying and screaming.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Well maybe that could cause trouble going to the bathroom or something. Either way, there are other ways to solve the problem.

I don't believe so. An open hand smack to the buttocks won't hurt anyone, unless you take a stick or something and slam it with all your force.

Moderation of force is obviously a concern here. You don't hit to hurt; you hit to make them understand. Hitting the buttocks with your hand won't cause bodily harm - you should never hit anywhere else, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    No, you shouldn't be allowed to hit someone anywhere, period. I don't care how justifying you think hurting somebody is, but I don't see anything good coming from it.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I heard that it's now illegal to spank children.

But I believe it's necessary sometimes. I mean, you don't have to beat the living Helen of Troy out of them, but you shouldn't let them overstep their bounds. Not like it concerns me because I don't plan on having kids. Ever. But it does get annoying when you go out to a public place like a store and someone's child starts crying and screaming.

it's not illegal to spank them- it's illegal to ABUSE them- HUGE difference

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    No, you shouldn't be allowed to hit someone anywhere, period. I don't care how justifying you think hurting somebody is, but I don't see anything good coming from it.

Trust me. Even if it's a method to cause fear, you need to show that you're the dominant person - that you're the parent, and you obey the parent. Your children should not be permitted to run around wildly, screaming, and perhaps even hurting other people emotionally or physically, and not expect to be smacked in the butt for it.

If you don't cause fear to a child (assuming they won't listen to words, mind you), the rebellious ones won't listen.

Take my sister for example. She was treated too delicately as a child. Now, she insults my father with every name in the book, insults everyone around her, dropped out of school, and is so egotistical, self-absorbed, etc.

What's the difference? Personalities, really. She was never spanked, though, and she's the type of child that needed physical discipline.

Unfortunately, some children don't listen to words. These children need to be spanked. It's not abuse; it's a way of making them understand the only way that they will understand.

[Edit]

I'm sure you have friends that just won't listen to reason. You want to smack them, too, because communicating with diplomacy does not work with certain types of individuals. It's a fact. These people need to be shown physically who's boss and who's right, assuming that you are, indeed, right.

Spanking the rebellious child not only teaches them the only way they can be taught, but it also shows the boundaries and the differences in stature. A parent has more authority than the child; nowadays, children are switching this around. Children are becoming more and more demanding, and parents are pleasing them more and more because they just want their kids to stfu or they feel obliged. There are many reasons for this swap in authority - an authority that should always belong to the parent, and not the child. Ever.

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I wish SOMEBODY would please explain what good comes out of hitting your child.

so you don't end up with bratty mouthy drug addict kids that never listen to you- you have to show that you are the parent/guardian

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Not to mention, your disciplining your child can affect other children's parents. Let's say you let Bob treat you like trash and other kids see it; they'll start assuming it's all right to do, too, in the back of their minds, because "Bob's parents let him do it", so they start sassing their parents, too.

See what I mean. It affects a lot of stuff. Sure, if little Timmy's parents can convince him that Bob's behaviour is bad, nothing is affected, but kids have this weird obsession with needing to be identical to their peers. If Jim has a new Tonka truck, Timmy's going to want one, too. Likewise with behaviour.

I would sometimes visit a friend who was absolutely horrid with her parents - spoiled to the core, and always wanting more. Her parents were so kind, and she was such a rotten *****. You know what would happen? I'd subconsciously copy her behaviour. I'd come home and sass my dad. It's just a game of dominoes, really.

Ricky429

Turtwig lovers unite!!!
    Years
    I agree with Hantsuki. You dont have to torture them to behave or what have you.

Also Kauai, I'm not saying you should slap them on the face or anywhere else except the butt. Slapping your kids to a point where it leaves scars is completely wrong. Its not like your spanking them hard enough to make them bleed. Just to get a point across. And I wasnt trying to make a broad generalization about every kid who was or wasnt spanked just about what I have experienced. When a child continually misbehaves and words arent working spanking is the next step.

I also agree with Yusshin when she says kids can stop misbehaving when they are told but only some kids. Not all kids can be that reasonable haha

Leaving bruises, scars are the like is definitely not ok. If you are hitting your kid that hard then you need to try something else.

Hamilton

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    I agree with Hantsuki. You dont have to torture them to behave or what have you.

Also Kauai, I'm not saying you should slap them on the face or anywhere else except the butt. Slapping your kids to a point where it leaves scars is completely wrong. Its not like your spanking them hard enough to make them bleed. Just to get a point across. And I wasnt trying to make a broad generalization about every kid who was or wasnt spanked just about what I have experienced. When a child continually misbehaves and words arent working spanking is the next step.

I also agree with Yusshin when she says kids can stop misbehaving when they are told but only some kids. Not all kids can be that reasonable haha

Leaving bruises, scars are the like is definitely not ok. If you are hitting your kid that hard then you need to try something else.

Bruises are a totally different story- if i ever left a bruise on my child i would lock myself up (that's assuming i ever have children)

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years
    Violence doesn't teach a child to behave, it simply teaches them to fear. Parents should set clear standards, explain to children why they are needed, and then set non-violent punishments on a sliding scale of severity if they misbehave. This way, they aren't doing it because they are in fear of pain, but because they understand it's the right thing to do and behave and will thus apply it to other places in their life without the need for violence.

Yeh...I've been watching too much Oprah.

I actually agree with this. Spanking a child or even hitting them is obviously the same as abuse. The child doesn't understand why you spank them and it doesn't matter if you let the child cry after explaining... let them cry. They're just children. They'll get over it after a while because they'll tire out and stop crying.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years

I actually agree with this. Spanking a child or even hitting them is obviously the same as abuse. The child doesn't understand why you spank them and it doesn't matter if you let the child cry after explaining... let them cry. They're just children. They'll get over it after a while because they'll tire out and stop crying.

Actually, if you explain it to them twice on two different occasions, I don't see why a child wouldn't understand already before reaching the third strike. They'll see how serious you are about it if you spank them a bit. They won't do it again because it hurts, and they might ask why, but the parents will say "I explained it to you three times already, and you refuse to listen. Don't hit your sister" or w/e the child did. They might even reflect on what they did and think twice the next time they're going to smack their sister, or write on the walls, etc.

It's not the same as child abuse, because you only do it to cause slight pain on rare occasions in a place on the body that can't cause long-term damage. Child abuse is leaving bruising, letting a child bleed, breaking an arm. Abuse is when you go too far - that's why it's called "abuse".

Take it this way. Casual drinking. That's not abuse; it's the same as spanking. Becoming an alcoholic is abuse, or in this case, beating your child with fists.

The dictionary says:

Abuse Definition said:
    to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way

When you spank, you don't mean to be harmful, injurious, or offensive. Your intent is not to hurt them; your intent it to show a child, specifically children who won't listen to words, that you're the parent and you know what's best, and it's best not to fight against what you say because you have reason for it. Even if the child doesn't agree with the reasoning, they'll whine and complain about everything before the age of eight. If you let them control you from a young age, or get away with things that they shouldn't get away with, they won't understand how serious certain things are.

I said to my dad as a child "**** you". He hit me. I never did that again because I realized how serious it is to insult or offend a parent / guardian at that moment in my life. "Daddy never hit me before! Why did he hit me now? It must have been really bad what I said... I didn't realize..." If my dad hadn't done that, I'm sure I would be like my sibling of whom he didn't hit: my sister, who calls him an ******* and a bastard at least twice a day.

As said, not all children can be taught with words. Most people have friends like this, too, who don't communicate with diplomacy. For a child, you spank them on the buttocks to leave red, but not a deep red. It shouldn't last more than an hour or you've hit too hard.

S'all.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
    i think that "spanking" is appropriate at times as long as you dont go overboard/do it too often

for example, when my dad gets mad, he goes nuts. he doesnt spank any of his children unless he's extremely mad. and so from stories, i know that my dad spanked me pretty badly just once, which worked (i think it was on the butt, i'm not sure). i dont even remember it happening but it must have been pretty scary. he never spanked me or any of my siblings more than a once or twice

on another note, my niece is 2 and 10 months and she's a little devil ;-;
    when my aunt (her grandma) tells her to stop doing something, she does the opposite of what she's told. eventually, she'll get spanked and it'll keep her from causing trouble for a little while. sometimes she learns from it, but sometimes she doesnt. for example, she's been warned/spanked/punished (getting locked into the bathroom for a while) countless times for touching people's computers yet she still does it. she even has her own high-tech toy laptop! D:
    and when she gets spanked, it's only on the butt with her pants on or on the hand, but then she gets ignored so she just cries for ages ._. i always wanna hug her but she only wants her grandma at that point

i do think that regularly spanking a child harms the child psychologically though

so i guess basically, it works for some kids but other kids are just hard to discipline in general

I HEART MEGA HITT

ruuuki ♥
    Years

Actually, if you explain it to them twice on two different occasions, I don't see why a child wouldn't understand already before reaching the third strike. They'll see how serious you are about it if you spank them a bit. They won't do it again because it hurts, and they might ask why, but the parents will say "I explained it to you three times already, and you refuse to listen. Don't hit your sister" or w/e the child did. They might even reflect on what they did and think twice the next time they're going to smack their sister, or write on the walls, etc.

It's not the same as child abuse, because you only do it to cause slight pain on rare occasions in a place on the body that can't cause long-term damage. Child abuse is leaving bruising, letting a child bleed, breaking an arm. Abuse is when you go too far - that's why it's called "abuse".

Take it this way. Casual drinking. That's not abuse; it's the same as spanking. Becoming an alcoholic is abuse, or in this case, beating your child with fists.

The dictionary says:

When you spank, you don't mean to be harmful, injurious, or offensive. Your intent is not to hurt them; your intent it to show a child, specifically children who won't listen to words, that you're the parent and you know what's best, and it's best not to fight against what you say because you have reason for it. Even if the child doesn't agree with the reasoning, they'll whine and complain about everything before the age of eight. If you let them control you from a young age, or get away with things that they shouldn't get away with, they won't understand how serious certain things are.

I said to my dad as a child "**** you". He hit me. I never did that again because I realized how serious it is to insult or offend a parent / guardian at that moment in my life. "Daddy never hit me before! Why did he hit me now? It must have been really bad what I said... I didn't realize..." If my dad hadn't done that, I'm sure I would be like my sibling of whom he didn't hit: my sister, who calls him an ******* and a bastard at least twice a day.

As said, not all children can be taught with words. Most people have friends like this, too, who don't communicate with diplomacy. For a child, you spank them on the buttocks to leave red, but not a deep red. It shouldn't last more than an hour or you've hit too hard.

S'all.

True but no matter how much i think about that... I just can't imagine doing it to my child. x_x

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    If I had a child I would make her write lines on a blackboard as disclipline. I think she would get the message eventually.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    so you don't end up with bratty mouthy drug addict kids that never listen to you- you have to show that you are the parent/guardian
    You know, there's plenty of alternatives to hitting them. I would personally never lay a hand on my child unless it was to embrace them in a gentle manner, like a hug or pat on the back.

Back