• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disciplining Children

Years
    Personally I think the worlds gone soft. Everyones always walking on eggshells as to what they can and cant do.
    I understand I was a horror of a kid, all the way up until a couple of years ago when I turned 19.
    I was disciplined. In some cases really very severely, I got thrown through a wooden door at one stage for something that I had done (I wont go into details, what I did is irrelevant).
    However, it taught me right from wrong. It taught me respect for my parents.
    I also am 100% clean for drugs, Im not an alcoholic and Im not a violent person.

Being disciplined the way I was did me no harm and like I said, Ive been literally thrown through doors and knocked out and all sorts of things.
    My dad ruled with an iron fist, and I respect him for it.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Personally I think the worlds gone soft. Everyones always walking on eggshells as to what they can and cant do.
    I understand I was a horror of a kid, all the way up until a couple of years ago when I turned 19.
    I was disciplined. In some cases really very severely, I got thrown through a wooden door at one stage for something that I had done (I wont go into details, what I did is irrelevant).
    However, it taught me right from wrong. It taught me respect for my parents.
    I also am 100% clean for drugs, Im not an alcoholic and Im not a violent person.

Being disciplined the way I was did me no harm and like I said, Ive been literally thrown through doors and knocked out and all sorts of things.
    My dad ruled with an iron fist, and I respect him for it.
    That's not discipline, that's abuse. Big difference. If you're abused, you're not going to cross paths with the abuser again. You'll fear them, and agree to their terms. However, your father went about disciplining you the wrong way.

Smack on the arm or bum vs Thrown through a door. Hmm.

Years
    I dont have any fear towards him at all.
    I see him regularly.
    I was disciplined. As discipline was before it became suddenly wrong to hit your kids.
    As far as Im concerned the people who decided it was a bad thing, have never had kids, and dont know what its like to deal with a menace.
    The world got along for millions of years of PROPER discipline before they decided it was wrong. It cant have been that bad at all could it.

EDIT:
    Zet, this is true. We do have that over here now.
    I dont believe in it.
    I see mothers belt their kids upside the head in shopping centres all the time for being a nuisance.
    And well deserved in my opinion.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I dont have any fear towards him at all.
    I see him regularly.
    I was disciplined. As discipline was before it became suddenly wrong to hit your kids.
    As far as Im concerned the people who decided it was a bad thing, have never had kids, and dont know what its like to deal with a menace.
    The world got along for millions of years of PROPER discipline before they decided it was wrong. It cant have been that bad at all could it.

EDIT:
    Zet, this is true. We do have that over here now.
    I dont believe in it.
    I see mothers belt their kids upside the head in shopping centres all the time for being a nuisance.
    And well deserved in my opinion.
    Pal, kids at school were whacked if they got a sum wrong or were caught writing with the wrong hand. If that's not stupid, I don't know what is. And I don't believe a kid should be hit in public, especially. That's just humiliation.

Years
    Australia does seem pretty laidback about MOST things.
    I still believe the world has gone soft.
    I dont expect anyone to agree with me.
    The worst thing that ever happened was letting kids know what their rights are.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Australia does seem pretty laidback about MOST things.
    I still believe the world has gone soft.
    I dont expect anyone to agree with me.
    The worst thing that ever happened was letting kids know what their rights are.
    I don't really agree with you directly, but I do at the same time. The kids I see in the streets now are jerks, and they have no respect for their elders. They tag buildings, drink, smoke and have sex all well before 16, sometimes. However, whether it be the parent or not, everyone has a choice in what they do. You cannot blame the parent entirely if their kid is a screw up. It's the kids choice as to how he/she wants to lead his/her life.

Years
    I do agree with that to an extent.
    Im just going off my own personal experience.
    I was one of those screwups, fairly much what you're saying they are like.
    Although I was never one for cigarettes, but the rest, yeah I did all that.
    I learnt my lessons the hard way.
    LIke I said, I dont expect anyone to be on my side with this, but its what I believe.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I do agree with that to an extent.
    Im just going off my own personal experience.
    I was one of those screwups, fairly much what you're saying they are like.
    Although I was never one for cigarettes, but the rest, yeah I did all that.
    I learnt my lessons the hard way.
    LIke I said, I dont expect anyone to be on my side with this, but its what I believe.
    Surely it wasn't just your father that made you who you are today. You must have decided to stop what you were doing, too.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I made the decision based on the consequences I received for my actions.
    Thats all. If I hadnt had as such severe consequences Id probably still be a screwup.
    That's cool, I guess. Good to know you made good moral decisions.

But just remember that there's plenty of good kids out there who's parents never laid a finger on them which was meant in a painful way.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    The only thing that I myself learned from corporal punishment [spanking + other things along that line] was how to hide my feelings and how to shut myself up. I didn't learn alternatives to bad behaviour and I lived in fear of getting thwacked again. I have a big brother [adoptive sorta, thank you internet. X3] who, when he's upset with me, doesn't smack me or anything like that. He scolds me [severely <<;] and not only points out what I did wrong but points out what I should've done in as kind of a manner as he can. Sometimes I get a 'time out' but it's not because he doesn't love me, he does it because even at my age I need a cool down time. I've learned so much more from that then I ever did in my house. I actually feel guilty about what I did and I have reason to change the behavior, not because I don't want to get hit but because I actually want to change and become a better person.

In my house, after I was spanked, I was given a hug to 'kiss and make it better'. Hugs =/= Hitting and they shouldn't be used in the same sentence. It just doesn't work. :x Firm parenting with a gentle hand is best, in my opinion, because it's a form of respect. Children need boundaries, not scars and bruises. Shouting matches, name calling and hitting shouldn't ever be a part of it. Even the 'worst' children can be taught to mind with a gentle firm hand, it just takes longer.

I think though that there are exceptions to this with very young children.

My cousins, whose children I was a nanny for, were only spanked or swatted in some way in very dangerous situations i.e. running out in a street got a light swat on the bottom, touching a hot pan got a swat on the hand etc etc. It stopped when the children turned 5 or so and no longer reached for very dangerous items that could hurt them. It stopped around age 5 becuase the children, then school age, knew that such things might be cool looking but were very very dangerous. Little kids don't understand a car can kill them but they don't like mommy swatting them. It's not ideal sure because you're using pain as a means of control but when you live on a busy street and your kids really could get killed [because no parent can have a handle on their child 24/7, it's not humanly possible] or seriously maimed in an accident, it's acceptable if it's the only thing that works. :x This, in my opinion, is the only exception.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    If you're giving scars and bruises, it becomes abuse and the parents should be punished, not the kid lol

Nothing wrong with a temporary red mark on the buttocks.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    If you're giving scars and bruises, it becomes abuse and the parents should be punished, not the kid lol

Nothing wrong with a temporary red mark on the buttocks.

I think there's alot wrong with it. You're smacking a child out of anger instead of taking the time to get the child to understand. Children aren't mini adults and sure, you can smack them and get them to shut up but at the same time, you're teaching them to fear you.

There's a huge difference between permissive parting and over the top authoritation parenting. The middle ground, which has been proven by most psychologists worth their salt to be the best, is 'Authoritative' where this is no fear but an understanding going on between parent and child. Parent sets rules and clear consequences and the child follows them and if the child does not the consequences are consistently carried through. There is also, if the child is respectful, a venue for discussion in the older years if the child believes he or she was treated unfairly and both sides listen and hear it out.

Authoritation parenting is the style of parenting when the parent is always right and the child is always wrong. The parent says no, the child obeys but not because the child WANTS to obey. The child obeys because they HAVE to obey or they're going to get hit.

Permissive parenting is when a parent sets no boundries and is a friend instead of a parent. This is where out of control children come from for the most part but some do come from Authoritation households [an outlet for having all their emotions and frustrations surpressed.]

The pros and cons can go on and on but a word on legality:

In most 1st World Countries, Spanking is illegal. :x

It's not because "it doesn't work" but because too many people abuse their child and call it 'spanking'. The minority ruin it for the majority if you will and that's perfectly fine with me. There's no way, especially because of the anger that comes from a parent when he/she spanks their child, to prevent injury 100% of the time. There's no way to limit each parent's 'output' when it comes to just how hard and how exactly they hit/spank a child. :x

Here is a list of the places that have either severely limited or all out banned corporal punishment/spanking in the home/school as well as those that have no rules or regulations.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Mm... But some children need to be spanked, and many have already agreed with me. Obviously if you're hitting with a paddle or too hard, it's not appropriate. A temporary red mark that doesn't cause bruising is fine in my opinion. I was spanked when needed, but usually words worked with me. Usually words work with children over all, actually, but there are runts who just won't take your words as an answer / won't take it seriously, and it's those children who need the temporary red hand mark on their butts.

Bruising, bleeding, or using anything but your hand is inappropriate.

Wikipedia said:
    In Canada, parents may spank their children, but there are several restrictions.

In Canadian Foundation for Children, Youth and the Law v. Canada (2004) the Supreme Court upheld, in a 6-3 decision, the use of "reasonable" force to discipline children, rejecting claims that moderate spanking violated children's rights. However, it stipulated that the person administering the punishment must be a parent or legal guardian, and not a school teacher or other person; that the force must be used "by way of correction" (sober, reasoned uses of force that address the actual behaviour of the child and are designed to restrain, control or express some symbolic disapproval of his or her behaviour), that the child must be capable of benefiting from the correction (i.e. not under the age of 2 or over 12, etc.), and that the use of force must be "reasonable under the circumstances", meaning that it results neither in harm nor in the prospect of bodily harm. Punishment involving slaps or blows to the head is harmful, the Court held

I actually thought it was illegal in Canada. Good to know it's not.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    Mm... But some children need to be spanked, and many have already agreed with me. Obviously if you're hitting with a paddle or too hard, it's not appropriate. A temporary red mark that doesn't cause bruising is fine in my opinion. I was spanked when needed, but usually words worked with me. Usually words work with children over all, actually, but there are runts who just won't take your words as an answer / won't take it seriously, and it's those children who need the temporary red hand mark on their butts.

Bruising, bleeding, or using anything but your hand is inappropriate.

But see you might differ from other people when it comes to how you were spanked.

Some are spanked through clothes, some are degraded and stripped. Some children are still whipped with birches. My parents personally didn't use their bare hand because they viewed that as abuse. They used a plastic spatula or a wooden spoon through the clothes. At church, the topic for us kids in sunday school was who did what and got hit with what. Again, I learned, as did many other kids I knew/have known growing up, to shut my mouth and not get caught. I didn't correct the behavior.

There are ungrateful brats who won't listen, that's called being rebellious and it's almost always a phase. Getting frustrated and striking them doesn't fix any of that. If you can't hit a co-worker you're frustrated with when they don't listen to you, why can you hit a child who you're frustrated with because they also won't listen to you?

I regret being spanked, I regret being struck by my parents. I still flinch when I see the object that was used to spank me even if my parents aren't around. It's done a lot more damage than good, especially because it was used past the preschool age.

Time outs, taking to-s, grounding, they're harder to do. They take more time and effort, time parents esp. in today's america just don't want to give. Thwack a child and say no, the kid's not going to want to get hurt and at least where you can see it, they won't do it again. They don't learn, at least not in a healthy manner.

Parents, to do time outs and groundings, have to be firm and be an ever looming presence. If the kid's grounded, they have to be home to make sure the child stays home. To make sure tv and computers are off. That drains a parent but it also bonds parent and child.

I was grounded for a week once by my big brother and it was a living hell for me, the worst punishment I've ever had and yet I learned more from that one experience than I have from any sort of corporal punishment I've experienced growing up. Words and time and consistent behavior are what kids learn from, I'm positive of it.

To be honest, if you're looking at it from a purely logistical point of view, spanking doesn't work because of the inability to set guidelines, specific guidelines on how it's supposed to work. The minority who abuse their kids can and to be honest should ruin it for everyone so that nobody ever again tries to use 'punishment' to excuse child abuse. I've seen it working in schools and as a camp counselor and there's just no other way to stop them. :x "It's my religious right to punish my child how I want" "kk" Back in the old days, nobody thought twice about whipping children unitl they bled because that was the social norm. Then we hit an era where we were told not to punish our children at all and now we're heading right back down towards flat out child abuse and calling it punishment.

The actual method that actually works lies in between permissive and abusive parenting.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I got the "corner treatment" at school lol At home, it was just groundings, removal of things, soap in the mouth, or a spanking, but rarely.

I feel spanking with something other than the hand is abuse. You're taking a very hard item that you might not control at 100% and smacking your child with it. Being hit with an object is worse than being hit by an open hand.

As for the co-worker situation, you would assume a co-worker would understand. They're mentally capable of understanding your intentions and your words. A child, no. They're consumed with a childish mentality and a lust for stuff. You don't have to prove your authority to a rebellious co-worker like you would to a rebellious child belonging to you. It's quite a different situation. You can ignore the co-worker, but it's your responsibility to make sure your rebellious child doesn't rub off on other children, other parents, and other people's lifestyles, including your own. You're the parent. If the child doesn't want to hear words, let them feel temporary pain in the buttocks and they'll never want to do what they did again. They'll think twice. They'll reflect. They'll realize, hopefully, that their parents had reason and might even apologize themselves like they should.

I was spanked with my pants down on bare buttocks. It hurt, but it did me good. I realized at those moments just how bad what I had done was (i.e. disrespecting a parent). Most kids will realize that what they did was wrong after they bawl a bit.

Parents shouldn't hit too hard, though. Just once, maximum three times, to get the point across. The red mark shouldn't last more than 30min either.

Not to mention, you shouldn't spank the first or second times of an offence. If they write on the walls, talk to them first. Some things never deserve spankings, like taking an extra cookie, or a messy room, etc. It's when children become destructive or mouth off that they deserve it. You shouldn't spank them if they whine constantly, either. You shouldn't threaten them with spankings or anything like that, too.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013
    I got the "corner treatment" at school lol At home, it was just groundings, removal of things, soap in the mouth, or a spanking, but rarely.

I feel spanking with something other than the hand is abuse. You're taking a very hard item that you might not control at 100% and smacking your child with it. Being hit with an object is worse than being hit by an open hand.

As for the co-worker situation, you would assume a co-worker would understand. They're mentally capable of understanding your intentions and your words. A child, no. They're consumed with a childish mentality and a lust for stuff. You don't have to prove your authority to a rebellious co-worker like you would to a rebellious child belonging to you. It's quite a different situation. You can ignore the co-worker, but it's your responsibility to make sure your rebellious child doesn't rub off on other children, other parents, and other people's lifestyles, including your own. You're the parent. If the child doesn't want to hear words, let them feel temporary pain in the buttocks and they'll never want to do what they did again. They'll think twice. They'll reflect. They'll realize, hopefully, that their parents had reason and might even apologize themselves like they should.

I was spanked with my pants down on bare buttocks. It hurt, but it did me good. I realized at those moments just how bad what I had done was (i.e. disrespecting a parent). Most kids will realize that what they did was wrong after they bawl a bit.

Parents shouldn't hit too hard, though. Just once, maximum three times, to get the point across. The red mark shouldn't last more than 30min either.

Not to mention, you shouldn't spank the first or second times of an offence. If they write on the walls, talk to them first. Some things never deserve spankings, like taking an extra cookie, or a messy room, etc. It's when children become destructive or mouth off that they deserve it. You shouldn't spank them if they whine constantly, either. You shouldn't threaten them with spankings or anything like that, too.

But see, the way you're describing spanking and how it should/shouldn't be use is something that most countries, America and Canada included, can't agree on. If you can't agree on something and it's too dangerous to be left up to people to use on their own, it shouldn't be allowed period because people will take advantage of it. Sure, this happens with alot of things but when we're talking about innocent children getting caught up in the mess, then it's already gone too far. They don't deserve to be treated like that, not ever.

I could sit here all day and argue with you how your parents differed from mine because how you described your spankings is what my parents would call unnecessary abuse and vice versa.

Unless someone who is unbiased and highly knowledgeable in child psychology can come up with a blueprint [which, to be honest, people will still find a way around with the way our society is nowadays] on how spanking is defined what it can be and what it can't be, then it needs to be outlawed for the sake of protecting people who don't have voices in this.

Back