• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] 2012 Phenomena

Years
    I was watching something about this in Discovery Channel or something. Currently the greatest threat to us is the very thing that pretty much keeps us and just about almost every other being on this planet alive: The Sun.

You never know what the Sun can do, for one. It's highly unlikely that the Sun's fire will burn out during our lifetime, or during our children's children's lifetime, but it will happen. I've only heard that in 2012, there's going to be a solar flare that is going to be released from the sun. What this mean is that there's going to be a huge burst of heat energy from the sun and it'll be sort of like back-handing the earth(for lack of better description).

^ The Solar Maximun, as it's called, should happen from around mid-late 2012 (so on the 21st) to early 2013, but dating it effectively is tricky since the Sun really has a mind of its own, and it isn't an exact science.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I was watching something about this in Discovery Channel or something. Currently the greatest threat to us is the very thing that pretty much keeps us and just about almost every other being on this planet alive: The Sun.

You never know what the Sun can do, for one. It's highly unlikely that the Sun's fire will burn out during our lifetime, or during our children's children's lifetime, but it will happen. I've only heard that in 2012, there's going to be a solar flare that is going to be released from the sun. What this mean is that there's going to be a huge burst of heat energy from the sun and it'll be sort of like back-handing the earth(for lack of better description). The results from this would not have anything to do with our ozone layer as much as it would affect our magnetic field. Our magnetic field is what deflects just about most of the sun's rays and prevents our planet from overheating. Destroying that would result in Earth's cremation, pretty much.

So far, I've heard only that our magnetic field is getting weaker, and that it is unlikely that it will survive the solar flare attack from the Sun. When this happens, it will trigger a series of catastrophic events that would react in accordance to the solar flare. For one, a Super volcano could erupt(does anyone remember the one in Yellowstone park in Washington?). The eruption of a super volcano in the aforementioned area would spew up so much ash that it would cover Washignton, Part of California, Oregon, and honestly I think it would cover as much as the entire western half of the United States. Should the wind continue to blow this ash forthwith, then it could actually have the potential to blanket the entire United Stated for quite a while.

This is not the only occurrence, however.

The Supervolcano eruption would generate and shake up so much of the Earth's crust that it would cause a super tsunami afterwards, drowning out lands that are at least at sea level or not even that much above sea level. Going back to the U.S again, I believe that the central United States would be the only part of the U.S remaining after the Super Tsunami, since it flooded everything.

...I'm probably stretching things a bit far than what they really are, and I really have no specific stance on the matter personally. If it ends, then it ends. Complaining about it really won't change the date of the apocalypse now, would it? Remember, these are only things that I saw on Discovery channel, and it was pretty convincing for the most part, but I don't really choose to believe anything until the very day the actual world ends.

Just my two cents to the topic, though.
    Well if that happened then most of the Us would be in a problem as the central Us would be covered in ash from the original explosion, I read that the ash could go as south as Texas in the event that it explods...
    And Yeah the sun is our biggest threat...also if the earths magnetic poles shift during that time then the Ozone could be fried as well as all life on earth the magnetic poles weaken when they are shifting...imagine if the Pacific Northwest (where I live) and the California earthquakes that are foreshadowed to happen,happen, the Nw earthquake by itself has a chance of producing a Mega Tsunami that could hit Japan, one of the places hit would be Tokyo, also I heard that the magma chamber of Yellow stone is wider than believed originally...what if the California EQ caused the magma to rumble and thus causes a chain reaction that destroys the Us and the world...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Hey! Guess what! We're not gonna die in 2012! https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/mayan-calendars-2012-doomsday-prophecy-wrong/story?id=11926347 They had miscalculated the date because they had converted the mayan time to gregorian using a wrong system. So we'll first die in 50 to a 100 years!
    Well the article says there is a chance it's wrong but I'm glad 50 to 100 more years left...maybe...
    But the solar storm is might still hurt us in 2012...so either way we are still in trouble, also the population of the globe would be in the double digit billions by then...

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
    Years
    I survived Y2K. I can handle 12/21/12. That's what I'm sticking to.

This.

I've seen so many 2012 threads lying around here it's not even funny, this has got to be the 5th one I've responded too.

From what I've read it's been scientifically debunked as nothing more than a money making scam .-. Don't get me wrong, I get nervous about this whole apocalypse subject because it's most certainly not a time I want to live in but...I never even heard about this end of the Mayan Calender crap till the movie came out, lol.

And from what I've read it's not the end of the Mayan Calender it's just the start of a new cycle ._.;; I mean, no where did the Mayans write "OMG DECEMBER 21ST, 2012 IS THE DOOMSDAY KTHX."

Um...no they didn't. The calender just ends and here is another interesting fact: The Mayans aren't around anymore so no one can continue the calender.

I don't think the end of the world can be predicted, tbh. My religion states that only God knows the date but THAT is an entirely different subject that doesn't need to be delved into.

I've noticed that all these apocalypse dates are wrong and then they just keep moving it back a few years to get people all paranoid. Y2K, 6/6/6 etc.

And if it DOES happen I'm going to do some major underage drinking and go out drunk. ._.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years

Well the article says there is a chance it's wrong but I'm glad 50 to 100 more years left...maybe...
    But the solar storm is might still hurt us in 2012...so either way we are still in trouble, also the population of the globe would be in the double digit billions by then...
    Well actually it probably wont hurt us. The whole thing the mayan's predicted would be the polar shifting, which would mess up the ozone layer and leave it vulnerabe to the sun's beams.

This.

I've seen so many 2012 threads lying around here it's not even funny, this has got to be the 5th one I've responded too.

From what I've read it's been scientifically debunked as nothing more than a money making scam .-. Don't get me wrong, I get nervous about this whole apocalypse subject because it's most certainly not a time I want to live in but...I never even heard about this end of the Mayan Calender crap till the movie came out, lol.

And from what I've read it's not the end of the Mayan Calender it's just the start of a new cycle ._.;; I mean, no where did the Mayans write "OMG DECEMBER 21ST, 2012 IS THE DOOMSDAY KTHX."

Um...no they didn't. The calender just ends and here is another interesting fact: The Mayans aren't around anymore so no one can continue the calender.

I don't think the end of the world can be predicted, tbh. My religion states that only God knows the date but THAT is an entirely different subject that doesn't need to be delved into.

I've noticed that all these apocalypse dates are wrong and then they just keep moving it back a few years to get people all paranoid. Y2K, 6/6/6 etc.

And if it DOES happen I'm going to do some major underage drinking and go out drunk. ._.
    Well i believed the, its just the end of A cycle. But actually That is exactly WHY! Each cycle lasts 25,800 years and after each of those the earth is screwed until later. But that just gets me thinking. If as they state this isnt the first time, the whole solar flare hitting the earth thing happens, and the human and animal evolution continued, then it either can't be true or wasnt too bad.

Last edited:
    Years
    This.

Unfortunately that movie has spread so many false rumors it's a tad ridiculous. :/ people will begin to cite the movie instead of the actual history.

Back