• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] 2012 Phenomena

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    Civilisation or the planet?

If you are asking when will Earth die, scientists estimate that our sun has about 1,000,000,000,000 (1,000,000,000? A billion anyway) years until it expands. When that happens, unless Earth's orbit changes, it will be engulfed. Alternatively, the Earth's core could cool down causing the magnetic field to dissipate, which would in turn cause the atmosphere to be thrown off the planet (as happened to Mars) leaving Earth as a dead planet.

The end of (human) civilisation is harder to predict. We (as a species) could succumb to disease, wipe ourselves out through nuclear war (though it would be the ensuing nuclear winter, not the bombs that would wipe us out), global warming, another ice age (mind you, the last one hasn't quite ended yet), extra terrestrial invasion, a cosmic collision (comets, asteroids and the like), or we could simply evolve into another species (though civilisation may still survive through our descendants).
    To ensure the continuation of civilisation, we will need to colonise other planets as Steven Hawking said in Alkaide's quote.

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
    Those all "end of the world in XXXX year" are things to make people worry.
    Weirdly,even if it sounds stupid,many people are frightened by those "predictions" and wonder if they are true.
    I don't think the world will end in a war. Nothing can be more powerful than nature,and we could move to another planet with great technology. Who knows?
    This question shouldn't be answered for me. That sun's explosion thingy seems most believeable for me,but it can ever occur in a few Billions of years.
    People shouldn't worry with that types of problems, no one for example surely knows how we came to being scientifically. =)

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    I believe in Einsteins Polar shift theory. There isnt any way to explain such a theory briefly so feel free to look it up. The next polar shift is set to occur in 2012. Isn't much of a chance we'll survive it if it is true so brace yourselves(:

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    ever think maybe the world wont end? maybe people wont die but maybe after millions of years evolve into a different species.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    do you belive in 2012

do you belive the world will end in 2012 or not? personally i dont belive in it.

[discuss]

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I don't believe it either :/ lots of people have predicted the "End" and they've all been wrong!

Take 2000 for example.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Let's merge this with the pre-existing 2012 discussion thread since it's generally the same topic all around.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    Like most logical and sane people, I do not really believe it will end in 2012, since no one can predict when, really. It may or may not.

Though sometimes I hope it does, only to prove the ones saying no and continuously laughing about how they can say that, wrong and kill them all. A pretty selfish and stupid reason, but it would be cool to see their faces.

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    The reason the Mayan calendar stops at 2012 is because their civilization met an abrupt and unfortunate end due to a combination of Tuberculosis and hordes of Spanish Conquistadors.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    The reason the Mayan calendar stops at 2012 is because their civilization met an abrupt and unfortunate end due to a combination of Tuberculosis and hordes of Spanish Conquistadors.

Or, you know, just got bored.

Soari

Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 26, 2015
    The whole 2012 thing seems to be a plot just to create mass hysteria. =\ People are being fooled by this and Islam doesn't believe on that kind of false predictions. Only god knows when the world will end. So, what we really need to worry about and prepare is end of one's own world and not 2012 predictions. Just read the Quran, everything regarding the end of the world is coded in it.

SoulAura

☆Nightfall★
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2010
    No one can truly predict when the earth will come to an end. It is just not possible. the 2012 thing? Does it really make sense that a bunch of mayans would know when the world will end? And it took them that long to make the calender im pretty sure they wouldnt just stop at that number because the world would end and i'm also positive that they would have stated it somewhere.The mayans simply died off (previously stated from murmansk)
    Or, you know, just got bored.
    yeah or maybe they...no xD i can imagine that though :3 Maybe they discovered HD TV...

Years
    Nah, I don't think that the world is going to end so soon....

I believe that all these theories are fake. :P

Man is advancing in every aspects. He'll find a solution to this too~
    The History is a witness to this.

It was announced in the year 2000 that the world will end ; but it didn't.
    Don't bother 'bout all this stuff, live your life to the fullest without fearing of the end. xD;

But there was no basis for Y2K, unlike 2012 which has a slight historical basis to it. There is evidence to support the possibility of an event happening in 2012.

The calender ends in 2012 because that is the end of the 26,000 year cycle. This calendar was conceived and created many hundreds of years before Pizzaro and Cortes landed in the Americas.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    do you belive the world will end in 2012 or not? personally i dont belive in it.

[discuss]

(/).-)
    FACEPALM

For the last freakin' time, the myth isn't that the world will end apocalyptically on 12/21/2012, but rather that it will be a time of great change in human and natural history. The only people turning it into a doomsday scenario are the religious zealots that want to boost their numbers through repentances and conversions.

Read the OP of the thread you were merged into to understand what is really supposed to happedn in Dec. 2012

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    But there was no basis for Y2K, unlike 2012 which has a slight historical basis to it. There is evidence to support the possibility of an event happening in 2012.

The calender ends in 2012 because that is the end of the 26,000 year cycle. This calendar was conceived and created many hundreds of years before Pizzaro and Cortes landed in the Americas.
    Well, yes, it is much older than the arrival of any European. My bad, the calendar merely resets at that date. A slight goof up on my part.

LadySurreal said:
    Yeah, that's how it happened to me.

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    I think we will all stay up waiting for december 21st at midnight and then be let down as the hours pass and the earth remains as it has for billions of years.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
    Years
    tl;dr version:
    I don't know, I'm not psychic.

Long version:
    Personally I think anyone who believes in this is stupid. I don't care if I insult anyone here because of this message. You're stupid if you believe it, there is no nice way to sugar coat that.

However, I think it's just as stupid to say "IT WONT HAPPEN! 100% WONT HAPPEN!" You're not psychic. You're not some all-knowing powerful being.

I don't know if it will happen. I don't think it will, but ultimately I don't know. It's possible that it can. The world can end any second, of any minute, of any hour, of any day. Maybe there is some ultimate force they knew of that we don't? Who knows?

Plus, their calender ends on that day. The calender is not life on Earth. Our calender ends once every 365(6) days, the world doesn't end everytime that calender ends.

Also, a note to all, the Mayan civilization collapsed before Spanish conquest. When their calender ends, like it will on 12/21/12 it just restarts, like ours.

All I know is that I am getting a new TV on 12/21/12.

Back