• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Religion's Role in the 21st Century

Where do you see Organized Religion in 20-30 years?

• Total voters

KanadeTenshi

Banned
Years
  • Perhaps if that technology was around back in the hayday of the Catholic Church's power, maybe. Lesbian couples weren't looked down upon as much as male-male couples because, well, men ruled society and men find lesbians attractive. Nowadays however, the church is far too inflexible and this is partially the reason why I dissociate myself from the Catholic Church despite my core beliefs regarding spirituality being the same as theirs. XD
    Dunno about other bibles but afaik the hebrew bible never stated anything against women on women, only men on men.

You're missing the entire point- married people get married because they want to- do "it" with each other, and because they want to live forever together. Females can't have sex with each other, no, not literally, with anything. THEY CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT MARRY. Creating kids with technology is really morally wrong- how would you feel if your parents told you you were developed by scientists in a lab? Why are people denying what is right and natural?
    wowowow. So much wrong in one post.
    First... people marry because they want to live together. If they'd wanted to do it we'd have lots of hookers and the such around.. because doing it + getting money? I'm in!
    Second, females can do sex with each other. There are artificial things for that now.
    Third.. which is the one which annoys me the most.. THEY CAN AND SOME MIGHT MARRY. Honestly this sounds extremely sexist. What did I expect from a religious discussion..
    And I fail to see how creating kids with technology, which gives the parents something to abuse happiness, joy, etc, is morally wrong. And yes despite the issues I've bought to my parents and them being divorced I'd happily accept it, if my brother was born with me. And, what was that, I'm sorry even though I really don't feel like it, about denying natural and right?
    No matter how sexist people are, it still isn't right.
    Ironic, coming from you.
    [/quote]
    But I know what you mean; I say I'm Lutheran, but I have different views, beliefs, and opinions, many of which include baptism and communion. But I don't add or take away anything, and I don't think that lesbian relationships are right, no matter how "sexy" men think they are; no offense, but I find people like that sickening sometimes- Look, girls- boys and girls are opposites that attract, and Girl + Girl = No no.

You honestly sound like a 12-14 heterosexual woman. Grow up and then post.

Years
  • Just hypothetically, now it's possible for two women to procreate because they can produce sperm using technology from cells in a woman's body, and males aren't needed at all. Does this make a lesbian relationship okay?

Although it has never been documented in Humans, there already exists a biological process where an unfertilized egg can, in fact, fertilize itself, (something to do with calcifying) thus being a virgin birth, with no sexual contact at all. -Parthenogenesis.

Which totally kills the religious dogma concerning marriage, and provides a reason (although an extremely rare one) for the Immaculate Conception.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
  • Ah, the wonders of technology..
    Whoops. Technology in a religious discussion? I must be promoting atheism!
    To make this post even worse, I'll add this up. No offense to you guys but if you get offended you're so 19th century and need to grow up, go to Blue Noctourne and see how evil the bible and generally get a sense of humor.
    ca230_1trever.gif

Again I don't want to offend someone, but a little humor won't be bad.

Years
  • Ah, the wonders of technology..
    Whoops. Technology in a religious discussion? I must be promoting atheism!
    To make this post even worse, I'll add this up. No offense to you guys but if you get offended you're so 19th century and need to grow up, go to Blue Noctourne and see how evil the bible and generally get a sense of humor.
    ca230_1trever.gif

Again I don't want to offend someone, but a little humor won't be bad.

A little humor never hurt. Personally, I find that hilarious.

Amai

やった! 私はあまい
    Years
  • In 20-30 years from now, it will be less important than today, but it will have also have gone through a massive adaption to modern times.

The religions around the world all demonize common practices such as divorce. While they hold on to their 19th century belief on sexuality, genetics, and things like that. It pushes people away. When they finally realize it, they will change.

That is why Buddhism is so appealing to people and is rapidly growing. It's a very liberal and more of a.."I don't care, just be a good person" religion while the rest are "Here's a list of 200 characteristics, meet them or burn" religion.

Years
  • You're missing the entire point- married people get married because they want to- do "it" with each other, and because they want to live forever together. Females can't have sex with each other, no, not literally, with anything. THEY CAN NOT AND SHOULD NOT MARRY. Creating kids with technology is really morally wrong- how would you feel if your parents told you you were developed by scientists in a lab? Why are people denying what is right and natural?
    I was responding to Timbjerr's post, there's nothing to do with marriage in there. I don't agree that people get married because they want to "do it" with each other, a lot of people have sex before marriage nowadays. In most cases, it's what you mentioned second - that they want to live forever together (there are numerous reasons but usually this is what it boils down to). Now, I know lesbians can't literally have sex with each other in the traditional sense, but that's irrelevant to marriage. The reason you gave for marriage (that two people want to be together forever) also applies to lesbians. There's no difference between lesbian and heterosexual couples when it comes to wanting to be together permanently, which imo means there's no problem with lesbians getting married.

That is why Buddhism is so appealing to people and is rapidly growing. It's a very liberal and more of a.."I don't care, just be a good person" religion while the rest are "Here's a list of 200 characteristics, meet them or burn" religion.
    I can't help it but I have a default respect for other agnostic people. Like I won't discriminate against religious people or treat them any differently, but they don't have this type of respect. Buddhists do, they're one of the few religions (well, only religion so far, I don't know many religions apart from Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto and Hinduism) that I still have this respect for. I admire their self discipline.

Years
  • In 20-30 years from now, it will be less important than today, but it will have also have gone through a massive adaption to modern times.

The religions around the world all demonize common practices such as divorce. While they hold on to their 19th century belief on sexuality, genetics, and things like that. It pushes people away. When they finally realize it, they will change.

Agreed.

I've personally heard the Dalai Lama Speak, and I can attest to all of that. It's a very forward thinking religious view, compared to the others.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
  • Is any religion apart from Judaism (the crazier ones, experience from my own country, guess what it is) say that TV / PC internet is like the source of all evil? That made me laugh. They really need to adapt to modern times.
    And Buddhism doesn't make any sense to me, someone can be like that even without religion.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Is any religion apart from Judaism (the crazier ones, experience from my own country, guess what it is) say that TV / PC internet is like the source of all evil? That made me laugh. They really need to adapt to modern times.

I've had a lot of Catholic education in my day, and the only thing my teachers have ever labeled the "source of all evil" is Satan the Fallen One himself. Television and internet can be just as much a driving force of good as a driving force of evil. XD

And Buddhism doesn't make any sense to me, someone can be like that even without religion.
    At their very core, Christianity and Buddhism are the very same. Both teach the human objective of spreading peace and unity, either through Jesus's Commandment or the Buddha's Four Noble Truths.

Buddhism simply lacks theism, so there's no God, Heaven, or Hell...just karma, reincarnation, and Nirvana.

[FUN LINK]

Years

I think that's the beauty of it. It doesn't dictate your life/destiny to you, then burn you if you don't follow it, like you said earlier.

I've had a lot of Catholic education in my day, and the only thing my teachers have ever labeled the "source of all evil" is Satan the Fallen One himself. Television and internet can be just as much a driving force of good as a driving force of evil. XD

At their very core, Christianity and Buddhism are the very same. Both teach the human objective of spreading peace and unity, either through Jesus's Commandment or the Buddha's Four Noble Truths.

Buddhism simply lacks theism, so there's no God, Heaven, or Hell...just karma, reincarnation, and Nirvana.

[FUN LINK]

/Fun link is fun. :DD

I think it's perfectly plausible. Christianity draws from other older religious traditions, and Buddhism could travel to Europe from Asia via the Silk road, among other things.

Last edited:

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
    Years
  • Religion's only role in the 21st century is to get us into heated verbal "debate" and sometimes fist-fighting in the form of guns and airplanes.

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
  • Religion's only role in the 21st century is to get us into heated verbal "debate" and sometimes fist-fighting in the form of guns and airplanes.

Unlikely. Religion isn't anything that should make you go to war unless you're still in the 19th century. Most countries now separate religion from government, and that's the way it should stay.

Years

You forgot to mention the previous 20 centuries. Plus the only place you'll find a "real" religious war is the Middle East, but religious conflicts have existed there for several thousand years already, and that's highly unlikely to change anytime soon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    I very much dislike organized religion... Mostly because of the type of people it attract. Some of the most lofty people go to church just so they have a reason to look down on people and damn them.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I very much dislike organized religion... Mostly because of the type of people it attract. Some of the most lofty people go to church just so they have a reason to look down on people and damn them.
    It largely depends on the denomination, and the religion.

Personally, I'm more of a believer in the original values of Christianity, the Christianity that advocates humility, general goodness, and an honest living.

I know there are a lot of close-minded people out there that happen to be religious, but...

Honestly, it wouldn't be fair of me to say that I don't like Atheists, because a lot of Atheists are angsty teenagers, would it?

Now, I know I've gotten... err... fairly heated in debates, but that's mainly because I'm arguing for a point. When I sit down and discuss things reasonably, I'm more of a "Do what you want, so long as you're not actively slaughtering everyone" kind of guy.

Religion should be defined by the scriptures, and the works of the established hierarchy, not the individual faithful (Though that can be nice, sometimes).

I honestly wish people would just practice what they preach, and leave Christianity alone. We're not hurting anyone, so I see no reason why we need to be stamped out. -_-

EDIT: Because I can just see this coming...

The Spanish Inquisition wasn't the round of religious killings that Isabella and Ferdinand wanted it to look like. Sure, it had Papal consent, but... Most popes of that era were horribly corrupt, thanks to the Church's Eldest Daughter.

The Inquisition was a political mop-up of anyone who the Spanish monarchy wanted out of the way. After all, they had just finally driven the Moors (It was a mutual hatred) from Spain, so they wanted to go all the way with it.

X done in the name of Y does not mean that X = Y.

Years
  • EDIT: Because I can just see this coming...

The Spanish Inquisition wasn't the round of religious killings that Isabella and Ferdinand wanted it to look like. Sure, it had Papal consent, but... Most popes of that era were horribly corrupt, thanks to the Church's Eldest Daughter.

The Inquisition was a political mop-up of anyone who the Spanish monarchy wanted out of the way. After all, they had just finally driven the Moors (It was a mutual hatred) from Spain, so they wanted to go all the way with it.

X done in the name of Y does not mean that X = Y.

Well there was more than one Inquisition, technically. Don't forget the Witch Hunts of the 17th century in the Colonies and New England. :/

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • That would be the Puritan culture.

Which... kinda took Christianity, and ran the other way with it.

Also, I could point out that, oftentimes (and still currently...), a lot of Christians were killed simply for being Christian.

Personally, I'd rather be in 17th century Salem, than be a Christian in Rome.

But... yeah.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    It doesn't matter if it was the persecution of Christians in the Antiquity times or the mass hysteria of the Salem witch trials in 17th century. What it all comes down to is that there will always be religious extremists out there who will climb into power and persecute others for beliefs that differ from their own. Religion's role in the 21st century is the same as it ever was in the past.

Back