• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do any of you wish to be in the Services when you get older?

Croconaw

Herro dere :3 can i help youz?
Years
  • Drummershuff, you sound like a guy thats too scared to join. I'm not scared if i die, but if i do, i die for my country.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
  • Reasons why the military won't accept me/I won't join:

1. I'm a pacifist. I haven't hit anyone in years, the thought of even holding a gun with the intent to kill horrifies me.

2. I'm bisexual, and the American military is homophobic.

3. I morally disagree with all war. I realize that human nature is inherantly inclined toward conflict, but conflict does not have to mean war.

4. My particular talents can best be used in other areas.

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
  • Thorns said:
    NO. I'm against violence and would not want to support war, for any reason. Though some people seem to think the only way to defend our country is to go bomb the heck out of another, I have to disagree. But those are just my beliefs. I accept that others sometimes have different ideas, though I do not always understand them, and I respect those who would dedicate their lives to serving in the military, as well as feeling sympathy for those who were unfairly forced into it.
    USA doesn't start anything, ;).

~Ozy~ said:
    The American Military aren't homophobic, you're just using it as an excuse you-...I'll just leave it at you're a disgrace. (and not because you're bi, I could care less)

I might join, my dad and some of his brothers did, so I might as well. And it'd be an honor to defend my country.

*shakes head in shame at Ozy*

Although I can see why most of you are scared, everyone doesn't want to die (with the exception of some), but you got to do what you got to do.

Linoone

MCFRY! you are terminated! o!o
    Years
  • not really, probably the air force...I'd like to pilot, but as for the rest, I´m mostly pacifist, shooting people outside vidogames is different, from family experiences I'be been told about the horrors of war...

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Wars are so paradoxical...even if we're pacifists, we still fight for peace.

As for the poll, I wouldn't. It'd be a worthwhile experience, but I feel it just isn't for me. o_o;

Daegon

Friend of all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2006
    Where I'm from, joining the army's a crucial part of life. Whether you like it or not, you have to go.

~Ozy~

Years
  • Dawg 2005 said:
    The American Military aren't homophobic, you're just using it as an excuse you-...I'll just leave it at you're a disgrace. (and not because you're bi, I could care less)

I might join, my dad and some of his brothers did, so I might as well. And it'd be an honor to defend my country.

*shakes head in shame at Ozy*

Although I can see why most of you are scared, everyone doesn't want to die (with the exception of some), but you got to do what you got to do.

The American military would court-martial me were it to be discovered. As I am open about it, that wouldn't take long. In terms of homosexuality, the American military is a dated and archaic institution.

Furthermore, it does not take courage to die. It takes a few milliseconds of miscalculation. Thorough devotion to peace, and making it an example in your daily life and actions requires far more courage, I find. Violence is the easier answer, and death through violent action, not a corageous action. I have infinately more respect for the marchers in Birmingham, or Ghandi's Salt March, or Tianemenn Square than any member of the armed forces in any nation. Don't call me a coward unless you know what it's like to let someone hit you, then turn the other cheek to them because that is the right thing to do.

Psychotic_Demon

The Espeon of the Moon
    Years
  • ~Ozy~ said:
    Reasons why the military won't accept me/I won't join:

1. I'm a pacifist. I haven't hit anyone in years, the thought of even holding a gun with the intent to kill horrifies me.

3. I morally disagree with all war. I realize that human nature is inherantly inclined toward conflict, but conflict does not have to mean war.

4. My particular talents can best be used in other areas.

Agreed on all four accounts. Just the thought of killing another..... *shivers* I couldn't.

DeathMetal Anarchist

Pokecommmunity's Odd One
    Years
  • Personaly no,due to the fact that I am an anarchist and its not for me.Its not that I hate this country I just hate the corperations and government,thus IF I did join I would be doing something I would not enjoy.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • You know, as strange as it will seem to those who really know me, I had though about joinging the services a few years ago. I was never truly serious about it, however. Although I greatly dislike war, I know that it is inevitable. I can't say exactly what had gone through my head to make me ever want to join the armed forces. My uncle is on the S.W.A.T. team, so that could have been part of it.

Right now, however, I don't think I'm even considering it. XD

~Kelsey

Chiru

I dun use this account any mo'
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Hmm. Nothing about war really phases me that much, so that wouldn't be a problem for me. However, I would not be able make it through the training if I had to put up with some tight-assed instructor in some training unit yelling at me because I can't do however many push-ups he wants me to do. Also, I'm not sure if we're past this day and age yet, but I can't help but think I would be treated differently or underestimated because I'm female. Then there's always the fact that, yes, I like my country, but not really enough to die for it. So, basically, no, I'm not going to be in the military any time soon.

Dawg 2005

The original Dawg 2005
    Years
  • ~Ozy~ said:
    The American military would court-martial me were it to be discovered. As I am open about it, that wouldn't take long. In terms of homosexuality, the American military is a dated and archaic institution.

Furthermore, it does not take courage to die. It takes a few milliseconds of miscalculation. Thorough devotion to peace, and making it an example in your daily life and actions requires far more courage, I find. Violence is the easier answer, and death through violent action, not a corageous action. I have infinately more respect for the marchers in Birmingham, or Ghandi's Salt March, or Tianemenn Square than any member of the armed forces in any nation. Don't call me a coward unless you know what it's like to let someone hit you, then turn the other cheek to them because that is the right thing to do.
    Only have one comment,well maybe two:
    1)Let's say someone kills your family, are you going to let that person get away with it? Hell no.

2)If you're homosexual that won't matter, there could be hundreds, no, thousands even, in the American Military that are homosexual/bisexual.

Think about that.

~Ozy~

Years
  • 1) Yes, I would. Because killing, for any reason is wrong. I would not, say, testify in his favor in court, that would be dishonest. But I would not wish him dead, nor would I act to do so. To quote:

Matthew 5:43-48

"You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

2) Allow me to illustrate. At the AFA, where I live, there was a very accomplished young officer. A wonderful pilot, top in her class, several honors. In other words, she was well on the military fast track, she loved her job and did her duty. She was dishonorablt discharged. Why? Because she was (and is) a lesbian. The American military will court-martial and discharge members of its ranks who are gay or bisexual. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
    Years
  • Yeah its nice to support your country...but there are other ways of prooving yourself...I strongly encourge anyone thinking about it to go to College instead...not both just College...

Pokedragonfire

ph34r |\/|y 1337 n1nj4 5k1||z
    Years
  • America is a fine country. But the people of America are not as fine. I don't feel like protecting a bunch of idiots or greedy people. :P And I don't like the president. It's not like I will ever like any president we have though. *shrugs* So I'd never join the army or whatever.

As much as I dislike war, I'm not a pacifist because as unfortunate as it is, we need war. Why? To control human population. There are just too many people. I'm not saying the birth rate is horribly high here in America, but it's enough to keep pushing our resources and land. I see new houses being put up all the time where I live when we already have homes for people. Hopefully one day people will learn to have less kids and maybe adopt more.

Another thing about war is that it gets tough when you have to protect people who can't protect themselves, usually how America seems to get sucked into these wars after trying to stay neutral. Except 9/11 was the one that seemed different, we jumped right into war without trying to avoid it. This is tricky stuff and I think it depends on the situation. Is it okay to stop war with war after everything else has been tried?

Back