• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do gym Leaders Get payed?

Years
    Of course they get some money for their position as a gym leader. I know of no legal job that requires you to work for nothin' (except charity or volunteering). Of course, they probably get extra if they can beat up other trainers, but not much.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    dqle said:
    But if that's the case, what happens when the gym leader is on a losing streak, then how could that person ever get enough money to get the supplies they need to get a comeback? And how do you know that the gym leaders get the money? I also seriously doubt that when you defeat a gym leader, that the money you earn from them is all they have doubled! That's almost like minimum wage! It's not enough to get any supplies, not for long anyway!
    In RBY all the Gym Leaders use pretty cheap stuff, plus they made get a discount. 4,000+ is more than enough for essentials, especially since most have pretty sad Pok?mon. Besides trainer carry quite a bit of money on them, and one win could be a massive savings. They may even deposit it, so the half you get is half of what they are carrying, but they may have more at home.

Years
    Hmm, never thought about a discount...
    Besides, I dunno about bad gym leaders, at least in the show. In the game, they are the saddest bunch of people. Geez, I mean, Pikachu gets beat up by a Vigaroth and all it used was Scratch! (and whatever that last move is called)

Too bad Ash didn't tell Pikachu to use Thunder, but then again, I sorta understand. It's Thunder could probalby wipe out the gym itself!

Ice Lugia

Author and Role-Player
    Years
    You'll notice that when you lose a trainer battle, you lose half of your money. I assume that the gym leaders recieve half of their opponent's money after a win. They may lose and have to give away cash, but since they no doubt have some saved up, it does generate an income. An alternative would be reciving a certain amount from the Pokemon League, though where they'd get the money is beyond me. Ticket sales only go so far.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I'd say that in the pokemon world, the pokemon league is the most powerful source of income anywhere...everyone seems obsessed with pokemon...pokemon's popularity hugely overshadows that of any other major sport. The pokemon league, I figure, has a hand in all aspects of life and probably has a pokemon-related product for anything. Gym Leaders probably make a salary proportional to how many trainers they defeat a month, and also they have the right to take half of a losing trainer's money. It seems to be a very lucrative profession, but only the top pokemon trainers in their respective elemental fields could ever hope to attain gym leader status. Pokemon masters have a reputation to defend, after all. They need the best in the business to bring honor to the pokemon league.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Here is the way I see it:

Pokemon gyms are appointed by the Pokemon League. I still recall that one episode where the villagers wre afraid of pokemon trainers because the two local gyms were fighting to be recognized as official.

Also, Like any member of an organization, I believe that the gym leaders are paid by teh pokemon league with a set salary. otherwise maintaining the gyms would be rather difficult.

my final point, is that in the game, when a trainer loses thay pay up half their money to the winner. THis is a form of income and also an incentive to avoid losing. so gym leaders train up strong because they 1. don't want to be considered a weak gym, and 2. want to get paid that extra commission.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    Hmm......I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!

Multiply the amount you give the gym leader with the .... number of days in a year + THE MONEY THE POKEMON LEAGUE gives then subtract that with the fees for healing stuff.

Holy Cow!! >< Only FIVE DOLLARS?

Years
    hmm... 5 bucks...
    It's a start!

I agree with Pogiforce-14. Those reasons seem logical.
    Although I'd have to argue with the take-half-my-money-if-I-lose thing. Gyms with a losing streak wouldn't be able to get back on their feet easily and trainers would have a hard time defeating gym leaders if they have a ton of money and the trainer doesn't.

P.S. Pok?mon gym leaders are NOT Pok?mon Masters, just an expert in their elemental class.

IceKitten

Sneasel! Ice Beam!
    Years
    Ash's Pikachu used Thunder against Roxanne's pokemon? He knows theat it's useless, he's still a nub ._.

Anyway Gymleaders might get payed by how well they do in a gym, from ?10-?100 depending on their skill.

Winona won ?80 today!

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    dqle said:
    hmm... 5 bucks...
    It's a start!

I agree with Pogiforce-14. Those reasons seem logical.
    Although I'd have to argue with the take-half-my-money-if-I-lose thing. Gyms with a losing streak wouldn't be able to get back on their feet easily and trainers would have a hard time defeating gym leaders if they have a ton of money and the trainer doesn't.

P.S. Pok?mon gym leaders are NOT Pok?mon Masters, just an expert in their elemental class.
    If the gym leader is on such a losing streak they have no money to keep up, then maybe the league would replace them. =\ I'm sure they don't want poor gym leaders holding their badges.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I think his Luvdisc knows Attract or something (its only redeeming quality)...and for some reason I have the worst luck when someone uses attract against me. I personally hate Wallace's Luvdisc (even moreso than I hate Luvdiscs in general...they sicken me...)

Kairi

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    They never make the gym leaders too difficult in the games really, I was just giving an example. @_@;

Back