• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do u hate it wen ppl tlk liek dis?

Kenpari

¯\(°_o)/¯ I DUNNO LOL
Years
  • I almost didn't click on this thread until I just managed to see what it was really about by just finishing the reading of it before I clicked on another link...

So that would answer the question.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2010
    I loath it. Ultimately, I end up typing out my rambling paragraph faster than they type that jarbled mess because there is no way they can type like that without thinking about it. They have to intentionally spell everything wrong, which causes their subconscious mind to stop or slow down. It makes someone just LOOK young and unintelligent. I never take them seriously and I never read what they type.

Note, it's kind of like that with excessive emoticons too. I can tell someone using excessive emoticons is under the age of 21 and regardless of their age: I don't like them.

Edit: This post INCLUDES my hatred for "u" instead of "you". Any shortening like that and I generally either ignore them or from that point on imagine them as an eight year old. No one over the age of eight should not know how to spell "you". It's two keystrokes more to type it the right way instead of the wrong way. Those two keystrokes literally take less than a second.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't hate if people type, or even talk, in colloquial or slang language. This is because, well, it's their choice to type however they want. I know some people who get the same grades as me in English, however, when it comes to Facebook they type in slang. It means that they can type properly, they just choose not to.

What's wrong with that?

That's not to say everyone can type properly. The people who type in colloquials all the time, well, I still don't hate them because it's their choice. However, they reall should think of improving it at least for important tasks.

Ayselipera

I only type like that when I'm joking around. Although when I was younger and just started using aim I did it a little more then anyone should be allowed to. I find it a little annoying when I see someone type like that. It's great and all that you're a qualified gangster, but you really don't need to silently tell me through your text.

Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2016
    If I'm talking to a friend on aim/skype or whatever then sometimes I'll talk silly just because there are in-jokes between me and the person. But if it's on a public forum that anybody can read, I like to speak with proper grammar and spelling-- bad grammar and spelling just makes yourself look bad to people you don't even know.

Druid

she's not anyone...
    Years
  • To a certain degree, yes. But most of the time I'm perfectly fine with imperfect grammar, even if the correct way to type the word(s) is obvious. Why? Because the person got their point across.

We type to communicate a message, not to show our skills at English. Plus, the internet has created a whole new way of expressing ourselves, even if it may seem lazy and stupid to the average English scholar. Leaving out capitals and apostrophes shouldn't be a federal offense in my books, and misspelling words is fine as long as it's not on purpose and there's a reason the writer didn't check it over. In an MSN conversation, words move fast and the idea is to get your point across. u can understad me perfectly if i talk like ths.

On a forum, though, some people might be less forgiving, but I even find that a bit too strict for the internet. You don't have to write everything on the internet as if you're writing a novel, and why should you? Professional authors get payed to write well. Forum posters shouldn't be refused access because they put a dash instead of a semi-colon.

Of Cersse, I Doo Have A Problem If Ppl Tipe There Sentances Liek This All The Time. As I said before, there has to be a purpose to the grammar infractions.

i didnt proofread this post

WolfgangWhiplash

Heavy Metal Bulldozer
    Years
  • Just here to say...

I hate it when people on IRC chats and forums type without capital letters.

Like this:

Randomguy: hi

It just makes me go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

But that's me being picky. As of everything else, people get more interesting when they type properly, at least for me. Of course I can befriend a guy that tyepes liek dis, but it still makes me twitch a bit. I get used to it quick.

But I don't mind stuff like "tbh", "imo", "ofc" and "btw".

Pyonkotchi

THREAD KILLER
    Years
  • I do hate chatspeak. But its mostly because Im pretty used to people typing properly. even on IM
    so when I chat with some of my IRL friends on MSN or something and I see all kinds of chatspeak
    it does kinda bother me. I have no problem with LOL OMG ROFL GTG BRB etc
    i don't care if you forget to capitalize a letter or something

but when ppl start 2 tlk lyk dis n riitin evrything shortr then it bugs me. Even if its joking. Typing like that isn't funny anymore B|

When Every Letter In Every Word Capital. That bogs me too
    But S33iNg PpL TyP LyK DiiS oN MySpAc3 oR FaCeB00k aNd MaKInG 3vErY oThEr LeTtEr CaPz is even more annoying

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Some really good posts. I also understand however how you can still understand them but I just don't like how it looks. I am a major grammar Nazi. Don't get me wrong however I wont crack it at you. Haha. I also understand that people make mistakes, I admitt everyone does including me. But you can tell when it is typed intentionaly or just a common mistake.

Meh, people have the right to type in the way they want to. Good for them hey, I was always taught from my parents to use proper spelling and grammar. My mum and dad think it is rude, I support that however not as strongly. I just believe that the use of slang is rude in situations where you are talking to important people or on forums of discussion.

For example I wouldn't type a letter to my principal saying: "Heyz how r u? i am gud. hope fingz are gud ovah ur end ect."
    I would have written: Hello, how are you? I am good, how about you? Have a nice day. - (My name here.)

And just to think though things would sound a lot different without proper punctuation.
    Another example: 1. No Puncuation - "Can I eat grandma?" 2. With Puncutation - Can I eat, Grandma?"

So yes, keep discussing. Have fun.

Last edited:

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't hate it so much. As long as it's understandable, it's fine with me. If people type like that, then it's their problem, not mine.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • If they don't put any effort into typing properly, I sure won't put in any effort into tolerating it.
    Fair deal is fair.

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I just remembered something...

It REALLY bugs me when people Type Like This And Capitalize Every Word In Their Sentence. I'm totally cool with people who can't write properly, but those who capitalize every word in their sentence drive me crazy! I have no idea why.

Well, it's not like I jump on them when they do. I agonize over it mentally. :P

Eeohnex

Illuminate
    Years
  • I don't mind when people talk like that as long as I can understand what they are saying, no problemo. But then they start talking like this: T@1k T0 M3 L1k3 tH15 it's just irritating.

Last edited:

Dawn

Years
  • Making yourself look intelligent is incredibly easy. You just take a quarter of a second to capitalize the first word in every sentence, the word "I" and put a period, question mark, or exclamation mark at the end.

Boom

what im not an idiot <--- Makes you forgettable, in short

is turned into

What? Im not an idiot. <--- Even though it's not great, it still looks over 9000 times better.

This is why I don't bother with people who won't bother trying to type correctly.

I'm good friends with people who quite frankly type like a drunk horse. I don't mind, however, because they try.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Yus, I do.
    But in fact I always spell words wrong for more "points".
    But no I hate it when people add on extra letters and you can just see this whole entire row of e's and a's and etc.. It's like GAH GET A LIFE PLEASE! Don't you have something else to be doing except just holding down that key?
    I also like trying to read things that don't make sense like 1337 speak wtf is this and how can you people type like that? D=

Dawn

Years
  • I believe holding a sound like that is not incorrect. ._.
    It's simply dialog. After all, offline, in speech, it is not odd at all for human being to say something like "aw" only holding it to make it longer. Some other common words this is done to are "or", "maybe", "no", "yes"...

Point made.

Pass!on

I'll go swimmin' in your eyes
    Years
  • I really don't care.
    Honestly I find grammar nazis way more irritating than txt talk.
    This is probably because I'm used to txt talk after texting and using fb so much.

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I'm kind of like a closet Grammar Nazi. It pisses me off, but I don't call anyone out on it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'm kind of like a closet Grammar Nazi. It pisses me off, but I don't call anyone out on it.

(Watch the language there budy..)

I do consider my self as a grammar nazi but I do make mistakes like everyone here and there. And the face that how P3OPL3 TYP3 L1K3 TH1S, it takes too long for me to type like that. Plus proper grammar, spelling and punctuation looks better anyday. In my opinion.

Back