• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do we create the "Perfect" versions of ourselves online?

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I think that in some ways my 'online self' is just a refined version of my 'real-life' self, mostly for the sake of simplicity and weeding out the extra bits that would be unnecessary here (mostly that personal 'you had to be there' kind of stuff), not really changing my personality or anything of that nature. I'm still me no matter how you slice it.

I also think that since forums inherently lack the nonverbal stuff of real life, there is just by default going to be a whole lot of missing pieces and lack of depth to who you appear to be to people online. Personally I prefer in-person interaction, but some people find it relieving to not have to worry about as many factors when talking to people. But no matter how you look at it, on the net, you are what you write, with little else to go on - so at least I try to make it count! :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What you get online is what you'll get offline from me, give or take a few things. For example, I'm actually very shy in person, however online, I'll just go VM random people all the time. I NEVER go talk to random people irl. And online, I probably swear more. Don't really swear much, if not at all, irl. So yeah, there are a few differences here and there, but ultimately, I'm the same online as I am in person. Oh. And. In person. You wouldn't have to ask me if I'm male or female. ...Hopefully, anyway. lol

Last edited:

Masqueraine

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2011
    I don't see why we wouldn't.

At least I do. And honestly I think we all do, the perfect you is you, and online is a wicked easy platform to freely express who you are. I don't see why staying true to yourself means not being the perfect you.

That being said it goes to show just how imperfect we are. XD

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, I totally agree and I have thought of it before. It bothered me that my personality irl won't match my internet self. I mean I probably wouldn't even talk like that.
    I'm not that social irl.. yet in internet, I'm in a forum full of people and I find some interesting; so it's easy to start and continue a conversation.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    i dont think so. people just become who they want to become. understanding someone online is far different than understanding someone IRL. it may seem that they are being this mature person but in their head, they've toned it differently.

are trolls perfect? i doubt it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    IRL, I'm pretty calm and steady whilst online I give off this hyperactive personality. When you mix that with my argumentative side, I look like a 12 year old kid with too much time on his hands.

It's a shame how easily one's identity can be mistaken and I'm too stubborn to try to change myself so people can see who I really am. Not my problem.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    My real life persona is slightly different from what I'm like online. However, it is nowhere perfect. I'm still the very humored and humble Asian everyone knows me by but I tend to be more immature in real life. It's just that when I'm online, I can sit down and do almost anything more calmly than I would have when I'm under pressure in reality.

My grammar also improves by 10x; I make many mistakes in real life when talking... haha. XD; It's just more easier to type something down than speaking.

Years
    i dont think so. people just become who they want to become. understanding someone online is far different than understanding someone IRL. it may seem that they are being this mature person but in their head, they've toned it differently.

are trolls perfect? i doubt it.

True. People create these facades in order to get by the limitations and/or pressures put on them by "normal" society. Here, you can be whomever you chose to be. Which is why internet forums are so popular.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    I can't say that I do, but i've known plenty of people who have. ^^;

ضاد ضاد

لول انا في الجزء السفلي للغاية
    Years
    Creating the perfect me is want we want it to be.

Except for photoshop. (lol I couldn't help but to post this)
    Do we create the "Perfect" versions of ourselves online?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    There is really no reason for me to hind anything both online and real life. I just don't see the point of trying to become the "perfect" person to certain peoples eyes. It's very hard for most people to see if a person is acting the same way online as they do offline for a person that does know you, but my friends can tell that I act exactly the same both ways.

:t354:TG

Back