• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you care about your Pokemon's genders?

Years
  • So, you may know most Pokemon have genders.

But do you actually like catching Pokemon with a certain gender?

For me, I always like my Lopunny, Manectric, Golduck, Roserade, Skuntank, Ambipom, Minccino, Cinccino, Azumarill, Gothitelle and Gardevoir at least female.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2016
    if the gender differences don't look very good to me

for example, i prefer male Vileplumes than the female ones- the spots are too large on the female ones and distracting.

also i hate looking at the female Hippowdon, brown suits the species better. Also like the male blue Jellicent better and the male Unfezant looks more interesting with the mask- the female just looks a bit bland. Female Wobbuffets give me nightmares :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I try to make my team all-male (if applicable). I settle for females if I can't be bothered looking for a male with the right IVs and nature.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I'm a breeder, so of course I care about the genders of my Pokémon. I always try to get a female of a rare Pokémon so that I could churn out some more to distribute to everyone else in need. Also, I always try to find ways to breed a better Pokémon, through the use of certain egg moves.

When it comes to the Dream World, any Pokémon that I get has to be a female, if at all possible. Otherwise, the session is a bust.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2015
    When I was playing FR LG, I always HAD to have my pokemon Male. When I saw my Charizard was Female, (Level 100), I released it.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I did, like when RSE first came out, my friend told me that the gender actually affected IV's as in the females usually had weaker IV's. I'd always catch males, I was so sexist.

But I found out eventually, and I felt really stupid. Now, gender doesn't really matter. I aim for natures now.

Neosquid

♦ Darkness ♦
    Years
  • I usually use male Pokemon, but unless the Pokemon looks kinda weird as a female (like Machamp), I have no problem with them being female. I plan to make a Hydreigon Im going to breed for female so my new OU team wont be all male, so I get some variety.

And of course, some Pokemon like Mawile I prefer being female.

Years
  • Honestly I can care less about genders. If there is a wild pokemon I want on my team, I'll catch it. I won't go "OMG ITS A BOY I GOTTA KEEP WALKING UNTIL I FIND A FEMALE" which can take awhile.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Well it really depends what I'm trying to do with the Pokemon. For instance for specific breeding purposes I may want females that can pass on DW abilities and such, however I may also want males for passing on specific egg moves. So it does often matter.

However sometimes I like having specific genders for naming and icon (or personal) purposes for instance my favorite "Gorebyss" is my beautiful female one named, "Porcelina". When I was breeding my Gorebyss to perfection I scrapped all of the Male Clamperls until I got that one perfect female. She's my favorite Gorebyss.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    Yes, because I spend a lot of time breeding. Also, because I usually think of funny names in advance that are sort of gender specific, so if it isn't the right gender I'll pass it up in the name of funny.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Honestly I dont care anymore. I use to care back in Pokemon Crystal but ever since I knew the percentage of Pokemon (especially now in Pokemon Black and White) I can careless because it is not worth the wait to find a rare Pokemon and if it is a wrong gender, time to waste another hour looking for one.

:t354:TG

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • To me it depends on the pokemon. Male looking mean male. Same for female. Though I always try to balance my team with 3 males and 3 females. Dosent always work though. :D

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I like to have monsters of both genders, or ideally genderless (ex. Porygon), to counter attraction.
    There are some I prefer to be specific genders, for instance Gardevoir and Mienshao as female, but I don't generally care.

WeegeeMan

I haz Pokumawnz
    Years
  • I don't really care that much, although sometimes the Pokemon's gender does affect the nickname I give it.

Like, for example, if I had a female Pokemon I might name it Joanne, but for a male Pokemon it would be Joe. That sort of thing. (Note: I do not actually give my Pokemon human names like that. Usually their type or species has something to do with it.)

I suppose certain Pokemon's stats will differ between different genders, although most of the time not much will really change. So, it really doesn't matter what gender your Pokemon is, unless you're a VERY specific collector or a breeder, or simply like a certain gender of Pokemon.

Lezza

The Guy who loves Braviarys
    Years
  • I somtimes perfer a male to female and vise versa because they suit my nicknames better, Like if my Simisage was female I would of called it maple ect.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I care sometimes, like if the nickname I want affects the gender. For example, I wanted a male Gothita to name it BornThsWay. And then there are some gender differences I prefer. Male Jellicent and Unfezant > Female Jellicent and Unfezant.

Years
  • I care sometimes, like if the nickname I want affects the gender. For example, I wanted a male Gothita to name it BornThsWay. And then there are some gender differences I prefer. Male Jellicent and Unfezant > Female Jellicent and Unfezant.

I have a Jellicent and Unfezant in Black and they are both female.

Back