• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you consume your media alone?

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
    I normally consume all my media alone. Games, movies, books, music. Unless it's a movie like a comedy or horror movie where it's better to watch with friends, I always prefer to watch alone. I like to just relax when I'm playing a game, reading a book, or listening to music. Other people just ruin the experience. Unless I'm watching sports. Because who doesn't love to get pumped with your friends while watching your favorite teams?

I just realized how much of a loner I sound like because of this post :P Oh well.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I watch TV with my family and movies with them occasionally. Other media like anime, music, youtube videos, I will watch it alone, but always discuss it with my friends in school.

Elixir.

Fly Away
    Years
    There are very few people that I know that share the same interests as me, so I usually do things alone. My little brother shares my love of anime, so at least I can talk to him about it, but other than that. I don't mind doing things alone, though.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Not always, but it's becoming the increasing majority of the time, given that very few of my peers are into the same entertainment that I am. TV and films, especially, are solitary adventures about 90% of the time. Listening to music is something that I've always associated with headphones and iPods, so that doesn't really suggest a communal experience. I've never gone to a music concert by myself though, so that's saying something, I guess! The main times I go to the theatre are when my parents visit, so I guess that's communal. (Although I have gone to a few shows by myself, so it's not even a 100% with-people ratio for that one!) And books, yeah. That's solitary too. It might be nice to be part of a book club, but I don't read enough to feel confident in offering opinions and whatnot.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
    I'll talk about a book with you, but I won't really sit down with you and read it together, fresh. It's sorta awkward to have someone watching you read. With music it depends: somethings it's a solidary affair but mostly I love to do it with other people, you get so many more new sounds and might picked up on things you might miss. TV and films are the social event of the century here haha.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
    90% of the time when I'm not working I am alone, so naturally I take in my media alone.
    There are a few people in my life in the past who have made me feel bad for liking most of the things I like, so I'm actually very self-conscious about it and I have a very hard time sharing my interests with others. I'd like to meet someone someday that can make me feel comfortable with my interests but I'm not getting my hopes up.

It does suck because I would really love to be able to discuss my favorite artists and animes and games with people.

Years
    I'd rather do all my things alone, although in the case of movies and tv I don't mind if people walking by want to stop and watch. Usually. Actually, I guess most movies I see nowadays I have my husband with me anyway, so I guess those are the one exception?

This is in part due to hating waiting on other people just to do things - if I want to watch something, I'd rather watch it now, not later on (especially when I'm not sure when "later" will be). Also with some things - like anime and such - I get really self-conscious if I know others know I'm watching it, so. Yeah. I watch alone if I can.

(Also, watching alone means I can avoid hearing questions from others like "what's happening?" "who is that guy?" "is he a bad guy?" I DON'T KNOW JUST PAY ATTENTION OKAY.)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I tend to watch things with my sister or with a close friend of mine when we decided on watching something. In the case of my sister it's normally things on Netflix that one of us has decided to watch and the other one simply joins in and watches with 'em. In the other case (with a close friends) normally it's either a rewatch for one of us, or a rewatch for one of us and a new watch for both. Either way watching with a friend is normally slower than watching with my sister but since it's normally a rewatch for at least one of us it's not too much of a bother.

Then, of course, there are things that I simply watch alone because no one is in the same mood as I am for whatever I am watching.

Years
    A majority of time that I watch any movies or TV I'll do it with my others. There aren't many movies/shows that I'll go out of my way to watch, so generally I'll just watch whatever's already on with whoever was watching it. The only exception to that is usually sports, since I'd much rather focus on what's happening than those that are around me.

Watching Youtube videos or listening to music I prefer to do alone, though. Not that I don't mind watching with others, but if there's something specific I want to watch/listen to, chances are that others may not want to as well.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
    Most of the time I'm alone, but I watch new episodes of Doctor Who with my other Whovian friends.

But I don't mind watching shows with other people.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    Video Games: No. My brother or my friends are usually there. It automatically makes it 936,279,632,104,383 times better.
    Music: Yes. Nobody else in my house has the same tastes as me. They like Rap, Country, and Modern Pop, while I like Classic Rock, Folk Rock, and some blues. We're kinda at opposite ends here
    T.V: Mostly no. I watch a ton of T.V. at night when everyone else is asleep but during the day, somebody is usually there watching it with me.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    I always, always, always prefer to watch things by myself.

If it's a tv show, I like to be able to pause and rewind things I didn't hear. Also, there aren't too many people who'd watch shows with me who have the same interests. (e.g, not my parents, not my roommates.)

If it's music, never in my life have I shown a person a song to listen together. Even with something like a roommate who doesn't care about me playing music loudly, I'll still wear headphones.

Back