• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you ever use walkthroughs?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    The only walkthrough I had to use was for Ruby, because I got lost every time I start playing the game. For other games, I never use a walkthrough at all.

PPB_All-Stars

Duelist and Beyblader
    Years
    only one time ever, i was lost on my first playthrough of XD, after that, never needed them. I always preferred to work pokemon out on my own!

Gilgαmesh

No, not really. I even buy the guides for the games and I don't read the guides until after I beat the game, just out of curiosity of reading them afterwards. I would honestly feel bad for reading a walkthrough of a Pokemon game, because most of the stuff would be self-explanatory and not that hard to figure out. .__.;

Misty Fan

Water Pokemon Master
    Years
    I only use walkthroughs as a last resort. If i look everywhere and cant figure out what to do then i use a walkthrough. Maybe Emerald was the only time, well the only time i can remember and that was to find Magmas hideout.

Nameless.

No, I don't typically use walkthroughs. I'm not a big fan of them, unless it's for a game I know I'll never play.
    Then I just watch for fun! :D

As for Pokemon? I only watch/read them when I'm completely stuck on a certain part and I need help. Like for White, I used it a good chunk since I'm not a fast/good reader when it comes to Japanese. I can only read bits and pieces. I used Marriland's walkthrough for it mainly. ;x;

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    i use them if i really get stuck somewhere, but if i don't need to, i try not to

Guest123_x1

About a year after (2000-01) I started with the games, I began using walkthrough guides, and continued to do so for the most part until I parted with the games in 2006.

Novia

Psyduck Fangirl <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2011
    In Pokemon Platinum I was really confused about what to do halfway through the game when you're dealing with all the random team Galactic related events so I had to use a walkthrough to finish. Other than that I don't really use them, I like to try to figure things out on my own if it's possible.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    i occasionally use walkthroughs. the last time i did was on my japanese black game since i cant read japanese very well i couldnt figure out where they were telling me to go

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't think I've ever used a walkthrough for a Pokemon game. I do, however, sometimes utilize stuff like online Pokedexes to figure out how a Pokemon of mine evolves or what moves I'll miss out on when they evolve and things like that. I also usually can't ever find small yet important things like HMs, and so usually I'll have to look up how to get those too. Aside from that, though, I don't follow walkthroughs at all.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Before I used them, but seeing as it ruined the later of my experiences with The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past for Game Boy Advance, Rocket: Robot On Wheels for the Nintendo 64 and how they suck out the "discovery" part of videogames, I am now on a strict anti-walkthrough policy, with the last few walkthrough-ish things I checked being how to beat Tabuu and dodge his Off-Waves in the Subspace Emissary (THAT ONE BOSS) and how to make a CD Factory in Brawl (because the randomness was just...crappy).

I used a walkthrough for FireRed mainly because my first playthroughs were focused on getting "one-off Pokemon" (i.e., Squirtle and Bulbasaur, Omanyte, Hitmonlee, etc.) In my "permanent" file, I shall refrain from using walkthroughs (but my GOSH - Rock Tunnel, Kanto Victory Road, and Lost Cave are going to be so difficult to traverse through).

Most likely, the only time I shall consider walkthroughs in the future are when:

• I am attempting to solve puzzles, but I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT figure them out (which should not occur often, as long as I have willpower and perseverance),
    • I am double-checking for any potential LOST FOREVER!!! moments or items during gameplay
    • , and discovering any secrets that I happened to miss on past playthroughs.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    Dont like using walkthrus for the most of the game. IMO, they take out the fun by telling you where to go. But I do use them to find specific pokemon, legends, and items. Also pokemon trainers' teams.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Yup. But I'm a complete coward and like to literally know everything about the game before I play it. Had proper walkthrough books for playing Blue, Gold and Sapphire (and they were abused the hell out of: pages were torn, spines cracked and thumb marks everywhere). Nowadays I just use a combination of GameFAQs and Bulbapedia to see me through the game. I have no idea how I'd manage to even complete the games without one, unfortunately...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Yes, when I have the chance, I do use (and collect now, it seems >>) game guides. But considering I'm a little low on funding, that hobby has been kinda postponed, and whenever I need to get through Victory Road or find Pokémon evolution charts or something I look up a guide online or just BS my way through it.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I only use walkthroughs if I'm stuck on a certain part of the game. (Relic Castle and Ice Path, for example.)

Back