• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you find the GTS vital?

Years
  • Very useful for getting pokemon you need and I used it heaps, trades will happen pretty quickly if you propose a reasonable trade. The reason there are so many "offering pikachu, want lugia" trades and the like is because they are rubbish, no one ever takes them and they sit there forever while any fair trades disappear quickly.

It's much easier to offer a pokemon you don't need for one you do need (fair trade) than go searching for the one you need and have to wade through all the rubbish.

Years
  • I think the GTS is very vital. Yes, there are a lot of greedy people on there, but I find that posting what you want gets you a trade faster. I have also been able to snatch up a few legendaries for level 91+ common Pokemon. I don't have any friends irl to trade with and the Wonder Trade is worst that the GTS, in my opinion. If it wasn't for the GTS I would never have gotten very far in completing my Pokedex.

When you offer a Pokemon for trade, what helps me is putting "For NatDex" as my message. I get a trade within 30 mins of posting, of course, make the trade reasonable to a point.

If you know how to look and how to negotiate, it is very, very useful.

bulbakush

Spends Time In Other Realms!!!
    Years
  • I've gotten some pokemon from there like Dratini(by luck) and some other good ones. Like everyone else says, the only annoying part is the endless request for legendaries. I understand legends for legends but legends for starters and such isn't worth it in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    Well i think the gts is pretty fu**** up, at the launch day all pokemon demands were reasonable, but now, as people said here its pretty ridiculous, if im looking for a pidgey im not going to give my xerneas, thats obvious. The only reasonable exchanges are legendaries for legendaries, but theres a problem here anyway, i was looking for a kyogre, and someone asked for a xerneas (luckily i restarted my game like 4 times and thanks to pokebank i was having all the xerneas from each run), what a surprise when i got the kyogre and it was hacked T_T again i looked for a rayquaza, some guy was asking for a xerneas, again rayquaza hacked, it happenes me with almost every legendary, the only legendary that wasnt hacked from GTS was an yveltal, the ones i have now obtained from GTS are: Kyogre, Dialga, Virizon, Rayquaza, all hacked, no pentagon + that girl who looks on pokemon memories(i dont know her english name as i play my game in my native lengague(spanish)), saying that sentence that confirm a poke is hacked... i really dont know what to do with this pokes, i like them but, i cant trade it to anyone, i dont want other people to get hacked pokes, maybe its just my bad luck to get those pokes, but still im not going to use gts never again, unless gamefreak does something with hacked pokes.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    what a surprise when i got the kyogre and it was hacked T_T again i looked for a rayquaza, some guy was asking for a xerneas, again rayquaza hacked, it happenes me with almost every legendary, the only legendary that wasnt hacked from GTS was an yveltal, the ones i have now obtained from GTS are: Kyogre, Dialga, Virizon, Rayquaza, all hacked, no pentagon + that girl who looks on pokemon memories(i dont know her english name as i play my game in my native lengague(spanish)), saying that sentence that confirm a poke is hacked... i really dont know what to do with this pokes, i like them but, i cant trade it to anyone, i dont want other people to get hacked pokes, maybe its just my bad luck to get those pokes, but still im not going to use gts never again, unless gamefreak does something with hacked pokes.
    Those Pokemon aren't necessarily hacked. Pokemon from Gen 5 and earlier transported to X/Y lack the blue pentagon and don't have any recorded memories. All the blue pentagon means is that the Pokemon was not born or caught in Kalos (which is the case for all pokes sent to Gen 6 via the Transporter). Pokemon from games older than Gen 6 lack memories because the whole memory thing didn't exist till X/Y.

Better signs of a hacked Pokemon are if it was caught in a place it can't ever be legitimately caught (like a Xerneas that says it was caught on Route 4), or if it has moves it can't legitimately know (like a Gyarados that knows Solarbeam) or if it has an Ability that it can't legitimately have (like a Krookodile that has Water Absorb).

Years
  • Though the GTS may not be vital, it's definitely helpful for people who don't have friends who own the game/don't have access to an online community and need to complete the Dex.

Also, every once in a while, if you get lucky, you can snag a legendary for almost nothing on your part.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    For me it's been almost essential for specific Pokémon, although, I don't have to use it since I have a very reliable buddy who has a living Pokédex so anything bar Legendaries are achievable. But for the most part, my completed Pokédex(es) are thanks to the GTS and my hard work :p

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Not really. I can import whatever I need. I was impatient and wanted my Slurpuff, so I prowled for that; a lot went fast, but I finally got one. Of course, I got the item for it later and could have done it anytime. La meh.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2014
    I didn't really understand the GTS when I first used it, a couple of days ago. I put my shiny luvdisc up and asked for a Clefable... thinking people could offer anything and I'd be able to review my offers. But I was wrong, went into it before and I automatically got sent a Clefable. :/ I don't though, the Luvdisc was incredibly easy to find and I'm sure I'll get another one.

Also, when I look through all the available trades, everyone is asking for legendaries. But you can't search for legendaries? Or I can't anyway. I wanted to find a Articuno, but Articuno isn't in the list of pokemon you can look for. Am I being stupid, or do I need to do something different?

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • I didn't really understand the GTS when I first used it, a couple of days ago. I put my shiny luvdisc up and asked for a Clefable... thinking people could offer anything and I'd be able to review my offers. But I was wrong, went into it before and I automatically got sent a Clefable. :/ I don't though, the Luvdisc was incredibly easy to find and I'm sure I'll get another one.

Also, when I look through all the available trades, everyone is asking for legendaries. But you can't search for legendaries? Or I can't anyway. I wanted to find a Articuno, but Articuno isn't in the list of pokemon you can look for. Am I being stupid, or do I need to do something different?
    You can search for other legendaries through the GTS, the reason why you can't find an articuno is because the search options only register the pokemon that you had encountered in the game. To find the legendaries that you haven't encountered, you should manually type the name of the legendary pokemon in the 'what pokemon?' option at the very bottom of the alphabet list by scrolling down. Have fun though, cause everyone offering an articuno are asking for gen 2-5 legendaries only.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2014
    Thanks Sebastian! That makes sense I guess. I was wondering why I couldn't see starters from Johto and stuff too.

Eh, looks like I won't be getting an Articuno any time soon then. =/ I came across a Zapdos in game, but it immediately fled. Hopefully I'll find an Articuno and be a bit more lucky!

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • Thanks Sebastian! That makes sense I guess. I was wondering why I couldn't see starters from Johto and stuff too.

Eh, looks like I won't be getting an Articuno any time soon then. =/ I came across a Zapdos in game, but it immediately fled. Hopefully I'll find an Articuno and be a bit more lucky!
    um, you do know that the legendary birds are determined by your starters right?
    Articuno - Chespin
    Zapdos - Fennekin
    Moltres - Froakie

You can only get one bird per save. So the only way to acquire the Articuno is by catching the zapdos (google the method cause it also confused me at first) and trade it online through the deposit function of the GTS, or you can restart the game and select Chespin as your starter to encounter the Articuno later in the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2014
    No I didn't know that. xD I don't really know much about the game, I haven't had it that long lol. Thanks for letting me know, I'll most probably try and catch that Zapdos then and trade him off for Articuno.

Thanks for the advice. ^^

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2015
    Those Pokemon aren't necessarily hacked. Pokemon from Gen 5 and earlier transported to X/Y lack the blue pentagon and don't have any recorded memories. All the blue pentagon means is that the Pokemon was not born or caught in Kalos (which is the case for all pokes sent to Gen 6 via the Transporter). Pokemon from games older than Gen 6 lack memories because the whole memory thing didn't exist till X/Y.

Better signs of a hacked Pokemon are if it was caught in a place it can't ever be legitimately caught (like a Xerneas that says it was caught on Route 4), or if it has moves it can't legitimately know (like a Gyarados that knows Solarbeam) or if it has an Ability that it can't legitimately have (like a Krookodile that has Water Absorb).

wow really??? woah that changes my mind a lot, thank you for the info, i didnt know that :D
    but my rayquaza and kyogre says it came from Hoenn, is that possible? :/

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    wow really??? woah that changes my mind a lot, thank you for the info, i didnt know that :D
    but my rayquaza and kyogre says it came from Hoenn, is that possible? :/
    Rayquaza and Kyogre made their debut in the Hoenn games (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald), so yes, they can be from Hoenn.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Yes, anything from 252 thru 386 can easily be from Hoenn. And some things before that also appear there. If it's 387 (Turtwig) or higher, and claims to be from Hoenn, then it would be a fake.

Of course, some Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos COULD show up there in November's new games. How many remains at question, and I think the original listings will remain mostly intact, including Route 116 which was home to my Shiny Nincada before I captured it. However, I don't think importing from the Gen. III editions into the new Hoenn will allow their original catch locations to be restored. Highly doubt it. It will be interesting to carry it through time and have the information say "came from Hoenn" while traveling in Hoenn. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I'm looking for a foreign male pokemon from Eevee's egg group. EVERYONE wants Legendaries for their level 1-30 diglett, ponyta, etc. I cannot find ANYTHING. The GTS is useless. This website is much better.

Some people are even asking for like level 1-10 Gloom. How can that you even do that? Why on Earth would they want to have a level 1-10 gloom? Do they not realize that it is impossible to have that without hacking? Or a Level 91+ Doduo. What would one want a 91+ Dodou for? Why would they put a crap Pokemon up for trade on there and of all things, ask for a 91+ Doduo?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Legendaries for a Diglett? This proves that there are idiots (or young kids, which is another story) on the GTS. Catch Dugtrio and breed with Dito. WHAMMO, you have a Diglett.

Of course, if the GTS ones have special moves and hidden abilities, and are female, they might be worth a legendary...

Years
  • I've just recently become a bit obsessed with the GTS haha, I'm working on my Vivillon collection so I guess in my case yes I would say that it's vital :)

It's also been really good for getting other things I wanted like starters and Magmar; yes most people seem to want legendaries but if you keep looking you usually end up getting reasonable and interesting deals :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2020
    I've found the GTS Pretty useful this time around. Been able to get the pokemon I ask for off it pretty easily and with very little wait time. o3o

Back