• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do You Keep Your Starter Pokemon??

Do you keep your starter in your team??

• Yes

Votes: 449 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 90 16.7%

• Total voters

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
Years
  • I've always kept my starter, I've always had the feeling "this is my first pokemon from this game... how could I ever not have him/her in my team". I don't think played through any mains series pokemon game (I own them all) without keeping my starter in my team, however part of me does want to play through a game where I trade poochyena with my starter and use that as if it were my starter (mightyena is my favourite pokemon) but so far I've only ever used it with my starter rather than instead of.

TehPsychicTypeMaster

"I See Greatness In You..."
    Years
  • I have a habit of keeping my starter in the game ALWAYS...idk why. But I grew up with that Pokemon, so I see it as "Why should I even remove this?" I keep my starter to the end, if I don't I'll feel as though I betrayed it in some way.

CrazyJake265

The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2011
    Yes, always. I feel like i have a personal bond with the starters that no other pokemon can beat. Feraligatr is still my main water pokemon

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
    Years
  • After I beat the elite 4 the first time I start trading in Pokemon from other games to have a more powerful team. My starter usually has bad stats because it ends up getting a bad nature and that can hurt when I'm challenging the Kanto gym leaders or the battle frontier so I always just dump my starter in the PC or trade it for something better on GTS.

Ghostrk9

learning new information!
    Years
  • well, in hg/ss the best starter (to me) is totodile. this is really bad cause it uses attack better and nearly all his moves r special its really hard to ohko a graveler somethimes! rock and ground and i still cant! i do with another water type. slowking or poliwrath

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    With every game I play, I always keep my starter in my party. I have always believe that if the starter you choose isn't one you plan to keep around, perhaps your choice of starter is the wrong one for you. Starters invariable become one of the strongest Pokemon in your team, if only because it is the Pokemon you first start out with on your journey with. So it often gathers more experience than any of the others as a result. :)

jmd34

<---- Ibanez RG320PG-P3
    Years
  • I have never gone through a game without My starter , I base my team off my starter ( Mostly it's the fire Starter because there aren't so many good fire pokemons throughout the games , but in RSE , mudkip is da bomb :D )

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
  • I answered Yes in the polls, as my general rule is my starter is my bro for life, however rare exceptions have been made. like with my Soul Silver file...I'm actually using the son of my starter. Why? I wanted a Typlosion with Extrasenory XD

Future_Chaos

Obsessed with Eelektross
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I always have, ever since I got Pearl (:B) my subconsious won't let me abandon them in the cold, dark confindments of a PC D:

...my starter pokemon are always the strongest on meh team anyway ;P

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    I always keep my starter pokemon, except in pokemon yellow, i never use pikachu because of 2 reasons
    1. Can't evolve him in Raichu
    2. I'm more open to my Gyarados who knows Thunder (yeah gyarados can learn it)
    I prefer more to have multi-type pokemons like my Gyarados
    Gyarados lvl 51. (pokemon yellow)
    Dragon rage
    Blizzard
    Thunder
    Surf
    YOu can simply get some pokemon who is super effective against water, ice, ground, fire, flying, rock, preety nice huh.

Years
  • Through out the main story and any side stories in the games, Ill keep my starter with me, but once I'm done, and just use my game for competitive junk, I end up putting him into the cold hell that is the PC D:

xEoNx

Trade & Angel Lord Forever
    Years
  • No. I usually trade it for a better Fire/Water/Grass type. This time around I replaced Meganium for a Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite though.

Magmorter

Suffering from Pokerus...
    Years
  • Hmm sometimes I breed my starter again so I get the chance to EV it properly but only if I'm going to competitive battle.

Nateon

Pokemon Will Be Real One Day!
    Years
  • My starter is always kept and is always my strongest, the only exception was crystal, had level 100 meganium and leant it to a friend so they could do the league and her brother new gamed and saved so i lost her =[

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2011
    I've always kept my starter. I mean, in some playthroughs I've tried playing the entire game only using my starter and no other Pokemon. :P

Oh yeah brings back great memories. When I started out playing pokemon I only used my starter. For example in Fire Red I played with Charizard, and I got stuck into Articunos cave as I did have Surf, but no Strength and I could never possibly get out :P

Also in Crystal I played the whole story with Typhlosion only. I even beat Red with him (At level 100 of course)

Further I always keep my starter. Mostly they're pretty strong, and as I'm always overleveled getting through was never a problem for me.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I always use my starter in every game I've played. I get attached to them; they are like my baby (yes, I have an over active imagination). I get so attached I feel bad if I put them in the PC even if only for a moment ^^; My starter in SoulSilver was a Chikorita named Tockles! <3

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I've always kept my starter. In HG that would be Typhlosion, but I feel like I've overused him so I'm IV breeding a Growlithe to replace him. Feeling incredibly guilty, tho. I'll probs end up using both of them on my team.

Back