• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you look down on people who are doing low skill jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    In third world countries, it would be understandable since there are not much opportunities.

In first world countries such as U.S., there is no excuse. I don't have much respect for people who
    born in america, speak English, in his/her 30 and still doing menial jobs. Seriously, these menial jobs
    are for immigrants who English skill are not good. They have much opportunites in america and all
    they know is cleaning, retailing etc... they are lazy.

what your opinion?

I find your post insulting and extremely ignorant.

Let me tell you as a 40 year old male, I actually enjoy working those "menial jobs" you so rudely criticize. You're right, I probably could have a lot of opportunities for better paying jobs. But there's no guarantee that I'd actually enjoy those better jobs.

I've worked retail all my life (except for 10 years at McDonald's) and I can tell you that aside for the low pay, there isn't a more rewarding job for me than I could ever have hoped for. You know why? Because I really enjoy interacting with people. And I don't mean interacting with the same people day in and day out that you work with. I mean different people who come in every day to maybe buy something that you're offering for sale.

So while to you it may seem a menial job, and beneath anyone except for an immigrant (way to go insulting the majority of people in North American, for we are all descendants of immigrants, or are immigrants ourselves), to me it is a job that I really enjoy doing.

I work at Walmart. Not the most glamorous job out there, I agree, but when you factor in that it pays me about $12.50 per hour, that I get over 30 hours per week, and allows me to do the one thing I enjoy doing most (interacting with people), you can't really beat it. I've spent almost three years at this job. Maybe sometime down the road I'll get another job elsewhere. But I can guarantee you, it'll probably be another retail job. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

So go ahead, insult me if you wish. But it doesn't matter one bit to me. Because yours is an ignorant argument that makes a whole lot of assumptions about people and is full of self-righteous condemnation that your opinion really isn't worth a whole heck of a lot.

Good day to you.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2014
    In defense of dogtree

Firstly, we're not all victims, especially in western society. People in bad jobs will blame their circumstances but you can always do things to improve your life. Working up from the bottom is once of those things, and I respect it immensely. But acting as a victim isn't. Most successful people have been through (or are going through) their own hardships too.

Secondly, it's not ok to look down on low skilled workers. But give respect to those that achieve in their careers. It takes a lot more effort and commitment to become an engineer than retailer (I have been both). They're not of equal importance or demand in society, it is evidenced by pay which is based on supply and demand. But like Cassino said, there is dignity in doing menial work, and many of these people are using it as a step up to bigger and better things.

Reactions: Tek

Adore

Party.
    Years
    There are lots of circumstances that lead someone to take such a job. Especially right now when there are many, many, many people trying to rebuild their careers (and their lives) after the economy crashed. The crash left millions of people out of work because the job market was flooded with potential employees, and companies were cutting their staff to save money (or keep their profits up (:/)). Frankly, after that mess the people that are employed are lucky that they have jobs at all, considering how desperate so many people were/are to find work.

Besides, somebody has to do those jobs and the services they provide are often taken for granted. They deserve your respect and appreciation for providing them. Because, regardless of occupation, we're all human beings and deserve to be treated with basic decency.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Hey dogtree you never answered when someone asked what you do for a living. I'm eagerly awaiting the answer.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    I understand that most people in this website are young under 30 and on fire!!

But when you get older, you will judge people a lot more because you getting tried of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

I dont know why some of you get offend easily... i look down BUT I don't hurt them or anything like that. I don't want to associate with them. I want to be around smart people so i can learn from them

and be successful. and i DONT buy excuse such as i love my job, i dont care low paid . no 1 love low paid job. I respect Mexican people who do backbreaking job but not american who just retailing, MacDonald .

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015

First of all, I don't appreciate you dismissing my story like as just some "sob story". That is incredibly rude and I expect better from you.

Second of all, you can respect those that went through a lot of work to get their position without looking down on those that are in low skill jobs. No one is saying to treat everyone in all jobs equal; just that it's inappropriate to judge those in low skill jobs negatively and claim they're lazy and have no excuse when our world is so incredibly biased and unfair at times. You're setting up a strawman here by trying to claim that saying "we should respect doctors" is opposed to "we shouldn't judge people working in retail" - those can most certainly be in the same mind at the same time.

Saying "you aren't perfect and therefore you can never try to be a better person" is silly. Sure, I judge. I try my hardest not to but sometimes I do. But I certainly don't argue how my illogical judgments are right and how I should have the right to look down on someone for my judgment, because that's a conscious decision I can make. If I notice I judged someone, I make an effort to make sure the judgment does not cloud my treatment of them. That's something I can do, as a human being trying to be the best person I can be, to override subconscious judgments passed on to me through my socialization. It's one thing to make a mistake without thinking and try to fix it; it's another to make a mistake without thinking and decide to argue that it was never a mistake.

But when you get older, you will judge people a lot more because you getting tried of ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥.

I dont know why some of you get offend easily... i look down BUT I don't hurt them or anything like that. I don't want to associate with them. I want to be around smart people so i can learn from them

and be successful. and i DONT buy excuse such as i love my job, i dont care low paid . no 1 love low paid job. I respect Mexican people who do backbreaking job but not american who just retailing, MacDonald .

I'm guessing you have no education in Sociology and how social attitudes shape who we are and how a lot of people simply living in the world talking about their opinions can change its social landscape. You should read up a little bit on it and then come back and make your argument about how telling hundreds of people publicly that you think retail workers are worth less makes no difference.

I mean, you told some retail workers that you think they're not worth anything and don't deserve basic human respect and that they have no excuse to be working that job when you posted, because some people work in low skill jobs. So you obviously hurt and insulted them directly. Even going beyond the ripple effect an opinion has on the society around it, on a basic level you insulted other posters so of course people would be offended.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I mean frankly I judge someone based on how they present themselves. If they're going to be a little angsty ♥♥♥♥♥ like the people I worked with at Chuck E. Cheese's then yeah, I'm going to have a problem with them and I am going to look down on them, but because of their character and their attitude. Most times though people are really respectful so I give them a break. I mean, that work is not easy. It's a little sad how we value the most physically straining jobs the least in our culture.

I think a lot of people who are disrespectful to employees are usually those who are looking for some sort of selfish way to milk money from the company (this has happened to me before and yes it works unfortunately), they're having a really bad day and treating everyone like that or they haven't worked in a place like that.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    People are different so you have to treat people base on what they deserve.
    let say the earth is about is to get hit by asteroid, who would you pick to be on your spaceship? retailer or engineer?

most of people would pick engineer. .... so most of people look down on retailer. it just human nature.... deal with it

I think that in that extremely obtuse situation, the person who owns the rocket would pick whoever pays him the most money, which to be perfectly honest, is what I would do too. If it just so happens that a retailer was willing to pay me more money than an engineer, then yes, I would pick the retailer.

This is where I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the adult world works. Most people aren't keeping a ranking system in their mind and evaluating people based on their occupation. They're just looking out for themselves and tending to their own affairs. So in your spaceship example, most people would just choose whoever they feel they would profit from the most, regardless of their occupation.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    My sister has a bachelors degree and the only place she could find work was at a coffee shop. As a barista. To imply that entry level job workers are lazy and/or uneducated is pure ignorance.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

How old are you then? Because you're coming off as if you're 12.

Sorry, but not everyone judges others in such a harsh way.

Some people think nothing of any sort of ranking system between themselves and other people.

It's all opinion, but making a thread like this and never stepping out of your comfort zone to really think about the opinions of the others that you wanted replies from quite honestly makes this thread feel really pointless. It's literally people going around in circles. It's fine if you want to look down on other people, but at least realize that that's not how it has to be, nor how everyone else feels.

I'm actually sorry that you feel that way towards people who are just trying to look out for themselves. It's called having sympathy towards the situations of others, regardless of their background or their race. Everyone has a different story, and you wouldn't want people judging you, so if you're going to judge others, outright stating it in such a way is probably not the best idea. .w.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back