• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you name your Pokémon?

Fate Falls

Pokémon Researcher
Years
  • Definitely do. :) I think it's rather odd to have every Pokemon named the same. Not only that, but it's strange to name your Pokemon the same name as their species. It's like, "Hey, Rabbit/Deer/Mouse/Turtle/etc! I choose you!"

I always name my Pokemon. I feel it not only gives them an individual identity and makes them more unique from others of their species, but also strengthens the Pokemon and trainer bond. :]

My Pokemon's names are...

1. Flareon ♀ -- Cinder
    2. Luxray ♂ -- Volt
    3. Butterfree ♀ -- Bluebell
    4. Swellow ♀ -- Alouette
    5. Vaporeon ♀ -- Mist
    6. Leafeon ♀ -- Ivy

Other Pokemon names I have are...

Charizard -- Scorch
    Pidgeot -- Dart
    Rapidash -- Dash
    Raticate -- Bandit
    Togekiss -- Zip
    Gyarados -- Wrath
    Pikachu -- Sparks

Last edited:

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • Nope.
    I just don't tend to do it. I mean, I don't mind if someone trades me a Pokemon with a nickname; but I usually catch a Pokemon, then button mash so I can get on with the game. I suppose it's just become habitual not to do it and I'm just lazy. D:

Amulet Dream

has the Alice of Running Away.
    Years
  • I also like to name my Pokemon. It helps me to remember which one I put in the PC so I don't have to look at the levels to find out if it's my battle Pokemon. =D

Because I can't be bothered trying to remember any of them, I'll just leave you with that.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Of course I do. I usually name them after the djinn from Golden Sun, or something that pertains to whatever they're supposed to be.

I like naming my female murkrows Lucy though :3333

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I usually come up with some pretty unique names so yeah, I always make it a point to nickname them. I love it. it makes them feel special to me. Its another way to personalize them you know.

Umbrachu

Wants a cookie.
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2021
    No, I don't. I agree with Fate Falls about it seeming weird that they're called by their species instead of individual names, but I've never named mine. Maybe I will someday, though. :)

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I agree with Haza on this one, nicknames are a great way to really personalize your pokemon. I always name mine =3

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
  • I sometimes name my Pokemon but I always name my Shinx, Shaw. He evolves into a Luxio and is my main man throughout the rest of the game. Shaw Dude!

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • I name my Pokemon, because to me, it gives them originality. It makes them stand out. If I had 5 Roselias, each with a special moveset for what they were supposed to do, I'd name them for what they were gonna be for. I also like to make things unique.

gigapoodle

I'm Ron Burgundy?
    Years
  • I only do it when I'm in the mood. And when I do, they're pretty unusual. Like, my Sapphire game;

Crobat --> Scyke
    Swampert --> Kain
    Cacturne --> Vidias
    Claydol --> Kiev
    Magneton --> Hext
    Ninetales --> Arkani

Otherwise, when I'm not in the mood, I just KISS. Keep it simple, stupid.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I always name the Pokemon on my team (and I have since second gen) but I don't bother when I'm just catching wild Pokemon as fodder, to fill my pokedex, or whatever. I only name the Pokemon that are important to me.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
  • I've only done it in Platinum.
    Not really into the idea.
    But if you can get creative, I think it can be fun.

These are the only ones, ever, to have given a nickname...
    Empoleon - Mizuru
    Luxray - Secret
    Lopunny - Karma
    Driftblim - Hollow
    Leafeon - Meldoy
    Giratina - Silhouette

Back