• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Nickname your Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 7, 2019
I try to nickname them to the best of ability. It is hard for me to do it on the spot, especially on camera lol.

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
I always nickname them, although a lot of them i rename different than in previous game i get them (I'm forgetful, LoL) but my favourites already has a set nickname on what should i name them

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
Yes, any pokemon on my main team will have a nickname that usually resembles a thing, such as Laptop or Smartphone.

rainbow545

Banned
Years
i've taken to nicknaming my current team in Pokemon X (1 badge currently) after book characters. like, my Squirtle is named Riptide, my Braixen is going to be named Sunny, my Pikachu is being named Willow, Ralts is being named Moon (or Moonwatcher). i usually only nickname the Pokemon i plan to keep in my team, and the VERY rare shiny.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
Whenever I catch a Pokemon I'm going to use, I usually just name them whatever appropriate comes to my mind at the time. They range from "Mop" the HM slave Zigzagoon, to "Keroppi" the Politoed and "Sputnik" the Magnezone.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I always do! The theme varies, but I try to keep it consistent within a game. If I'm doing a challenge, I usually link the names to that. Otherwise, I might go for normal human names, words that fit the Pokémon, or something that I think sounds cool and fits but is actually utterly meaningless.

Years
I didn't do it at first but when X/Y came out I decided to try naming my Pokemon for the first time. I really liked doing it so I never stopped since. I only name the Pokemon I'm planning to use on my team, it would be to much work to name every Pokemon I catch lol. I usually name my Pokemon after characters from ancient mythology, movies, TV shows, comics, books,...

Some of my favorite names over the years were: Leonidas the Tyrantrum, Cleopatra the Salazzle, Shazam the Raichu, Nightwing the Crobat, Malia the Midday Lycanroc, Jadis the Jynx and Spartacus the Kommo-o.

Last edited:
Years
I always nickname Pokémon I plan on using! But every generation that has either Pokémon I HAVE to nickname Zorua Oingo and Buneary Boingo regardless of whether I use them.

Years
It depends the situation. Most of the time No. But if I wanted to give it a personality for a specific reason (idk what a "reason" would be but whatever) then sure maybe.

The two specific reasons I remember nicknaming my Pokemon is my team in my Blue cartridge cause younger me thought it was funny, and my VC Crystal for a future comic. Otherwise no.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • he/him
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2024
I've nicknamed mine since Gen 3, but only party members and other Pokémon that I plan on levelling. My naming sense is all over the place lmao.

The Bellossom boi

I nickname my Pokémon using American names, like Charlie o Rebecca.

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
Years
I didn't used to back in the day, but nowadays if I think I'm going to raise it on my team, I give it a nickname. It usually takes me a little while to come up with them, though, and often I'll use real names, such as through the website Behind the Name, or try to put something together using the letters of the final evolution's species name. Sometimes it just comes to me the second I look at the Pokemon though, such as the Treecko I raised for my first play through of Alpha Sapphire, whom I nicknamed Richard simply because he looked like a Richard to me.

As far as the nicknames of my main 3DS team? Scarlet (Delphox), Abyss (Absol), Cairo (Lucario), Lycea (Lycanroc [Midnight]), Ysayle (Ninetales [Alolan]), and Emma (Noivern).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
I either nickname my entire team or don't nickname anyone.

If I have decent name ideas for all of them I surely do. Otherwise no, I like using nicknames that somehow make sense with the Pokémon and not just give them generic names for the sake of "everything must be nicknamed".

Back