• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you prefer D/P/Pt or HG/SS?

Your fave Gen 4 Games?

• Total voters

Typhon

'sup
Years
  • I'll choose HG/SS. There were many features added such as the walking etc. It also had some better sprites then D/P/Pt, and it had 16 Gyms. Moar gameplay :D

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    Platinum is it for me. The only thing I liked about HG/SS was the unique system for catching Hoenn Pokémon and the walking with your Pokémon feature.

The overall storyline, plot, character cast, challenging E4 and Battle Tower was amazing in Platinum enough to re-play it multiclip times. I finished SS just once and didn't even bother to catch the legendaries and such it was quite unsatisfying, but I never liked the original G/S/C anyways that must be it.

Years
  • Definitely Platinum. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every single moment of HG/SS because of all the options presented to me. I had the bug catching contest, having rematches with gym leaders, Pokemon following you around, and even a second region to explore. Even with all that, I still picked Platinum. To me, Sinnoh had the best storyline up to that date and many post story stuff that you could do. I could even buy furniture in put it in my house for crying out loud! I felt the legendaries were top notch and were pretty powerful.

Gigabyyyte

Exploring the world of Kalos!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 2, 2013
    HGSS all the way! Even with X and Y coming out in like, a little less than a month or so, Gen II has this special place in my heart (WAT) and Gen IV kinda made that blossom (LOL. WAT). My old Gold had always been my very treasured game (before the data got corrupted and I switched to Ruby, then LeafGreen, then Emerald), but HeartGold/SoulSilver kinda ignited that old spark again. c:

Walking Pokémon, Oak and Elm, a bunch of references to everywhere, and Red?! (OMG RED) The perfect games, imo. :)

Now, only if they made a SpiritCrystal type of game... but no. Nintendo doesn't do that with remakes. *sob*

Last edited:

OmegaTL

Time Lord
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 4, 2013
    My vote goes to D/P/Pt. I think they're very underrated.

Platinum was the first Pokémon game I got that wasn't second hand and I have good memories of playing it for hours on end on holiday when it first came out.

I got more playtime out of HG/SS and I learned about competitive battling because of them, but the storyline wasn't new to me and I ended up not caring about them as much.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I enjoyed HG/SS more because of the always on running shoes, its a remake and walking pokemon.

Has GF (not girlfriend it means gamefreak) told us why they didn't put this in future games I mean why wouldn't they it was the main reason I got the game how good would it be with X and Y who are using graphics similar to Dragon Quest 9 (the DS one that wasnt a remake) where you have your whole team follow you.

You see in Dragon Quest you can see your whole party following you around everywhere imagine that, having 6 pokemon behind you as you explore caves. Cycle around and more importantly it helps with growing pokemons happiness by walking with you.

Archeops

Pixel artist and hack player
    Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    DP were very, very flawed, but Platinum basically fixed every single error and improved GREATLY compared to its predecessors.

HGSS was way too easy for my liking and despite the walking Pokémon feature, the music is often over the top. A lot of sprites are a scar to the eye, too.

Overall, I think Platinum is the best of the three.

Years
  • I like DPP cause I got those games (namely pearl) when I was very little and they have been with me ever since.

Dialga812

The crusade marches on.
    Years
  • I quite like the features in hg/ss and how a lot of things were very convenient and the region were very colourful but i didn't find it as much interesting as the d/p/pt one imo {:3}. The storyline, the pokemon, the region and the characters are far more better than the remake but every time I tried to play my diamond again it feels so slow like the battle scene and all that. {XD} Overall D/P/PT!! ^^

Years
  • I am going to play Platinum and Soulsilver, and was thinking about saving the better one for last, and this poll is not helping that much since it's a tie lol.

Maxew555

You can call me Max :D
    Years
  • I personnally have to say D/P/Pt as My very first Pokemon game that I ever played was Pearl for starters, I had the game before I even had a DS. However, I sometimes find that fans prefer the first gen/game that they first played, I guess I'm one of those fans, even though I am a big fan of gen 5 and am really excited for gen 6 and I have played Saphire, Emerald and LeafGreen from gen 3 and enjoyed them all (I know that Ruby and FireRed exisit, I just haven't played either of them!) And I am slowly playing through Yellow at the moment (I've never played a gen 2 game :O.) But I have to say that gen 4 is probably one of my favorite generations for the reasons of D/P/Pt.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • My vote goes to HGSS.
    Nostalgic, and by far the best game made (I have high hope that it will be overturned by X and Y in my opinion now!).

Also love my Shiny Miltank following me behind, it reminds me so much of my 1st Pokemon game - Yellow.

Access to two regions is epic too.

Whilst I love Giratina and it's world, I still vote for HGSS!

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • HG/SS only because for some reason I enjoy remake more then anything. Because I remember having both of the original games. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed PT/D/P but the remakes takes the win for me.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Iowa
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    Well, I've been on quite the Gen IV kick lately. And after years of having only played through the region one stinking time, I'm finally exploring Sinnoh again. And I've developed quite a love for Team Galactic as well as the mascot trio and lake trio. I'm really enjoying playing through Platinum right now!

But ultimately, when it comes down to it, HG/SS get my vote. Gen II is very near and dear to my heart. The remakes made me so happy. All the good old nostalgia mixed with better graphics, more features, and just general up-to-datedness was simply amazing to me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    I'd say diamond pearl and platinum
    I thought all the pokemon added were pretty good unlike some recent games... bw
    HG SS just felt dragged out through the whole game. Seemed like there was always a steep level gap and was boring at times. It had more to do but i enjoyed dppt more just because the game was fun to play through. Not the most serious and not the hardest. Right now im playing through dark rising which is one of the hardest hacks and i look back and think what was i thinking when i played those games. But at the time dppt were most enjoyable

Last edited:

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
    Years
  • Although I thoroughly enjoyed DPPt, Diamond being my second most played game... I have to say HGSS because the sense of nostalgia HeartGold and SoulSilver brought back just made me fall in love with Johto all over again. I'm actually playing through HeartGold (for the who knows'th time) right now. :)

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
  • Gen II is overrated imo (don't kill me
    ed2305b7.png
    )

I really liked Gen IV, it was also the second Gen I played after Gen I.

Years
  • The slow battle and PC animations really killed HG/SS for me, though I did love the games. :( I enjoyed D/P/Pt's story a bit more but overall HeartGold and SoulSilver were wonderful remakes and really brought on the nostalgia. As obsessed with Diamond as I was when it was released, I'd probably say HG/SS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 29, 2013
    I preferred the HG/SS more, because of the pokémons that can follow you. that's all!

Back