• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DO YOU REALLY USE YOUR LEGENDARIES?

legendaries

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2017
    Unless if it's a "lesser" legendary like Moltres or Regirock, definitely not; they just make the game too easy. They do make great assets for trading, seeing how I got a female Salamence for a Dialga in Diamond's GTC.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
  • I've always thought it was sort of a taboo to use legendaries in competitive battling, so I never use any and tend to be surprised and tempted to tell off people who do. xD But I guess it's not an actual problem.

Checkmate

Pokemon Strategist
    Years
  • I find it weird how most of you act like you all don't use Legendaries. You all serious? After throwing a bunch of ultraballs/dusk balls/ a single masterball you all do not use them? Obviously they overpower normal pokemon, or every pokemon would be a legendary.

Personally, yes I do, and I would not hide it. I always have 2 legendaries in my team ( unless its competitive battling over wi-fi ( check some of my threads ) ) because I wouldn't know when I would meet with a tough situation. I use Regigigas and Giratina because both has been proved useful when I had trouble fighting the second round of elite 4 in platinum? I don't know if this is the right way to phrase it, but my the they two practically ate up the elite four's pokemon.

s p a c e c o w b o y

Im Part Vaporeon.....
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    i don't like using legendary Pokemon because i don't feel like it's special. I feel like if i use a legendary it takes away from the experience that training a non-legendary Pokemon might give you.

Edward Newgate

Everyone is a child of the sea
    Years
  • I only catch legendaries, and train them to lv.100, But I never use them to complete the storyline. It's really nice to complete the game with the pokémon you really want, and not with legendaries to make it easier -_-'

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I don't usually play with a legendary on my team, although there is usually a period of time where I use the box legendary but that didn't happen in Pokemon Black because the time I picked up Zekrom I already had a full team.

It's happened with Lugia, Ho-oH, Groudon, Kyogre and Dialga in the past though. In Soul Silver I used Lugia in the elite four but ditched him when I went to Kanto.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I never use my Legendaries. For one, I don't really like that many of them and by the time you get one, your team is pretty much cemented so switching something out to make room doesn't feel right.

That and, despite not caring about natures and the like, I always feel like I'll be doing something wrong if I use a Legendary. Like, it'll get all the wrong EVs and be less valuable. Not that I'd ever EV train them, but it still feels wrong!

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years
  • I usually just capture them and then send them off to the PC. I never use them in battle because I like them to be untouched.

TheOrangePichu

Currently working on new hack
    Years
  • I only use legendaries in EXTREME cases. I moslty keep them in my invo. Although I do you one Psuedo-Legendary in the game from the region they come from. (Dragonite for Kanto, Tyranitar for Johto, etc.)

West the Hardcore Nerd

Giggles at the ghosties!
    Years
  • I always have the mascot Legendary on my team, no exceptions, given that the plot usually makes a big ol' fiasco about them, and it would seem like a shame to not train them. However, I usually box the other Legendaries simply because I'd rather choose Pokemon based on how long they've been on my team and how attached I've grown to them than by how powerful they are. This sometimes leads to me having teams consisting of wimpy com-mons I had since the first few Routes, so Legendaries tend to help out in a pinch.

However, I've a tradition of starting a post-game team; after beating the game, I box all of the Pokemon I had used up to that point and begin raising a new one. By that point, I give exactly zero craps about fairness, and as such my post-game team almost always consists entirely of Legendaries/Shinies/Pseudo-Legendaries/what have you.

All in all, I don't really consider using Legendaries to be a necessarily n00bish behavior, it's just played up as one waaay too often. Case in point, Sabbath, my Zekrom, isn't really all that stronger than the rest of my team.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I always have the mascot, it's my Pokemon tradition.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • After I started some competitive battling in Diamond/Pearl, I've found myself not using any legendary pokemon at all in-game. I guess the whole notion that legendary pokemon are "cheap" has pretty much prevented me from using them.

Plus, they're everywhere now. Last two games have added quite a bit in number. Legendary pokemon don't feel so legendary for me anymore.

LycaNinja

Werewolf Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    No... Only noobs or little kids use legendary Pokemon... They are just a cheap way to beat the game...

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • I tend not to use legendaries, because by the time I'm in a position to capture them, my team is normally at least ten levels above theirs, and training legendaries to catch up with the rest of my squad takes AGES, and most of the time I can't be bothered to. Although it varies depending on my squad. In Fire Red, for example, I would ALWAYS swap my Pidgeot out for Articuno, not only because Articuno is one of my favourites, but because Lance would inevitably take me to school if I didn't rely on it to take down his accursed Dragonites. But in HeartGold I didn't bother with Ho-Oh, I used my classic second gen squad, and in Black I didn't bother with Reshiram either, because I'd power-levelled excessively so Ghestis wouldn't give me any troubles.

So, really, I guess it depends on what the legendary in question is and how lazy I'm feeling that day. xD

Back