• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you speak a different language at home?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
  • For me, I know quite a few languages from Masadonian, Turkish, English, Lebanese and Italian. But I do not speak any at home. My dad does though, but not me, my sister nor my mum understand him completely. Heheh.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • What does being white have to do with anything XD

I speak English with my family and French with my fiance. I actually find myself speaking French more than English nowadays.

As for my fiance, he speaks French and Arabic at home. He only speaks English at work when an anglophone walks in and starts demanding stuff.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • only my siblings and i speak english to eachother at home, and everyone else (parents, aunt/uncle, etc) speaks chinese. we all speak chinese back when we're talked to in chinese though.

but sometimes it's weird cuz my parents know english and they'll start speaking to me in english but i'm used to talking back to them in chinese so i'll be speaking chinese ;-;

and yet i'm not very good at chinese, so sometimes i'll be speaking chinese and a few english words will pop up

Years
  • I only speak German (no, not english, despite me being white) at home, because my parent's are pretty bad at English (ok, I am horrible at English too, but not that horrible...) and don't speak any other languages at all.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I speak Cambodian at home. My parents tend to get really annoyed whenever I speak English at home. It helps me maintain my country's language, so I'm not complaining much. The only problem is that we also argue in Cambodian and it's always in front of my American friends....

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • A mix of English and Farsi. xD

My sister and I prefer speaking English, but my family pushes us to speak Farsi to them. I speak more Farsi though, since hers isn't very good. It's quite common to have us switch between Farsi and English in a sentence, or have us speaking English with our parents replying in Farsi.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    As a prodominately black family its nothin but English babeh. Although I have a tendency to speak to them in Spanish and/or Japanese often :p.

Years
  • Just english for us, I know some spanish but my family members don't so I can't really speak it at home.

Yrie

I'm done here. Ciao~
    Years
  • Eh, I tend to speak Chinese at home, but unfortunately I'm not too good at speaking Chinese, so at times I'll stand there searching for a word, or substitute an English word in, so my Chinese is pretty odd sounding xD But I find it odd to speak Chinese to my parents in front of my friends, but out of respect for my language and our nationality and an unspoken obligation to be able to communicate with other Chinese in Chinese.

Magik?!

Georgums.
    Years
  • I guess officially, I speak English at home seeing as it's my first language and all that, but my mum and I have a tendancy to slip into Spanish or French as she's fluent (but rusty) in both and I'm learning both as much as I can. My step-family speak Irish (yes, it is a language, also known as Gaelic... look on google translate, it's different to English), but me and my mum don't speak it so they don't speak it around us.
    I'm in a pretty international boarding school too, so with my Chinese friends here, I speak Chinese (I'm learning), and I speak French and Spanish to my best friends because that way we can have conversations with most people not understanding what they say. Yeah, I speak a mix xD Still officially a white English-speaking unilingual person though :3

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I speak my own language XP I only speak English at home and my parents do too, even I know a few other languages I don't think they'll understand what I am saying.

Back