• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do you think a Pokemon Z will come out?

Rapture11

All about Battle Spot <3
    Years
    It's already been 6 months I think since pokemon X and Y came out and people already want a new pokemon game to come out. Figures since the post-game was disappointing, they should've added a lot more to it. As for remakes, It'll probably be some years before they make them. It was 8 years before Red, Green was remade into FireRed and LeafGreen and about 10 years from when they made Gold and Silver, into HeartGold and SoulSilver. Ruby and Saphire came out in 2002, If they are going to make remakes of them, it'll be in a few years. Also there wasn't any remakes of pokemon Yellow, Crystal, so I doubt Emerald would be remaked and the same with Platinum as they are the "director's cut version". It would be amusing to see them to create remakes of all the pokemon games once they create the last generation of pokemon and which I think is the 6th generation cause they only created about 60+ new pokemon. Once Z is out, I think they'll stop making pokemon games or make remakes perhaps. Making all pokemon games 3D but that kinda ruins it in a way, if they remaked FireRed/Leafgreen and HeartGold/SoulSilver again and such. Maybe they prefer to leave the previous games alone and pokemon Red/Green, Gold/Silver were just special.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2017
    Since Nintendo announced as of May 20th all online services of the ds and wii will be terminate, which means remakes are very possible to come maybe we'll know in April/May.

Jimmyray

Bish Bash Bosh
    Years
    I actually have a feeling they might incorporate an old region into the storyline. Either that or a new one, as there were quite a few mentions of 'other regions' in X & Y and the official guidebook for the games says that some berries can only be traded from 'other regions'. Personally I would like to revisit an old region like Hoenn but maybe not with the same storyline. It's a long shot but I would also like to see an old villainous team return as well.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    I'm still not sure if Pokemon Z/XZ/YZ will take place in a new region or stay in Kalos. It would make sense to take place in Kalos, since Terminus Cave is there, a lot of open spaces on the map, Kiloude will get expanded, and foremost: Zygarde's Pokedex entry. It says Zygarde will reveal its true power when the Kalos' balance falls into dissarray or something like that. I bet the storyline is about Xerbeas and Yveltal disturbing balance of live and death. XZ and YZ would be great games to backup this plot. Al , Zygarde mega evolutions/forms can be Ground/Fairy and Ground/Dark.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Chances of them making a third installment of X and Y is highly likely, as that's what they always do with all their main-series games. Not exactly sure what it would be called, though. ): One thing I'd personally like to see this time around is for them to give us access to more clothing. If they can't include them all in one game, perhaps they could even make some outfit sets download-able online, which would get saved onto your SD card?

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
    Any remake of Ruby and Sapphire will follow the formula of previous remakes. Yes, the plot will be basically the same, but it will be expanded upon, and there will be more to do. And considering the original Hoenn had a pretty good amount to do, a 3DS remake has the potential to keep you busy for a long time.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
    Gah yes, everyone will probably make this the most controversial thing in the world, but in the end Hoenn remakes are what I would wait for, then maybe I would go and actually play Pokemon Z, because everyone made it so mainstream and I don't just- BWA

Years
    Pokemon Z and Hoenn Remakes

The two topics in my title - Pokemon Z and Hoenn remakes - have received much attention on the board lately. I wanted to address a few aspects of these topics in one place.

1. Why are there a variety of threads speculating on Pokemon Z? I do not have a problem with that; I was only under the impression that it was a violation of community rules to post regarding the same topic in multiple threads. Perhaps I am mistaken regarding that rule.

2. I think the reason people are so eager for the third installment of Generation 6 is because of the extremely limited post game content. This is understandable, although it gives people more time to develop competitive teams and catch/breed as many Pokemon as possible.

3. Regarding Pokemon Z specifically (if there is going to be one), I think we should expect Zygarde to play a more prominent role in the story; Zygarde to receive a new form or mega evolution; more mega evolutions to be revealed; a new part of Kalos to explore (perhaps southern Kalos); and more post game content to satisfy people.

4. Regarding the Hoenn remakes, while it is possible for Game Freak to remake Ruby and Sapphire, there is no in-game substantiation for that expectation. There is a man you speak to who says that, while Kalos is nice, there is another region where he is from that would astound the player. However, he goes on to say that his region is not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or Kalos. Therefore, it refers to Generation 7. The fact that he says we will see it "soon" may mean that Generation 7 is right around the corner and that perhaps we will receive that instead of a third installment of X and Y.

5. Regarding the Hoenn remakes, while it is possible for Game Freak to remake Ruby and Sapphire, the argument regarding the information about berries in the game guide does not provide absolute substantiation for that expectation. Either the guide was referring to berries that one of the other posters mentioned that are obtainable, or the guide mistakenly assumed that berries could be transferred over. It seems specious to me that Game Freak would hint at Hoenn remakes or a new generation through reference to berries, which are fairly insignificant compared to other items and events.

6. Regarding the Hoenn remakes, while it is possible for Game Freak to remake Ruby and Sapphire, it is not necessary because, as other posters have pointed out, it is possible to transfer every legitimate Pokemon over from Fire Red/Leaf Green and Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, through Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Heart Gold/Soul Silver, through Black/White and Black 2/White 2, to X and Y. And although DS connectivity will be discontinued, this information has been available for a while now so that people have had time to transfer Pokemon over.

7. In reference to a poster in another thread who said that Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald can only be played on a Game Boy Advance, that is incorrect. They, along with Fire Red and Leaf Green, can be played on a DS Lite, and that is how they are able to be connected to Diamond and Pearl.

8. The only reason I see it as plausible for Game Freak to do Hoenn remakes is because it is a growing demand and they would make a lot of money out of it.

9. Finally, my own guess at what is to come (I stated this in point 4): Generation 7 is coming sooner than we expect, and perhaps it will take the place of a third installment for X and Y. Perhaps it will even be called Pokemon Z. But I feel that X and Y, while revolutionary, were only Game Freak's transition - a stepping stone, if you will - into the 3D world and that Game Freak is putting its energy into developing a superior game for Generation 7. But I could be totally wrong about that.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    First off, I don't get why no one has any perspective on time anymore. SO many people think by summer the new pokemon game will be out (look how agonizingly long Super Smash Brothers is taking to come out, and look how long in advance X and Y were announced before they came out. There is not going to be a new pokemon game in the next couple months. This is not directed at the original poster, but rather to the endless amount of other posters who insist there will be a new pokemon main series game this year because a previous series released two games a year apart in north america, even though in Japan the two games were released more than TWO years apart and refuse to accept that any region other than north america exists so that MUST mean the new pokemon game will be out 6 months after the release of X and Y, AND it will be gen 7 because there's so little stuff to do after you finish the game, etc, etc)

Now, the massive problem that people aren't addressing about the gameboy advance games is that where can you buy a new DS lite anymore? Yes I know there's eBay, but that doesn't really count, I'm talking about in stores. I haven't seen a DS lite anywhere in at least a year or two, so saying we can still play the gameboy games isn't completely accurate.

Gen 7 is not going to come out this year, it's not going to come out next year, look at the releasee dates of all previous pokemon games and look at every single initial release: Everyone complains that there wasn't enough post game content in Ruby and Saphire and Diamond and Pearl, and they not only had remakes in their respective generations, but they had a third game in the series to flesh out the game, even though they were ALL the same generation as each other. They never release Ruby and Saphire, then 6 months later gen 4. It took a few years in each generation, so don't be expecting gen 7 anytime soon.

And as for new mega evolutions, that could be the case, but it could simply be Latios and Latias (which would make sense if they did a hoenn remake) because people have already hacked the games and that's all the extra mega evolutions they have found, so this may be all we will get. The problem is that if they release Pokemon Z with new mega evolutions, they can't trade them back to previous games since there is no data for the new mega evolutions in the old game, so it would likely have to either be the way it is now and no new ones, or transfer the pokemon 1 way and not back out.

And finally, you're a tad late. The stepping stone into the 3d pokemon world was WAY back in 1998 when Pokemon Stadium came out. They know how to do a 3D pokemon game. There's no stepping stone, having 3D battles has been around 15 years (at the time of X and Y release) and the rest of the game is simply a different graphical style than the sprites of previous games. It's nothing they haven't done already, it's just cel shaded now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    And as for new mega evolutions, that could be the case, but it could simply be Latios and Latias (which would make sense if they did a hoenn remake) because people have already hacked the games and that's all the extra mega evolutions they have found, so this may be all we will get. The problem is that if they release Pokemon Z with new mega evolutions, they can't trade them back to previous games since there is no data for the new mega evolutions in the old game, so it would likely have to either be the way it is now and no new ones, or transfer the pokemon 1 way and not back out.

I think that in regards to this it could be done via a patch. Probably not the best of ideas to add new Mega Evolutions in Z and then have to patch X and Y, but I've known companies to do it and I'm currently playing version 1.2 of pokemon X due to previous patches.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    8. The only reason I see it as plausible for Game Freak to do Hoenn remakes is because it is a growing demand and they would make a lot of money out of it.

This is an argument Hoenn lovers throw around and it's not a substantial one because Hoenn doesn't have the same nostalgic punch as RBY and GSC to the casual gamer. Their sales weren't large either.

The rest of your post, I agree with.

It's possible Gamefreak introduces a new region within 6th generation. I certainly would prefer that to a Hoenn remake.

And as for new mega evolutions, that could be the case, but it could simply be Latios and Latias (which would make sense if they did a hoenn remake) because people have already hacked the games and that's all the extra mega evolutions they have found, so this may be all we will get.

No it wouldn't! Hoenn games are centered around Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. And Mewtwo didn't need its own game to receive two Mega Evolutions either.

And finally, you're a tad late. The stepping stone into the 3d pokemon world was WAY back in 1998 when Pokemon Stadium came out. They know how to do a 3D pokemon game. There's no stepping stone, having 3D battles has been around 15 years (at the time of X and Y release) and the rest of the game is simply a different graphical style than the sprites of previous games. It's nothing they haven't done already, it's just cel shaded now.

The console Pokémon games aren't made by Gamefreak and aren't part of the series' canon.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    It may just be speculation, but a remake of Hoenn would be great. However I would hope it would be IN a Kalos setting, like you getting on a boat and sailing to Hoenn after a certain point or something.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2014
    I think x and y was a 'test' to see how people would react to an actual 3d pokemon RPG.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a 7th gen in the next year or two.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I think the reason Pokemon Z is discussed so much is because X and Y felt almost "unfinished". There's so many potential plot points that go absolutely nowhere, and it's peaked people's curiosity. For example, Zygarde. From its Pokedex entry and its battle music, we can assume it's the trio master of the axis trio. But despite it being the "boss" who puts Xerneas and Yveltal in their place, it doesn't play any role in the plot whatsoever, and other than vague references to a "monster in a cave" by a few NPC's, no one even seems to know it exists. It seems almost like X and Y were specifically designed to whet the appetite of players for Z. And like you said, X and Y is like the testing ground for a full 3D main series Pokemon game. With every Pokemon game there seems to be the same development pattern: first two versions experiment with enhanced graphics, new hardware, a new region, new Pokemon, and new features, then the third version perfects it. If that pattern continues in Z, then Z is likely to be an amazing game.

However, he goes on to say that his region is not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, or Kalos. Therefore, it refers to Generation 7.

This statement in particular I don't agree with. How do you conclude that he's talking about gen 7? All we know is that he's from a different region. We have no idea if this means a new generation. And even if it did, it wouldn't mean we're getting it soon. My hope is that in Z, we'll get to explore a new region after the E4, similar to GSC.

I agree that Hoenn remakes aren't necessary (I daresay the Kanto and Johto remakes weren't necessary, but to the small extent that they were, they were far more necessary than Hoenn remakes due to the Gen 2/Gen 3 split). Hoenn is by far my favorite region, and I'd much rather see sequels to the games rather than remakes. Or if not sequels then at least games that take place in Hoenn without it just being the exact same plot with a new coat of paint.

I think GF should just end the remake train, and start expanding on and continuing their old stories, rather than just retelling them with new graphics.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    I think x and y was a 'test' to see how people would react to an actual 3d pokemon RPG.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see a 7th gen in the next year or two.
    Exactly what i think. Its just a stepping stone especially for the graphics.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
    9. Finally, my own guess at what is to come (I stated this in point 4): Generation 7 is coming sooner than we expect, and perhaps it will take the place of a third installment for X and Y. Perhaps it will even be called Pokemon Z. But I feel that X and Y, while revolutionary, were only Game Freak's transition - a stepping stone, if you will - into the 3D world and that Game Freak is putting its energy into developing a superior game for Generation 7. But I could be totally wrong about that.
    There's also the possibility of a "Generation 6.5" in my opinion. Like maybe in a future game there will suddenly be 50 or so new Kalos Pokemon, but they will still be considered part of Gen 6, instead of being Gen 7. Though, if they did that with a potential Pokemon Z Version, it would push its release date even further (it is already unlikely that we'll get a new main Pokemon game before late 2015) and also reduce linkability with X and Y if half of the Pokemon could not be used for trades/battles with those games.

Back