• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon is childish?

Do you think of Pokémon as a kid's series?

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Is it a children's franchise? Yes. But that doesn't mean older viewers can't enjoy them just as much--heck, we can probably enjoy it MORE because we can see things through a more complex point of view and morph it like crazy which I find to be hilariously fun, and catch the occasional fanservice. It may be rarer now, but it's still there.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    I don't think it's childish. I know it's targeted to younger children, but it can be enjoyed by so many people. I like many shows that are considered by most people to be "childish." Those shows, I used to not be very open about liking, but I never cared about people knowing that I like Pokémon. I'll bet if some of those people read the manga, they'd look at Pokémon a lot differently. (I just recently started reading it.) I don't care how old someone is, you can like whatever the heck you want, no matter the targeted age. Too bad society doesn't think that way.

I really don't see how Pokémon can be considered childish, though. With the anime, I can see it...a little, but I still like it.

PokemonBroski

I'm Back for Good!
    Years
  • I don't find pokemon childish at all
    I mean I even think it was more aimed at teens and adults because why would they put complected things into the game like EV's, IV's, and all the advanced evolutions.
    And the storylines are pretty complicated for a small child so don't think pokemon was even invented for "children" i believe it was made for Teens to Adults

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • If you look at Pokemon from a neutral point of view, unbiased and unknowing, then Pokemon as a whole will appear childish. It's only those who actually give Pokemon a chance that figure out that Pokemon games aren't as childish as they appear to be. It's actually quite complex if you get to know it.

Yes, the concept of Pokemon sounds quite childish to me. I mean imaginary creatures being tamed by trainers? Yes, that comes across as childish to me, but aside from the concept of Pokemon, the details that they implant into the game are quite complex and aren't childish at all.

And the anime is definitely childish XP

MNFrost

:3
    Years
  • Ehhhh

The anime? Yes, times a billion. No matter what.

The games? Probably only at first. There's so much socializing and strategizing (EVs, teams, etc) to be done over them that I don't think it's really that childish unless you sleep with your game under your pillow because you looove it. ;(

Mezase Master

I wish I had pants.
    Years
  • There's so much socializing and strategizing (EVs, teams, etc) to be done over them that I don't think it's really that childish unless you sleep with your game under your pillow because you looove it. ;(
    Sounds like you're doing a poor job of hiding something. :P

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    I think the anime aspect of Pokemon wore off on me at about 6. But the games...oh man, so many memories. But at my school, you pretty much know that a lot of people have a Pokemon game, but don't talk about it. It's weird upon to go up to someone in the hall and say something like, "Hey, come over to my house so we can trade Pokemon! I have a leve 78 Charizard!" Because everyone at my school is in the stage where they're trying to let go of childhood habits, but can't. So basic rule #1: Don't talk about Pokemon in public.

PokemonBroski

I'm Back for Good!
    Years
  • I think the anime aspect of Pokemon wore off on me at about 6. But the games...oh man, so many memories. But at my school, you pretty much know that a lot of people have a Pokemon game, but don't talk about it. It's weird upon to go up to someone in the hall and say something like, "Hey, come over to my house so we can trade Pokemon! I have a leve 78 Charizard!" Because everyone at my school is in the stage where they're trying to let go of childhood habits, but can't. So basic rule #1: Don't talk about Pokemon in public.

Ha, yeah I totally agree. I'm a freshman and I know alot of Freshman and Softmores that play pokemon. They just aren't open about it like you said. how will, "wanna battle each other on Pokemon tonight" sound to people. You'd most likely sound like a...how should I put this lightly...probably a not very "COOL" person. lol.
    Everyone at my school pretty much plays Pokemon but are just to scared to admit it. So its out there people just don't want to tell they play to the wrong person I guess.

The manga is not chilidish, i'm sure.
    The anime is... Yes, i think is chilidish, even more since hoenn. Kanto and Johto were up for teens, i think even older people could watch it. Now, its like the show is full of lessons, more talking and you know what i'm talking about, while in the kanto and johto, you had at least 1 big fight each 2 episodes.

I really like the games, even i f they're easy (what I think is wrong) i takes 2 or 3 hours MINIMUM to complete the game after the Pokemon League. I enjoy playing them, specially gold and silver. As for your question, in my school watching the anime is some chilidish, but don't critic or nothing to you. And the playing pokemon games is very common.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Poll Question:

Do you think of Pokémon as a kid's series?

Answer: Yes, it is. That doesn't stop it from appealing to older people or being damn good, but it is a kid's series.

Top Title:

Do you think Pokemon is childish?

Answer: No. Childish means simple, easy, wihout depth.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Technically, yes.. yes it is a kid's series. This holds true for both the games, and the anime. Since the games started out being aimed at children, as well.

However that doesn't seem to stop millions of people above the age of 12 from liking it.
    Infact I bet most of the fanbase is older, by this point. >_>;

Proud to be one of those fans. xD

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 28, 2009
    some people think its a dumb game for kids (And those are the one who have never played the game)
    and other thinks its a mindless fighting game (One that just plan hate video games)
    Its seems its a spit for people who grew up with the game and the little kids who are new with it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I gotta go with Marsh here. I've only read some of the manga online and the old manga-style comics, they're good. The games... Do I even need to say it? Heck yeah, they're good. The anime may have started ok, but got worse as time wore on. Movies, eh, It helps with my pokemon origins theory. That's about all the good news since pkmn 4ever. All else (toys, tcg, etc...) is generally pretty stupid, in my opinion.

I think it's awesome that people still like it at my age (high school area) and while it's akward to actually go and talk to someone about that newly-perfected Lv.100 EV trained Deoxys Attack Forme (I gotz it. ;P), just everyones knowledge of the games/manga can lead to some great conversation and, dare I say it, bonding.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • The main thing about Pokémon that's "childish" is the people who pretend they're too cool for it.

In my area, Pokémon is actually accepted, as long as it's not in a serious way. The same "popular" teens who played it just last year for kicks were making fun of the fact some Sophomores were so much as talking about it at lunch a few weeks ago. Ridiculous.

Years
  • Well I've seen your comments on the anime and games.

Anime: Yes, it's target audience is Pre-Teen-below
    Games: Used to be also Pre-teens but is now accepted as an "Everyone" game in the Video Game community.

But no one talkes about the Pokemon Special (Adventures) Manga (Release by VIZ: June 2009)

At least this particular manga rendition tries to give Pokemon a more mature streak. It really refreshed my outlook on Pokemon once I read it. At least the villains here are a bit more complex than the laughable Anime Team Rocket.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    The main issue is that the topic title and the poll question ask different questions. Childish(Topic Title)? No. Kids series(Poll question)? Yes

Years
  • You are extremely lucky, Mezase Master. There are people on this site (myself included) who no-one knows likes pokemon, because for them, its complete social suicide. I personally see the anime as something that is child-aaimed, but can be enjoyed by all, and to a lesser extent, the games. Though I've never read the manga, my understanding is that it is aimed at teenagers, rather than younger children.

That describes me perfectly. No one knows i like it, if they did, me=bagged day in, day out.

Like im not already :P

Back