• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokémon is childish?

Do you think of Pokémon as a kid's series?

• Total voters

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    No pokemon is not a childish thing...it is just someone's interest...some may agree with it, while others may not. Though as for the anime, I still believe it is basically a choice of interest and shouldn't depend on your age. Age is basically a number and shouldn't restrict one's self to like or dislike something.

The games I also believe are meant for all ages as well. SO for those who may think it is for a younger audience, it is all in their own view, while others have their own views as to what they think about it as well.

Years
    Uh...I don't think it's childish at all ('specially the special manga) but there are alotta people at school who say, "Pokemon's for kids," or, "It's retarded and childish." It doesn't throw me off, though, cuz I couldn't care less of what they think, I love Pokemon, and shameless to whatever I do.

Last edited:

PlatinumDawnFtw

Vocaloid fan~
    Years
    I don't think that it's a kids game.

I hate that Pokemon has that bad reputation, if the little kids didn't ruin it, Pokemon would be even more popular today.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    In general, Pokemon is aimed at kids, especially the anime. The games, while they certainly can be enjoyed by anyone, I see as being aimed at kids/teens, as well as the older crowd who grew up on it (who were kids themselves when they were first hooked).

I can't really see older people getting into Pokemon that weren't at least somewhat into it as kids (though I could be wrong). I see it appealing to the older crowd in more of a nostalgic way, with new twists and features to keep it going.

There's nothing wrong with Pokemon being childish, since kids are who it's aimed at, and there's nothing wrong with being grown up and still liking it, because it's no different from still liking any other things that were all the rage when you were a kid. It's old school. Classic Game Boy awesomeness that still lives on.

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2009
    well by looking at it its more like it aimed more at kids and some teens.but i have seen older people play the game.but the game can be for any age really.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    Pokemon was widely accepted at my elementary school, and probably isn't considered nerdy in most populated areas of the world. Hell, I got my dad hooked on Gold Version years ago.
    But ever since moving to a rural area, it has been just a guilty pleasure. Something that's not ever worth talking about with people who don't understand it or play it.

.FoX.

Blaine's Succesor
    Years
    I do believe pokemon is childish, but I just can't help it. I still enjoy playing it, and occasinally watch the cartoons.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2014
    I just think the anime is childish, but I still watch it. Dont think so about the games. I dunno about what my friends at school think about pokemon, if one of them liked, he probably wouldnt like to tell everyone about it. Yesterday my friend found out that I watch Pokemon and play the games after a little convo. One my friend who knows I play and watch pokemon had told to him that I have a secret, and of course he began to ask what is it. After a hour of discussion about the thing I said it. He laughed at me and said that the anime really sucks. I said something like yea there and said that dont EVER tell anyone else at school or someone else. I am kind of afraid now, I most likely will be bullied if everyone knows my little secret. ( I know, text is kinda hard to read x) )

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2016
    I think the games are not so childish at all, the anime I think is yes..but I like it the way it supposed to be...

Vie

Years
    people always bug me because I play the games.....
    I don't really like the series, but the games are awesome and NOT childish.
    In my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    In general, Pokemon is aimed at kids, especially the anime. The games, while they certainly can be enjoyed by anyone, I see as being aimed at kids/teens, as well as the older crowd who grew up on it (who were kids themselves when they were first hooked).

I can't really see older people getting into Pokemon that weren't at least somewhat into it as kids (though I could be wrong). I see it appealing to the older crowd in more of a nostalgic way, with new twists and features to keep it going.

There's nothing wrong with Pokemon being childish, since kids are who it's aimed at, and there's nothing wrong with being grown up and still liking it, because it's no different from still liking any other things that were all the rage when you were a kid. It's old school. Classic Game Boy awesomeness that still lives on.
    This guy has it. I also never got a response to, "Do you believe there is a different between "childish" and "kids series"?"

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I see Pokemon games for people of all ages. The T.V. show... Well maybe but most likely that seems like something more for the kids.
    Edit: post 666! OMG

Years
    >.> my secret has gotten out. earlier in the thred, i said how id be dissed? yeah, well, that day has arrived. My friend came over and we sat on the couch preparing for some smash bros om mai 64. He walks over to my table in my room, and looks at my game collection. He flicks through, and he comes across Snap and Stadium, right surroundins SSB. Now today i walk up to our lunch table, with my friends, and he spills them beans. IM so dissed now. I pretended that i hated it and stuff, saying it was fro when i was 7. Didnt pass by them, and now i is so dissed. Apparently, they think its childish.I dont

Nitrous Oxide

Korporate Amerika
    Years
    2/3's of it isn't. The main games aren't ("Kawachimaru recommended video game players who tend to think Pokémon is for children to try the Battle Frontier in Platinum because it adds complexity to the game." https://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/G4_interviews_Junichi_Masuda%2C_Takeshi_Kawachimaru), the TCG isn't, however the show is.

And most people tend to associate the show as the main thing for some reason.

However, since I'm at an age where "teasing" people doesn't really happen unless you're some loser with no friends, or emo, my friends and classmates don't really care too much. Well, the mature ones anyways. And the immature ones don't really have anything on me, they laugh at me, I can laugh right back at them for how annoying they are, etc. :)

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
    No. But this morning while we were going to get platinum, my dad said "This is ridiculous, 13 and 15 year old kids STILL playing pokemon"

Nemaru

nah
    Years
    Well, there are different ways of looking at it. I, for one, look at it like a pie. First, you have the breaded crust, which in Pokemon appears as a bright, lighthearded videogame designed for small children. But the filling, like blueberry or pumpkin on a regular pie, for Pokemon is an advanced strategy game based upon training mutated creatures that defy the laws of physics for competitions and your own sinister plans. CHILDISH? I THINK NOT.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years

on.

I have to correct you there.

I have actually known plenty of adults to enjoy Pokemon. Adults that were well into their 20's/30's by the time Pokemon came to the USA. My mom, for example, enjoyed watching the show with us when it came on in the 90's for the first time. She actually looked forward to watching it every morning. Her favorite Pokemon was Pikachu. She also liked Jigglypuff. My ex best friends dad also liked Pokemon. He loved playing the games. He had them all. Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire and Ruby. (the only ones that were out at the time) And he had the spinoffs, too. He watched the show AND collected the cards. The people that got me into the card game were a married couple that were into their 20's. They went to my church. They collected the cards and played the game. They didn't watch the show that often, but enjoyed it from time to time. They took me and my sister to see Pokemon: the First Movie. I could keep going; but you get my point.

I don't think Pokemon is childish. I don't think it ever really was. However, I do think that it (especially the anime) is aimed at children. That fact cannot be denied.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Where I am, if you admit you like Pokemon, you will be committting instant social suicide. I live near the border to Mexico, and quite a bit of people are gangster wannabes, then you have the 'mature' people who just waste away their childhood, and that takes up about 95% of my school. Then there's the four percent who hates a certain person who likes pokemon, turning them off from the game. I am not kidding, in a school of 1200 people, at least about 40 people hate him, but I think the number is close to 200. The remaining 1 percent probably likes it, that's about... 12 people?

Let me put it to you this way, if you don't play Grand Theft Auto or Halo, then you play childish games.

But in my own personal opinion, the Anime is intended for kids, but isn't childish, because it can teach lessons. It isn't exactly simple, but it's not complicated. It is for kids, but not childish.

The games aren't really childish, but more for all ages, like Mario, who is one of the most popular faces in the world, and Sonic, who too is also well-known.

The manga isn't really childish, but you've heard enough reasons as to why it isn't.

That's my view of this matter.

Years
    You know what?

While I was picking up Platinum yesterday from Gamestop...The employee started the usual reaction "PEOPLE STILL PLAY THIS?" and "ZOMG! The strategy guide is bigger than Fallout's !" I was like @_@ and started saying...."A lot of people still play this you know" and "Don't give me that, it's an underground thing"

And he was like "Oh I'm going to rebel against my parents by playing Pokemon"

LOL. XD

Lesson: The stereotype is still alive and well. :<

Keahi

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
    Well everytime I buy my Pokemon games from GameStop or other places like Wal-Mart or Target, I'm surprised that people I know like our local GameStop employees play Pokemon like I do on my spare time and since I'm currently playing Pokemon during school, school's basicly my spare time.

Back