• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon games come out too frequently ?

Speedy-Eevee

Speedy-Eevee
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 16, 2020
    In my opinion, I think mainline Pokémon games come out too soon. Between Pokémon Moon/Sun to Pokémon Sword/Shield there was only 3 years. Before the gaps were a little bigger. From Ruby/ Sapphire to Diamond/Pearl there was a 4 year age gap; then Black/White was another 4 years later. I know its only another year but I can feel the difference.

What do you guys think ? I would rather games take another year out so they can have more of a post game or enhance the features better.

Years
  • I wouldn't mind a 4 year gap as long as they consistently came out with at least one new DLC/Update every year in between games to keep things fresh. It would also help if they released more spin-off titles in the years between main series games, such as a Pokémon ranger on switch, Pokémon conquest on switch, etc. to help keep interest in the Pokemon franchise in general.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No. In fact, unpopular opinion, I'm 100% content with annual releases. So far we have had more or less playable games, so it's fine.

Years
  • Lately yeah. I feel like it's becoming more obvious that they're rushed to release games frequently, and quality suffers as a result. :( Even if there are 3-4 year gaps between each gen, we're usually getting games each year between then. This year it seems like we'll just be getting DLC for SwSh which I suppose is a bit better than a full-on new game/third version or etc, though it's still a little early to tell. Maybe we'll still get something else akin to Let's Go this year? (Doesn't seem like with the pandemic slowing things down but....idk)

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I feel like Pokemon games are coming out too frequently, yes. I think if the Pokemon company didn't make so many games so quickly maybe we'll get higher quality games? I miss the older games to be honest! I feel like the newer ones are a bit too easy (but that might also be me growing out of Pokemon).

pkmin3033

Given the declining quality of the games is directly proportionate to how frequently they release the things, yes, absolutely. Pokemon has been practically an annual series for several years now and whilst Game Freak's business model appears to be changing slightly with DLC, tbh that's just cutting content from the base games and releasing it gradually in place of a third version or second set of games. I don't think that's inherently better because it means they still release an incomplete package far too soon.

Game Freak need to actually take the time to make a quality product, and they can't do that releasing the games as frequently as they do, because it results in cut corners and a noticeable lack of polish. Also a lot of lying in pre-release interviews and advertising, which is just disrespectful to consumers who can very clearly see that they're being short-changed. I get that the games have to tie into the entire franchise, but there's nothing to say they can't slow that down either. It's corporate greed, plain and simple.

Back