• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think Pokemon has strayed from it's roots?

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2011
    Yes. I can't understand how there would be an Ice Cream pokemon.

But the storyline doesn't know either. Juniper wants to know how the Klinks originated. And there's also evolution in Pokemon, which can explain a lot.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    When Pokemon originally started, some of the Pokemon made sense, y'know?

Did you just seriously say that Pokemon made sense to you but now they don't. Please explain to me how powerful elemental creatures who no matter the size fit into tiny little balls and obey your every command made sense to you then but don't know. Explain to me please how Charizard: A fire breathing flying DRAGON makes sense to you whereas a Haxorus a DRAGON with an axe for a face makes less sense.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    For all five generations, the overall gameplay has remained pretty much the same. You're a beginning trainer, you receive your first Pokémon and set off on a journey to fill the Pokédex, challenge all eight Gyms, and eventually become the new region Champion. That's all stayed the same.

I mean, of course things have changed from generation to generation. That's inevitable; I personally would find each generation more boring than the last if it was just the same stuff each time. That's what I like about Pokémon, it manages to stay fresh with each game that comes out.

In terms of Pokémon design, I don't see what's wrong with having Pokémon that "don't make sense," as you put it, インフェルノの津波. I think it would be pretty boring to have the same animal-based designs over and over again. :/ I personally like that they're branching out and doing some different (even kind of ridiculous) kinds of designs, they're getting creative.

So has Pokémon strayed from its roots? No, I don't think it has. It's still the same "gotta catch 'em all" gameplay that it was when we were kids. The Pokémon may be different, but the game's still more or less the same.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
    Yes, the designs did change. But it made them better. Frankly, I find the gen I designs rather boring. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but they are just very basic. They don't look like fantasy creatures.
    I mean take a look at Greek mythology. It has many weird creatures, like the manticore: a lion with the face of a man, the tail of a scrorpion and sometimes even wings. It's a classical fantasy creature and very over the top. The fact that it could never excist in real life is what makes it exciting and awesome.

I want exciting, awesome and cool creatures. Not rather bland and boring ones.
    (But gen IV overdid the coolness. Gen V is just perfect. But gen II is still the best (due to nostalgic reasons, though))

Back