• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do You Think There Is Hope For Future Pokemon Games?

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    What do you mean by you miss the "simplicity?"

I don't know, I tried finding a good term for it. Sprites just feel simpler to me. Also a 2d overworld in a grid system and the story being just going to gyms and fighting the evil team every once in a while. Encounters being in grass and no Pokémon in the overworld. Cutscenes being text boxes you could basically speed through if you felt like it rather than massive cinematic thing and super slow walking animations. No annoying rotom phone with phrases, the tools being very simple versions. No time consuming, generation specific battle mechanics that I have no interest in.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I don't know, I tried finding a good term for it. Sprites just feel simpler to me. Also a 2d overworld in a grid system and the story being just going to gyms and fighting the evil team every once in a while. Encounters being in grass and no Pokémon in the overworld. Cutscenes being text boxes you could basically speed through if you felt like it rather than massive cinematic thing and super slow walking animations. No annoying rotom phone with phrases, the tools being very simple versions. No time consuming, generation specific battle mechanics that I have no interest in.

It sounds more like nostalgia than anything. My parents used to say similar things about video games in general, where they miss the "simplicity" of video games when they were more like Pacman compared to them being "more like movies" today with "lots of cutscenes" and "super realistic graphics." Quality just happens to improve over time. That's just the way things are.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    It sounds more like nostalgia than anything. My parents used to say similar things about video games in general, where they miss the "simplicity" of video games when they were more like Pacman compared to them being "more like movies" today with "lots of cutscenes" and "super realistic graphics." Quality just happens to improve over time. That's just the way things are.

Quality is quite subjective, there's absolutely no point in talking about "objective" improvements when talking about a video game that is 100% about taste. It's true that I've probably outgrown it, but I truly do not like the cartoonish style that's currently the look of Pokémon games. It's not necessarily a case of back in the good old days either, I play virtually no games with long cutscenes, and I play no games with this look that Pokémon has. It does not interest me. Don't get hung up on that word "simplicity", I couldn't find the one I wanted. I simply prefer Pokémon main line games in 2d. I find the current ones ugly.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Quality is quite subjective, there's absolutely no point in talking about "objective" improvements when talking about a video game that is 100% about taste. It's true that I've probably outgrown it, but I truly do not like the cartoonish style that's currently the look of Pokémon games. It's not necessarily a case of back in the good old days either, I play virtually no games with long cutscenes, and I play no games with this look that Pokémon has. It does not interest me. Don't get hung up on that word "simplicity", I couldn't find the one I wanted. I simply prefer Pokémon main line games in 2d. I find the current ones ugly.

That's not really the point that I was making. Regardless of what you call it, be it "quality" or some other word, video games just simply aren't going to look like Pacman forever. The same applies to Pokémon. Just as video games in general are no longer 2D maze games or asteroid shooters but cinematic games with storylines, Pokémon is no longer a 2D sprite game anymore. Pokémon is now a 100% 3D full adventure game with better graphics now.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    That's not really the point that I was making. Regardless of what you call it, be it "quality" or some other word, video games just simply aren't going to look like Pacman forever. The same applies to Pokémon. Just as video games in general are no longer 2D maze games or asteroid shooters but cinematic games with storylines, Pokémon is no longer a 2D sprite game anymore. Pokémon is now a 100% 3D full adventure game with better graphics now.

I disagree with the concept that the graphics are "better" now, but they are higher fidelity, yes.

The old, simple, retro 2D pixel art aesthetic is a perfectly valid artistic choice that is in no way inferior to full blown anime realistic (or even photo realistic) 3D models. It is very much a matter of taste there, you simply cannot compare art made in different times, under different restrictions, with different goals (the 2D era never tried to be realistic) and say one is better than the other. It'd be judging a fish by how it climbs a tree, or however that quote goes.

But I do agree that the game design (and the expectations of games) is in large part the product of the time the design phase is done in. The market has changed, the console power has changed and so the games must change as well, be it for better or for worse.

And that this is why I think that this discourse in particular is kinda of ultimately sisyphean - for a variety of reasons you can get more or less "behind" the market in what you expect and enjoy in a game, so you'll ultimately end up with a variety of factions on what is "a good step forward", a hopeful sign, versus "a step backwards" or a sign of hopelessness.

I've seen a lot of people say that Gen IV or V were the peak of Pokemon and that it never should have gone 3D and I've also seen a lot of people say the opposite, and that the shift for 3D was a needed and welcome evolutionary step for the series. Same thing with hard and easy, inch-deep-mile-wide vs inch-wide-mile-deep and so on.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023

Well exactly, and I don't like that. That's why I said I probably wouldn't care for future Pokémon games. I truly don't understand why you have a problem with this...

(...)
    I've seen a lot of people say that Gen IV or V were the peak of Pokemon and that it never should have gone 3D and I've also seen a lot of people say the opposite, and that the shift for 3D was a needed and welcome evolutionary step for the series. Same thing with hard and easy, inch-deep-mile-wide vs inch-wide-mile-deep and so on.

Personally, I don't mind that Pokémon games have gone 3d. I dislike it in hindsight because I dislike the style choice. Not something I intended to continue arguing about, just wanted to say it! I appreciate your contribution and agree with you 100%.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    For me i hope they made separate series where it is not open world, i don't know maybe I become realistic and seeing that Pokémon charm is not open world and stop reading websites like kotaku and other websites who poison my mind with amazing idea of open world

Of course I understand people still want open world so yeah i hope they have separate series

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I disagree with the concept that the graphics are "better" now, but they are higher fidelity, yes. The old, simple, retro 2D pixel art aesthetic is a perfectly valid artistic choice that is in no way inferior to full blown anime realistic (or even photo realistic) 3D models. It is very much a matter of taste there, you simply cannot compare art made in different times, under different restrictions, with different goals (the 2D era never tried to be realistic) and say one is better than the other. It'd be judging a fish by how it climbs a tree, or however that quote goes.

I disagree. You very much can compare art from different time periods. The thing is, when you're judging "art," it's always based upon tastes because that's what art itself is based upon. I'm not saying the 2D pixel art is invalid. I'm saying that things change over time, including video game graphics. With that, I can't agree Pokémon games "won't be as good as they were in the past" or that "there is no hope for future Pokémon games" simply because the graphics are no longer outdated. When it comes to technology in general, quality tends to improve over time. Yes, it definitely boils down to a matter of taste, but the question is, what is that "taste" based upon? That's what I'm interested in learning.

But I do agree that the game design (and the expectations of games) is in large part the product of the time the design phase is done in. The market has changed, the console power has changed and so the games must change as well, be it for better or for worse.

Exactly, and for that reason alone, I believe Pokémon's future is great, especially in a graphical and technical standpoint. In fact, Pokémon can only get better from there.

And that this is why I think that this discourse in particular is kinda of ultimately sisyphean - for a variety of reasons you can get more or less "behind" the market in what you expect and enjoy in a game, so you'll ultimately end up with a variety of factions on what is "a good step forward", a hopeful sign, versus "a step backwards" or a sign of hopelessness.

"Sisyphean." Interesting. That's a new word that I never heard of. I had to look that one up. Either way, I disagree. It's possible that we can reach an agreement on whether or not the changes are good for the series as a whole, or as to whether or not a person can still enjoy Pokémon despite the changes. My view however is that I don't think a series should be discarded simply because it no longer looks "simple." There are other reasons not to like the new Pokémon games too, which may not be relevant to graphics. I just feel that Pokémon is doing so many great things nowadays that people's reasoning for not liking the newer games really pique my interests.

Personally, I believe that Pokémon is at its peak now, although I still believe that the best Pokémon games came from generation V. However, my reasoning for these beliefs is not based on the graphics or simplicity. For instance, I believe Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is currently the peak for Pokémon right now because of its open world adventure gameplay that finally allows you to play Pokémon with tons of freedom. No HM moves, roadblocks, Pokémon attacking you every time you walk in tall grass, caves, or surf on water, being forced into trainer battles, and the list goes on. However, I consider gen 5 to have the best games because it told the best story, has the best legendaries, best villain team, a full Pokédex during its time, introduced the most new Pokémon that are really good in battle, is more mature, and is based on a place where I grew up. There is also some nostalgia there, as it was the first Pokémon game I played. Yet, everything Game Freak did after gen V improved upon the series in many ways, especially regarding what they're doing now. That's why I believe that there is hope Pokémon games in the future.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Well exactly, and I don't like that. That's why I said I probably wouldn't care for future Pokémon games. I truly don't understand why you have a problem with this...

I don't have a problem with it. I'm just simply having a discussion with you about a post that you made. You gave your opinion, clarified it after I asked what you meant, and I simply commented that it sounded like nostalgia and that things change over time. After that, you mentioned something about subjectivity and how it is 100% based on tastes, which I already know. I felt that wasn't relevant to what I said, so I just simply made my point again that things change over time. That's all there is to it, really. I don't have any "problem" with you not liking something. If anything, I am just interested in finding out why people have the tastes that they do. That's why I asked you what you meant by "simplicity." If nostalgia actually isn't the reason why you have these tastes, then that's perfectly fine, as I never said it wasn't. You can dislike something for whatever reason you choose.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I don't have a problem with it. I'm just simply having a discussion with you about a post that you made. You gave your opinion, clarified it after I asked what you meant, and I simply commented that it sounded like nostalgia and that things change over time. After that, you mentioned something about subjectivity and how it is 100% based on tastes, which I already know. I felt that wasn't relevant to what I said, so I just simply made my point again that things change over time. That's all there is to it, really. I don't have any "problem" with you not liking something. If anything, I am just interested in finding out why people have the tastes that they do. That's why I asked you what you meant by "simplicity." If nostalgia actually isn't the reason why you have these tastes, then that's perfectly fine, as I never said it wasn't. You can dislike something for whatever reason you choose.

"Sounds like nostalgia more than anything" as a comment on my taste isn't anything more than dismissing the validity of it. And your further comment that Pokémon will continue being 3D isn't really more than repeating what I've already said, in fact that was what my entire point was.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I disagree. You very much can compare art from different time periods. The thing is, when you're judging "art," it's always based upon tastes because that's what art itself is based upon. I'm not saying the 2D pixel art is invalid. I'm saying that things change over time, including video game graphics. Yes, it definitely boils down to a matter of taste, but the question is, what is that "taste" based upon? That's what I'm interested in learning.

You can in the sense that there's nothing physically stopping you from doing the comparison. You can't in the sense that it isn't a meaningful comparison outside of subjective taste, as you yourself agreed.

You can like oranges more than apples but neither is an inherently better fruit than the other.

And I could continue with an essay on the philosophy of art but this would veer wildly off-topic but a PGC thread, so I'll just leave it at that.

"Sisyphean." Interesting. That's a new word that I never heard of. I had to look that one up. Either way, I disagree. It's possible that we can reach an agreement on whether or not the changes are good for the series as a whole, or as to whether or not a person can still enjoy Pokémon despite the changes. My view however is that I don't think a series should be discarded simply because it no longer looks "simple." There are other reasons not to like the new Pokémon games too, which may not be relevant to graphics. I just feel that Pokémon is doing so many great things nowadays that people's reasoning for not liking the newer games really pique my interests.

I sincerely think we won't because we can't even agree what makes any one entry good or not. There are people like yourself that are all about the competitive scene, there are people that are all about the single scene, there are people that are all about the lore.

Like in some other thread here there was this person that said Scarlet and Violet was bad because, among other things, there weren't discussions on it on how to do a proper paella. That never crossed my mind as a negative (neither did having said discussions as a positive) and I'm fairly certain that never crossed your mind either.

People just want and expect and like wildly different things and for a series as broad as Pokémon it means that consensus is a very hard thing to come by. You mention downpost that you think that the best Pokémon games came from generation V, I hate them and think they're easily my least favorite games in the entire series for a variety of reasons.

And the thing is, games are ultimately for entertainment. Dastr happens to like simple games and that's fine. I won't lie and say that I don't think their reasons seem to be largely nostalgia based but so what? It's a AAA game they play in their spare time, liking or not doesn't need to have a deep reason behind it and it's not like going "Oh, I didn't like it" is going to meaningfully hurt the creators the game.

They can drop the series for whatever reason, and as long as said reasons are reasonable to them, that's fine. They could dislike the series' direction for something as vapid as "I hate orange and purple" and it would be a valid reason for them not to play it any longer.

Personally, I believe that Pokémon is at its peak now, although I still believe that the best Pokémon games came from generation V. However, my reasoning for these beliefs is not based on the graphics or simplicity. For instance, I believe Pokémon Scarlet and Violet is currently the peak for Pokémon right now because of its open world adventure gameplay that finally allows you to play Pokémon with tons of freedom. No HM moves, roadblocks, Pokémon attacking you every time you walk in tall grass, caves, or surf on water, being forced into trainer battles, and the list goes on. However, I consider gen 5 to have the best games because it told the best story, has the best legendaries, best villain team, a full Pokédex during its time, introduced the most new Pokémon that are really good in battle, is more mature, and is based on a place where I grew up. There is also some nostalgia there, as it was the first Pokémon game I played. Yet, everything Game Freak did after gen V improved upon the series in many ways, especially regarding what they're doing now. That's why I believe that there is hope Pokémon games in the future.

The peak and the best being different seems a bit contradictory but OK.

And while your evaluation might not take graphics into account, a bunch of people take and that's fine. It's the video part of videogame.

Some people like MUDs which are all text, others are OK with terminal games like Dwarf Fortress and Rogue, others are OK with any visual games, others prefer games that are more visuals than games and others only like full blown 3D productions.

While there's a lot to be said about the subject, at the end of the day these are all valid approaches to determining whether they like how the series is going.

And in the interest of keeping the peace, you and Dastr seem to be talking past each other now, can you just stop engaging with them for now, at least for this particular line of conversation?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    You can in the sense that there's nothing physically stopping you from doing the comparison. You can't in the sense that it isn't a meaningful comparison outside of subjective taste, as you yourself agreed. You can like oranges more than apples but neither is an inherently better fruit than the other. And I could continue with an essay on the philosophy of art but this would veer wildly off-topic but a PGC thread, so I'll just leave it at that. I sincerely think we won't because we can't even agree what makes any one entry good or not. There are people like yourself that are all about the competitive scene, there are people that are all about the single scene, there are people that are all about the lore. Like in some other thread here there was this person that said Scarlet and Violet was bad because, among other things, there weren't discussions on it on how to do a proper paella. That never crossed my mind as a negative (neither did having said discussions as a positive) and I'm fairly certain that never crossed your mind either. People just want and expect and like wildly different things and for a series as broad as Pokémon it means that consensus is a very hard thing to come by. You mention downpost that you think that the best Pokémon games came from generation V, I hate them and think they're easily my least favorite games in the entire series for a variety of reasons. And the thing is, games are ultimately for entertainment. Dastr happens to like simple games and that's fine. I won't lie and say that I don't think their reasons seem to be largely nostalgia based but so what? It's a AAA game they play in their spare time, liking or not doesn't need to have a deep reason behind it and it's not like going "Oh, I didn't like it" is going to meaningfully hurt the creators the game. They can drop the series for whatever reason, and as long as said reasons are reasonable to them, that's fine. They could dislike the series' direction for something as vapid as "I hate orange and purple" and it would be a valid reason for them not to play it any longer. The peak and the best being different seems a bit contradictory but OK.A nd while your evaluation might not take graphics into account, a bunch of people take and that's fine. It's the video part of videogame. Some people like MUDs which are all text, others are OK with terminal games like Dwarf Fortress and Rogue, others are OK with any visual games, others prefer games that are more visuals than games and others only like full blown 3D productions. While there's a lot to be said about the subject, at the end of the day these are all valid approaches to determining whether they like how the series is going. And in the interest of keeping the peace, you and Dastr seem to be talking past each other now, can you just stop engaging with them for now, at least for this particular line of conversation?

I disagree with that. I don't think that topics lack meaning simply because they are "subjective." Considering that subjectivity refers to people's personal feelings, tastes, and opinions, people can have meaningful discussions regarding why they have those personal feelings, tastes, and opinions. Regarding the apples and oranges analogy, the topic doesn't have to be about which fruit is "inherently better." Instead, the possibility exists that people can have a healthy discussion about why they prefer one fruit over the other and maybe introduce new ideas that could open people's minds to new personal tastes, feelings, and opinions. For instance, maybe we can discuss which is healthier and make some suggestions on what fruit to eat more. Subjective topics should never be gatekept under the premise that "it's just my opinion; deal with it." Objectivity and facts should never be the only topics for debate. The same exact logic should apply to Pokémon too. You're making it seem as if I'm invalidating other people's opinions, as if I'm saying they're not allowed to dislike the new games for whatever reason. If so, that's not true.

I am 100% fine with people not liking the new games for any reason. However, I love the new games and I enjoy having conversations with people that don't love them for reasons stated earlier. Like you mentioned, if someone says that they don't like the new games because they don't like the literal scarlet and violet colors, sure their opinion is "valid," but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't have a healthy discussion about that opinion. For example, maybe we can ask why the literal colors even matter to begin with and how they're relevant, and ask that person if they enjoy certain aspects of gameplay in video games. If they do and those aspects happen to exist in the new Pokémon games, then we can have a healthy discussion about the matter and maybe suggest that they might enjoy the game because of those gameplay features and potentially introduce them to new positive subjective experiences. If they're not interested, then they can simply say that they won't enjoy the game no matter what or simply not respond in the first place. This is basic common sense and social skills 101.

As for me and Dastr95, I tried my best to ensure Dastr95 that I didn't intend to invalidate their opinions. I simply wanted to discuss them. Nevertheless, and this is important, people have to understand that when posting in a topic about whether or not there is hope for future Pokémon games and whether or not Pokémon will ever be good as it used to be, everybody won't share the same views. This means that people with different opinions are likely to come by and explain why they have such an opinion. If you share your opinion, you should expect other people to respond to that opinion as well, especially if they disagree. If the responses are within the rules, then no reason should exist for them not to be peaceful. My response of Pokémon games evolving and not being 2D forever is 100% relevant to the topic of Pokémon having hope in the future and is not, by any means, intended to invalidate Dastr95's opinions. The same exact logic applies to them not liking the game for nostalgic purposes, which they claim is false, and that's fine. If Dastr95 can understand that, then there is absolutely no reason for this conversation not to be peaceful. It's just that challenging someone's opinion doesn't mean that I "have a problem with it." It's important that they understand that. If they can't understand that or accept that fact, then we don't need to speak on it anymore. If we can establish that, then we can have a healthy discussion. If not, then they can say that they don't want to discuss it further or just simply not respond. I just find it strange how people can post their opinion in an arguably controversial thread that is likely to attract various opinions, but seem to have an issue with people discussing said opinions.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I disagree with that. I don't think that topics lack meaning simply because they are "subjective." Considering that subjectivity refers to people's personal feelings, tastes, and opinions, people can have meaningful discussions regarding why they have those personal feelings, tastes, and opinions. Regarding the apples and oranges analogy, the topic doesn't have to be about which fruit is "inherently better." Instead, the possibility exists that people can have a healthy discussion about why they prefer one fruit over the other and maybe introduce new ideas that could open people's minds to new personal tastes, feelings, and opinions. For instance, maybe we can discuss which is healthier and make some suggestions on what fruit to eat more. Subjective topics should never be gatekept under the premise that "it's just my opinion; deal with it." Objectivity and facts should never be the only topics for debate. The same exact logic should apply to Pokémon too. You're making it seem as if I'm invalidating other people's opinions, as if I'm saying they're not allowed to dislike the new games for whatever reason. If so, that's not true.

Of course we can discuss why one prefers one fruit over the other and introduce new ideas. But by using vocabulary like "better" and "outdated" you are implicitly making a value judgement and implying that the discussion is "X is inherently better because of Y" instead of "I prefer X because of Y".

If something is outdated, it necessarily means that there has been some kind of invention that makes it no longer useful. If something is better, it means that by definition something else is worse. It'd be one thing if you specified for what metric they are better, or in what sense they are outdated, but you didn't, giving the overall impression that you're talking about an intrinsic property of that thing instead of how it fits within a given niche.

I am 100% fine with people not liking the new games for any reason. However, I love the new games and I enjoy having conversations with people that don't love them for reasons stated earlier. Like you mentioned, if someone says that they don't like the new games because they don't like the literal scarlet and violet colors, sure their opinion is "valid," but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't have a healthy discussion about that opinion. For example, maybe we can ask why the literal colors even matter to begin with and how they're relevant, and ask that person if they enjoy certain aspects of gameplay in video games. If they do and those aspects happen to exist in the new Pokémon games, then we can have a healthy discussion about the matter and maybe suggest that they might enjoy the game because of those gameplay features and potentially introduce them to new positive subjective experiences. If they're not interested, then they can simply say that they won't enjoy the game no matter what or simply not respond in the first place. This is basic common sense and social skills 101.

Sure, and it has happened in this thread. Dastr gave their opinion, you replied, and then they all but stated that they didn't want to continue discussing this any further. Or rather, they did state that they were done arguing the 2D vs 3D thing, just not in direct response to you.

They gave their answer and just as they can "not respond in the first place" you can also not continue a conversation when the other party is uncomfortable.

As for me and Dastr95, I tried my best to ensure Dastr95 that I didn't intend to invalidate their opinions. I simply wanted to discuss them. Nevertheless, and this is important, people have to understand that when posting in a topic about whether or not there is hope for future Pokémon games and whether or not Pokémon will ever be good as it used to be, everybody won't share the same views. This means that people with different opinions are likely to come by and explain why they have such an opinion. If you share your opinion, you should expect other people to respond to that opinion as well, especially if they disagree. If the responses are within the rules, then no reason should exist for them not to be peaceful. My response of Pokémon games evolving and not being 2D forever is 100% relevant to the topic of Pokémon having hope in the future and is not, by any means, intended to invalidate Dastr95's opinions. The same exact logic applies to them not liking the game for nostalgic purposes, which they claim is false, and that's fine. If Dastr95 can understand that, then there is absolutely no reason for this conversation not to be peaceful. It's just that challenging someone's opinion doesn't mean that I "have a problem with it." It's important that they understand that. If they can't understand that or accept that fact, then we don't need to speak on it anymore. If we can establish that, then we can have a healthy discussion. If not, then they can say that they don't want to discuss it further or just simply not respond. I just find it strange how people can post their opinion in an arguably controversial thread that is likely to attract various opinions, but seem to have an issue with people discussing said opinions.

And unfortunately, it seems like you failed, your wording felt dismissive to Dastr95. Sometimes it happens, but continuing to make the same point without changing your overall approach is unlikely to yield results.

The both of you are talking past each other, saying more or less the same thing over and over.

You think their opinion is informed by nostalgia and liking the past, they basically said, "Yeah, so what? I like how it was in the past, the future will likely not be the same way, so odds are, I won't like the future.", you replied in a way that they thought was condescending and dismissive.

It seems that you fundamentally think you're having a very different conversation than Dastr95 thinks you're having, which is why this isn't productive.

They have said their opinion, they discussed this, there was miscommunication and now they're over the discussion.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Of course we can discuss why one prefers one fruit over the other and introduce new ideas. But by using vocabulary like "better" and "outdated" you are implicitly making a value judgement and implying that the discussion is "X is inherently better because of Y" instead of "I prefer X because of Y". If something is outdated, it necessarily means that there has been some kind of invention that makes it no longer useful. If something is better, it means that by definition something else is worse. It'd be one thing if you specified for what metric they are better, or in what sense they are outdated, but you didn't, giving the overall impression that you're talking about an intrinsic property of that thing instead of how it fits within a given niche. Sure, and it has happened in this thread. Dastr gave their opinion, you replied, and then they all but stated that they didn't want to continue discussing this any further. Or rather, they did state that they were done arguing the 2D vs 3D thing, just not in direct response to you. They gave their answer and just as they can "not respond in the first place" you can also not continue a conversation when the other party is uncomfortable. And unfortunately, it seems like you failed, your wording felt dismissive to Dastr95. Sometimes it happens, but continuing to make the same point without changing your overall approach is unlikely to yield results. The both of you are talking past each other, saying more or less the same thing over and over. You think their opinion is informed by nostalgia and liking the past, they basically said, "Yeah, so what? I like how it was in the past, the future will likely not be the same way, so odds are, I won't like the future.", you replied in a way that they thought was condescending and dismissive. It seems that you fundamentally think you're having a very different conversation than Dastr95 thinks you're having, which is why this isn't productive. They have said their opinion, they discussed this, there was miscommunication and now they're over the discussion.

I'm not implying anything. Simply put, I never mentioned anything about anything being "inherently better." People can only assume that's what I meant, and assumptions aren't facts. Saying that something is "better" or "outdated" doesn't automatic speak to what is "inherent." The terms "better" and "outdated" are subjective in themselves and it's possible that we both can come into an agreement on whether or not they apply to the relevance of the topic at hand. That's how all discussions and debates on subjective topics go.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to the other user thinking I'm being condescending and dismissive, me explaining that I'm not, and them still believing otherwise. You said they claimed they didn't want to discuss it, but yet, they still took the time to respond to tell me that I'm trying to "invalidate their opinions" when that wasn't the case. With that, I guess you're right that this conversation doesn't need to continue.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Just logged in after a short break and... oh my.

Do You Think There Is Hope For Future Pokemon Games?

Probably will make a post regarding the developments in the thread later.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Okay, i'm back. I was initially going to do a longer post analyzing what happend between Dastr and Sweet, but honestly i'm too tired to do so and don't think I would do a great job putting my thoughts into words. I'll just say Sweet didn't intentionally mean to sound dismissive of Dastr's opinion, but there were some points he could have worded some things better.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Okay, i'm back. I was initially going to do a longer post analyzing what happend between Dastr and Sweet, but honestly i'm too tired to do so and don't think I would do a great job putting my thoughts into words. I'll just say Sweet didn't intentionally mean to sound dismissive of Dastr's opinion, but there were some points he could have worded some things better.

When you mention "there were some points he could have worded better," who exactly are you referring to? Are you referring me while assuming that I'm a "he," or the other person? The other person didn't specify their gender, so I'd just refer to them as "they." If you're referring to me, I worded my post the best way that I possibly could. It's just that, whenever I hear someone talk about how they "miss" something of the past, it sounds nostalgic to me. Yet, they claimed it wasn't nostalgia. I have no problem with people feeling nostalgic about something, as we all have degrees of that, but they insisted that I did, which wasn't true. Yet, I also noticed what the title of the thread is and took note of the question that they answered. In their first post in this thread, they basically answered that there is no hope for the future of Pokémon games, with a preference of 2D games serving as their reasoning. That's why I said that games aren't going to look the same forever. That wasn't me attempting to invalidate their opinion, but rather explain that the evolution of games is relevant to the topic about the future of Pokémon having hope. From there, we could have simply discussed whether or not it was true and maybe share perspectives that could open our minds to new experiences, but that never happened. Either way, the situation was not really as serious as it looked. It's not unusual for Duck and I have to conversations similar to what took place in this thread. Yet, I am willing to discuss this topic that wants to discuss it with me as long as we can keep on topic and stay within the rules.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    When you mention "there were some points he could have worded better," who exactly are you referring to? Are you referring me while assuming that I'm a "he," or the other person? The other person didn't specify their gender, so I'd just refer to them as "they." If you're referring to me, I worded my post the best way that I possibly could. It's just that, whenever I hear someone talk about how they "miss" something of the past, it sounds nostalgic to me. Yet, they claimed it wasn't nostalgia. I have no problem with people feeling nostalgic about something, as we all have degrees of that, but they insisted that I did, which wasn't true. Yet, I also noticed what the title of the thread is and took note of the question that they answered. In their first post in this thread, they basically answered that there is no hope for the future of Pokémon games, with a preference of 2D games serving as their reasoning. That's why I said that games aren't going to look the same forever. That wasn't me attempting to invalidate their opinion, but rather explain that the evolution of games is relevant to the topic about the future of Pokémon having hope. From there, we could have simply discussed whether or not it was true and maybe share perspectives that could open our minds to new experiences, but that never happened. Either way, the situation was not really as serious as it looked. It's not unusual for Duck and I have to conversations similar to what took place in this thread. Yet, I am willing to discuss this topic that wants to discuss it with me as long as we can keep on topic and stay within the rules.

Yeah I probably should have been a bit more clear with who I was referring to. I was adressing Sweet Serenity with the whole "could have worded some things better" bit, but I wrote it when I was tired and defaulted to "He". Oops.

The main reason I did say you could have worded some of your arguments better is that words like "Outdated" and "Better" have pre-established connotations that might have made it appear that you were saying that 2D graphics are objectively worse and that it's wierd or illogical to enjoy them more than the newer graphics. (Again, I am 100% sure you did NOT mean people to take it that way, but some might have.) Then from there the topic just kinda shifted from where it was supposed to be. I'm kinda new here, so I have no idea how common it is for discussions to divert like that. Looking back though I might have thought this was a bigger deal than it actually was.

Speaking of the discussion, I actually don't think it's nostalgia alone why some fans prefer the older graphics and gameplay, myself included. Nostalgia does play a big part in it, but the presentation felt more polished in the older titles to me. Graphically, Gen 5 in particular had puppet sprites that offered some of the most expressive Pokemon the series has seen, with even all trainers getting animated in B2W2. The new graphics are servicable, but rough landscape modeling, more stiff animations, and ocassionaly washed out colors make those games feel more rushed. Gameplay-wise my opion is a lot more biased though. I think the open-world in Scarlet/Violet is great (albeit I think it could be elaborated on in future titles) but my heart still clings to the old ways. In the end however i'm a lot more optimistic for the future of the series than I have been in a while.

Back