• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think there will be a Third Legendary?

Years
    We're still not sure is Magearna will be a standard legendary or an event-exclusive Mythical. If gen 6 was anything to go by, the Mythicals won't have any sort of lore (at least in-game), which is why I'd like a classic (non-event) trio--they have a better chance of being given some sort of sub-plot to add to the narrative and overall content of the games.

Outside of the mascots, the only legendaries we got in XY were Zygarde and the Mythicals; I wasn't a huge fan of that so I hope it isn't repeated in SM.

Magearna has been stated to be a mythical so knowing me it won't really have any lore ingame. I do agree with you about the XY legendaries, there was really no legendaries apart from the mascots and that had a lot of disappointment factor. For SM we need more non-mythical legendaries and I'll be fine with it.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    There probably will be a 3rd legendary. Even if it doesn't get its own game, after all Zygarde didn't get its own game either.

But if that's the case, I do hope they'll add some postgame content about that legend, like how they did with Rayquaza in OR/AS. No idea why they didn't do that with Zygarde in X and Y cause by then they should've already known that they weren't going to make a 3rd Kalos game.

Some more legends would be nice but not necessary. As long as it's not a huge load of them like in gen 4 and 5.

Years
    Some more legends would be nice but not necessary. As long as it's not a huge load of them like in gen 4 and 5.

I recall 1st Gen only had five legendaries while 4th/5th Gen both had 14 (though Phione's legendary status is questionable) so I think a good number would be somewhere between that. 8 or 9 could be a solid number that's in the middle.

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
    I recall 1st Gen only had five legendaries while 4th/5th Gen both had 14 (though Phione's legendary status is questionable) so I think a good number would be somewhere between that. 8 or 9 could be a solid number that's in the middle.

True. Also gen 4 and 5 had a lot of unnecessary legends. Like Heatran, Cresselia, the kami trio, the musketeer trio. I mean, all of those had basically no story to them. They were just, there. And that's a bit of a shame since they could've added postgame content about them.

Years
    True. Also gen 4 and 5 had a lot of unnecessary legends. Like Heatran, Cresselia, the kami trio, the musketeer trio. I mean, all of those had basically no story to them. They were just, there. And that's a bit of a shame since they could've added postgame content about them.

I never hated these legendaries but the lack of backstory to most of them does make it understandable behind being "unnecessary" but then look at 6th Gen which only had 6 (3 of which were mythicals) and we had barely anything explored in regards to them, especially Zygarde who got shafted to the point it didn't get its own game unlike Xerneas and Yveltal.

This is why I'm hoping for around 9 legendaries (heck even 8) for 7th Gen because I do want some legendaries but I don't want too few or too much and this would be a good middle ground.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    We haven't had a mascot legendary trio since 2nd Gen (who had a mascot duo and then used Suicune for Crystal) and with Game Freak apparently saying third versions are not going to be a thing anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a third member to go with Solgaleo and Lunaala.

Wait, what? If we're going by the same definition of mascot trio (legendaries that form a trio, each of which serving as mascots on a game), then it was only 5th gen that we last got one. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem all served as mascots. Going back just one more gen, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina served as the mascots for Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum respectively. And I definitely think there might have been at least plans for a Pokémon Z that might have been abandoned so that we could just get to 7th gen (because they wanted this year to be "more special" being the 20th anniversary and all). After all, we still haven't gotten to see all of Zygarde's forms in game.

So, I definitely feel it wouldn't be at all unexpected to get a third member to go with Solgaleo and Lunaala.

Years
    Wait, what? If we're going by the same definition of mascot trio (legendaries that form a trio, each of which serving as mascots on a game), then it was only 5th gen that we last got one. Reshiram, Zekrom, and Kyurem all served as mascots. Going back just one more gen, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina served as the mascots for Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum respectively. And I definitely think there might have been at least plans for a Pokémon Z that might have been abandoned so that we could just get to 7th gen (because they wanted this year to be "more special" being the 20th anniversary and all). After all, we still haven't gotten to see all of Zygarde's forms in game.

So, I definitely feel it wouldn't be at all unexpected to get a third member to go with Solgaleo and Lunaala.

I heard theories a Z version may have been planned but got scrapped due to Game Freak being like "hey 2016 is 20th anniversary so we need to launch a new generation instead" and I believe that they talked to anime writers that Zygarde should be developed in the anime instead.

Maybe Game Freak might release a statement as to why Zygarde never got its own game, or even if its leaked signature moves or new forms will ever be made available in 7th Gen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I heard theories a Z version may have been planned but got scrapped due to Game Freak being like "hey 2016 is 20th anniversary so we need to launch a new generation instead" and I believe that they talked to anime writers that Zygarde should be developed in the anime instead.

Maybe Game Freak might release a statement as to why Zygarde never got its own game, or even if its leaked signature moves or new forms will ever be made available in 7th Gen.

And let's not forget the Exclusive Fairy move AZ's Floette has.

Back